• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Chromebook for my sister.

Oh How Original

I bought my brother-in-law a 1.9 Wraith for Christmas and my sister has been thinking about buying a chromebook, so I am going to surprise her with one.

Doing a bit of covert question asking, she's only really going to use it for FB browsing, she runs a couple of groups on there and wants something bigger than her phone.

But I am stumped on what to get and what specs.

Looking around and they only seem to be pretty basic in specs, like 4gb ram, 32-64gb hdd space, she won't be putting music and movies on it or anything, but is this actually enough?

My current system has 32gb ram and 9tb of hdd space :lol: so I don't really know what the basic requirements are... It does only need to be basic, lightweight and 11.6" screen is also fine, but at the same time I don't want her to power it on on Boxing Day and still be waiting for it to be ready to use by New Years Day.

These are the top three options right now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-C223NA-11-6-Celeron-4GB-32GB-Chromebook/401883396339?epid=19027546129&hash=item5d921df8f3%3Ag%3AnfoAAOSwODZfKESR&LH_ItemCondition=1000

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Chromebook-11A-G8-11-6-Light-Weight-Laptop-AMD-A4-9120C-4GB-RAM-32GB-eMMC/402524153668?epid=7041843543&hash=item5db84f2744%3Ag%3AhNgAAOSwNHxfnQJI&_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D5fb3fc55ce2d11c106286c80

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-100e-Chromebook-2nd-Gen-11-6-Light-Weight-Laptop-AMD-A4-9120C-4GB-32GB/184563883897?epid=16037694774&hash=item2af8dd5f79%3Ag%3ALcUAAOSwK9ZfyeA1&_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D5fb3fc55ce2d11c106286c80

Edited by Oh How Original

They are very basic however for simple web browsing perfect, they often sell them for sub £200 for a decent one.

Having used one for work (chrome meetings) other than for the of video call I had zero use for it as my phone did everything better but for the money it was ok. 

2 hours ago, Alex97 said:

They are very basic however for simple web browsing perfect, they often sell them for sub £200 for a decent one.

Having used one for work (chrome meetings) other than for the of video call I had zero use for it as my phone did everything better but for the money it was ok. 

But in terms of what I said about it powering on and whatnot, it's fine for basic browsing?

Like I said, she runs a couple of FB groups, she does spiritual stuff in group chats and video chats and whatnot, that's about it.

I am seeing them at 200-250 which is fine but also for similar spec over 400.

5 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

But in terms of what I said about it powering on and whatnot, it's fine for basic browsing?

Like I said, she runs a couple of FB groups, she does spiritual stuff in group chats and video chats and whatnot, that's about it.

I am seeing them at 200-250 which is fine but also for similar spec over 400.

It's fine for simple tasks yes