• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Multimeter recommendations...£80-100 budget?

MGone

Well my trusty 5 squid jobby from maplins finally gave up and I figure it’s time to get myself a half decent multimeter as I’m planning a few projects, maybe going to dabble with a little raspberry pi automation and audio hacks...so not really interested in the cheapo will-get-you-by-but-things-may-fry models. 

I did a quick search and there’s nothing really in the last 5 or so years, so let me know what you’re using...

I’m looking for a sub £100 (ideally) meter that’s capable of measuring LED Vf, is in the region of 4-6000 counts and has a nominal Vdc accuracy in the region 0.2%(+2-5)

Prefer it to be True RMS and have NCV as I can use if for my DIY projects too. 

Must have input protection and decent accessible fuses, temperature measurements nice but not essential...minimum CAT III 600v protection. 

So, any thoughts? 

21 hours ago, MGone said:

Well my trusty 5 squid jobby from maplins finally gave up and I figure it’s time to get myself a half decent multimeter as I’m planning a few projects, maybe going to dabble with a little raspberry pi automation and audio hacks...so not really interested in the cheapo will-get-you-by-but-things-may-fry models. 

I did a quick search and there’s nothing really in the last 5 or so years, so let me know what you’re using...

I’m looking for a sub £100 (ideally) meter that’s capable of measuring LED Vf, is in the region of 4-6000 counts and has a nominal Vdc accuracy in the region 0.2%(+2-5)

Prefer it to be True RMS and have NCV as I can use if for my DIY projects too. 

Must have input protection and decent accessible fuses, temperature measurements nice but not essential...minimum CAT III 600v protection. 

So, any thoughts? 

https://simonselectronics.co.uk/product/eevblog-brymen-bm235-true-rms/

Does this fit your spec? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jumper said:

Ooh it does...not heard of the make, but then again the only one I do know is Fluke! 🤪
Will do some more digging...thanks.

15 hours ago, .AJ. said:

I’ve got a Fluke 17b that was £90, im not sure if it will do all you want tho 

Thanks for the heads up, wasn't aware of that model...seems pretty hard to find though...they've put out a newer 17B+ model but it's almost double the price :(

will keep digging.  There also seems to be some Extech and Amprobe models worth looking into...it'll post what I find out

The flukes are really good but they tend to either do one specific thing or are mega expensive or both! I'm sure most meters around that price range are going to be miles better than your previous one. 

Its just a case of finding the correct one for what you want really. 

• Like 1