• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

SMT10 Grave Digger advice on required updates

Magico 69

Hi!

I am new to RC and just bought a SMT10 Grave Digger for my son! Looking for your advice on first mods to improve durability- preferably with links to parts that fit this frame. I’ve heard these need front sway bar and better servo server also reinforced suspension bars? What parts do you recommend? Is there anything else that needs attention straight out of the box? 

Kind Regards, 

Magico 

55 minutes ago, Magico 69 said:

Hi!

I am new to RC and just bought a SMT10 Grave Digger for my son! Looking for your advice on first mods to improve durability- preferably with links to parts that fit this frame. I’ve heard these need front sway bar and better servo server also reinforced suspension bars? What parts do you recommend? Is there anything else that needs attention straight out of the box? 

Kind Regards, 

Magico 

I’ve got one and don’t read too much into all this upgrades out the box rubbish. Use it break it fix it and only upgrade what you break regular or your just opening the doors to a money pit 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magico 69 said:

@mydoddy69how do you rate your SMT10 out of the box? Does it prove durable over time and provide fun as a basher? I am just an amateur and don’t expect race grade performance! 

It’s not a basher nowhere near that if you want a basher look elsewhere 

These are fun rigs but don’t expect it to do big jumps and what not it’s more a scale thing imo 

I would get the front sway bar right away, but other than that on the brushed setup it should be ok for a while. I'd see what breaks first as mydoddy said and go from there. Although there are common weak parts, they might all break in a different order or you might get luck and never break some things at all. Just make sure its all screwed together properly as RTR cars are not build very well sometimes. 

Also remember to set the end points and dual rate so the front tyres dont rub on the links when turning. 

I have a SMT10 running Clod Buster size tyres and all I did really was the front sway bar too. I used the Axial one below if that helps...

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/axial-rr10-rear-sway-bar-set-soft-/rc-car-products/397084

I use a brushed 17t motor on 3s Lipo batteries and it's extremely powerful but no major breakages yet! Great fun and good trucks if you look after them and keep them clean and lubricated up :) 

Yeah i'm almost certain that's the kit I used. Front and rear on mine are definitely the same. If I remember rightly I had to use a couple of washers or something to make it a bit smoother but my SMT10 was bought second hand and 'well loved' so it didn't necessarily have all the original hardware with it. 

You do need the little green sway bar holders on the chassis like at the rear. They are held on with two screws each side. Rears come installed but I think the extras for the front may not come fitted so might be worth checking you have those? Pic attached :) 

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 10.02.50.png