• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sway bar help/info wanted. SMT10 related

Gary Murphy

New to MT`s and not long had a SMT10.

Got a few upgrades and fitted Axial front and rear sway bars. These fitted great, with the shocks in the standard position.

I fitted rod type upper and lower trailing arms and the shocks then mounted in a more scale position BUT the sway bars did not now fit.

Bought some new sway bars from ebay which meant to fit but again did not.

I have made some swat bars myself but concerned the arms are too short.  Would like some opinions, the silver arms insome pics are the ebay jobs that are way to long.

DSCN1262.JPG

DSCN1263.JPG

DSCN1264.JPG

DSCN1265.JPG

DSCN1267.JPG

The arms look like the standard length. The turnbuckles should go from the end of the sway arm down to the shock mount. You may need to add some spacers to make it work. From experience, only use the sway bar on the rear.

The silver arms are the after market sway bar kits. These only fit with shocks mounted on the lower trailing arms, that does not look scale or pleasing to the eye.

The  black arms are items I have adapted,much shorter using the same torsion bars as the after market. The front one is slightly longer than the rear,which I think is better,the rear as less room so had to be shorter. I have yet to fit the linkage rods from the sway bars to the axle. will make them when I know the final setup.

Most of the MT`s ,axial at least seem to run front and rear bars