• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can anyone recommend me an air compressor

lazkopat

Hi,

I got this one some weeks ago for £88.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SGS-6-Litre-Oil-Less-Direct-Drive-Air-Compressor-5-7CFM-1-5HP-6L/181318675687?epid=2202130731&hash=item2a376f6ce7:g:DWgAAOSwAhxe8IAU

And I am very happy with it.

At that time I was lucky to have all the accessories included.

Now they are selling the same with accessories for more:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SGS-6-Litre-Oil-Less-Direct-Drive-Air-Compressor-5-Piece-Tool-Kit-5-7CFM-1/171239203019?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I don't think you will get a cheaper one with a reasonable sized tank and pressure.

6 litres is just fine to be portable enough and to provide max pressure for a good while (10 seconds, then the pump goes on).

I also thought of this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/240V-Electric-Compact-Air-Compressor-Greenworks-6L-4600RPM-300W/202801124388?epid=22035410240&hash=item2f37e39424:g:u44AAOSwj-5d0sLk

Might be a bit more portable. But some negative comments let me drop it.

Ultra portable with 18V battery would be this one, but comes with a much steaper price:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-R18AC-0-Cordless-Air-Compressor/dp/B0846KMGDQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ryobi+air+compressor&qid=1608229039&sr=8-1

• Like 1

I got one of those from Machine Mart about 6 months ago, been perfect for my usage, which is mainly blow off gun for RC, lawnmower, etc etc, and with the pressure gauge doing the tyres on the cars.  Fills quite quickly, lasts longer than I thought it would before re-filling the tank, and is actually light enough to carry round to your work area - I carry it round to the cars at the front of the house, and upstairs for any post DIY clean up duties (great for getting old silicone out from behind radiators!). 

On 20/12/2020 at 13:12, bertberr said:

I got one of those from Machine Mart about 6 months ago, been perfect for my usage, which is mainly blow off gun for RC, lawnmower, etc etc, and with the pressure gauge doing the tyres on the cars.  Fills quite quickly, lasts longer than I thought it would before re-filling the tank, and is actually light enough to carry round to your work area - I carry it round to the cars at the front of the house, and upstairs for any post DIY clean up duties (great for getting old silicone out from behind radiators!). 

thanks for sharing your experience with it. I guess that it's not so bulky then and looks and seems compact?

It doesn't seem any bigger/smaller than any of the other 24 litre units I looked at.  The only ones that are noticeably smaller (though no less tall) are those SGS 6 litre oil free units, or the Clarke Bandit 8 litre jobbie, but I wanted a little more headroom capacity wise, and also oil lubrication, so the SGS 6lt was out of the running.  I was going to order the SGS version of the 8 lt Bandit (I quickly realised there's only about one or two base units at any given capacity/price point, just painted a different colour for the various brands), but after watching a couple of reviews of SGS units, where there were various little issues out the box (though none major), I decided to go local bricks & mortar, just less hassle should something go wrong.  So that meant Toolstation, SF or MM.   As I was driving past MM the following day, I decided to pick up the Bandit from there, but having looked at the Tiger 24 litre whilst there, I realised that the quality/spec was identical, but you were getting an extra 16 litres for 7 quid, and it really wasn't that much bigger in the real world (or a lot heavier).

Hope that helps with your decision, long story short, I think I was guilty of massively over thinking this whole exercise, as really they're all pretty much the same, really wouldn't be surprised if they were all made in the exact same Chinese factory.  One thing they all have in common however is that they're all big/heavy enough that you really don't want to be packing the damn thing up and posting it back to some mail order co. should there be a real issue - can't beat local for one of these imo.

• Like 1