• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SMT10 Front Axle problem, please help!

Magico 69

Hi! I am total novice to R/C, recently bought SMT10 RTR brand new and only had it out twice. After its second run and couple of minor jumps on grass I discovered a serious problem with front axle. Both front wheels wobble a lot. Nuts are tightened correctly. EPA is set correctly. Hexes sit tight. There seems be a little bit of expected play in the hubs but hexes seem to be spinning fine. It kind of feels like when hex is too thin for the wheel and doesn’t hold it snug. Also wheels rub against the steering links inside the wheel when turning now, causing them to scrape and lock. I feel like both problems might be related. It doesn’t seem like anything’s been bent or damaged. Please see below vids that explain my issue. I’d appreciate any help from fellow Axial owners, as I am quite desperate to get it running for the summer 😊

C9184E70-FD79-4071-B3F5-F036349C07AC.jpeg

AF870DB5-AAD2-42EF-9A17-2C64796E9E47.jpeg

Remove both front wheels check the axle is not bent, if not bent it may simply be a case of using wider wheel hexes plenty available on ebay from 3mm to 12mm. You may want to change the bar from servo and steering rod to metal as well as they are quite bendy.

As for hitting the link mine is same I just turned down the EPA on my transmitter so it wont rub but not turning circle is not great.

certainly something not right there maybe axle bent or bearings are knacked at wheel end of axle but not sure mate  theres something bent or loose there 

Edited by Stormbringer

@sunny @Stormbringer thanks a lot  for your help! I’ll disassemble axles on my days off and check if anything is bent or if bearings are damaged. When you say bent axle you mean the whole big plastic assembly that runs across the wheels or just the hub axles that hold the hexes? Somethings wrong there I just need to find out what! Thicker hexes also seem like a plan! I’ll keep you both updated of any progress in this thread 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunny said:

Remove both front wheels check the axle is not bent, if not bent it may simply be a case of using wider wheel hexes plenty available on ebay from 3mm to 12mm. You may want to change the bar from servo and steering rod to metal as well as they are quite bendy.

As for hitting the link mine is same I just turned down the EPA on my transmitter so it wont rub but not turning circle is not great.

What hex thickness would be perfect for stock SMT10 to bring the  front wheels out a bit and don’t cause too much strain on the axles?