• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Quantum Flux MT XT & XT Plus *page 9

tomr

On 26/11/2021 at 19:40, Kyo said:

Hi,

Does anyone know the size of the centre shaft drive cup grub screw for the Flux XT?

Managed to strip one and had to butcher it to get it out, the cup is OK but not sure what size grub to buy (the parts diagram doesn't help!)

Thanks

I think it's a 3 or a 4.

• 2 months later...

Hi all. You have to excuse me it my first post. I was looking for a little help please. I have the flux version. Bashed around a bit manged to damage the sterring arm. Im trying to replace but finding it difficult to take part off. The screw seems to spin as its connected to a smooth disk at other end and i cant seems to grip it. I dont want to over do it and thought id ask here if anyone can help. I have included a picture of the part. Thx in advance guys

20220219_140850.jpg

20220219_140922.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2022 at 14:23, Muz2022 said:

Hi all. You have to excuse me it my first post. I was looking for a little help please. I have the flux version. Bashed around a bit manged to damage the sterring arm. Im trying to replace but finding it difficult to take part off. The screw seems to spin as its connected to a smooth disk at other end and i cant seems to grip it. I dont want to over do it and thought id ask here if anyone can help. I have included a picture of the part. Thx in advance guys

20220219_140850.jpg

20220219_140922.jpg

I'm not sure but I think maybe try reattaching the base and then unscrewing the top screw. This is the regular Flux isn't it and not the Flux Plus?

I managed to snap the rear wing mount and, as sure as night follows day, this is a part that isn't in stock anywhere. Luckily I've been able to order a HD one from Portugal of all places.

Other problem is that the rear axles have bent and the wheels wobble everywhere, I've managed to bend them back into shape but am resigned to buying the HD universal shaft and axle for both the rear wheels. I've also ordered some larger M5 washers as the shims behind the 14mm hex are supposedly the reason the axles bend so easily.

There isn't much support for 14mm hex wheel sets so I think I'm going to drop it down to 12mm and get some different wheel and tyre sets to try.

I've also noticed that all of my drive shaft cups are starting to get warped so they'll be another upgrade down the line.

It isn't a terrible truck but there are a few points of failure and there are just not many upgrades available. I'd have bought aluminium suspension arms if they were available but it seems nobody produces any.

Edited by BaldyMan

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325131729302?mkevt=1&mkcid=16&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I am starting to sell some parts for this RC as I have noticed some parts are hard to get hold of due to stock issues or high postage from abroad. So starting small to see what's needed the most. Can customise if needed as I'm making these parts myself from 304 STST...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaverickParts007 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325131729302?mkevt=1&mkcid=16&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I am starting to sell some parts for this RC as I have noticed some parts are hard to get hold of due to stock issues or high postage from abroad. So starting small to see what's needed the most. Can customise if needed as I'm making these parts myself from 304 STST...

There are loads of parts that break, you'll be busy. It's cost me £20+ just to get the rear wing mount from Portugal. I'm still undecided as to whether I continue to work on the truck or to just get it driving again and sell it.

On 03/04/2022 at 15:57, BaldyMan said:

I managed to snap the rear wing mount and, as sure as night follows day, this is a part that isn't in stock anywhere. Luckily I've been able to order a HD one from Portugal of all places.

Other problem is that the rear axles have bent and the wheels wobble everywhere, I've managed to bend them back into shape but am resigned to buying the HD universal shaft and axle for both the rear wheels. I've also ordered some larger M5 washers as the shims behind the 14mm hex are supposedly the reason the axles bend so easily.

There isn't much support for 14mm hex wheel sets so I think I'm going to drop it down to 12mm and get some different wheel and tyre sets to try.

I've also noticed that all of my drive shaft cups are starting to get warped so they'll be another upgrade down the line.

It isn't a terrible truck but there are a few points of failure and there are just not many upgrades available. I'd have bought aluminium suspension arms if they were available but it seems nobody produces any.

Yeah, I snapped the rear wing mount and just never bothered to replace mine yet. I have one, just laziness at this point. Mind I also snapped a tower as well, so probably will replace them both when I get some spare time.

Yeah, the washer hack is a must, even before running the first time. Your truck should have came with HD axel and shaft upgrades as I believe they started sending those out as normal. 

I think this gets a really bad rep., but for the price point it works for me. I dind't expect it to stand up to heavy hard bashing at a skate park, but mine seems to break just doing little jumps. Little lads MT version however seems spot on and hardly broken anything *knock on wood*

12 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

Yeah, I snapped the rear wing mount and just never bothered to replace mine yet. I have one, just laziness at this point. Mind I also snapped a tower as well, so probably will replace them both when I get some spare time.

Yeah, the washer hack is a must, even before running the first time. Your truck should have came with HD axel and shaft upgrades as I believe they started sending those out as normal. 

I think this gets a really bad rep., but for the price point it works for me. I dind't expect it to stand up to heavy hard bashing at a skate park, but mine seems to break just doing little jumps. Little lads MT version however seems spot on and hardly broken anything *knock on wood*

I do think they are the HD axle cups but they're still bent. I've just bashed them back into shape with a hammer for the time being, I'll probably swap them out with the HD universal drive shafts at the rear where they broke, front seems fine.

Right, I'm officially done with this truck, took it to the park and did a few mild jumps out of a dried out paddling pool and it's totally destroyed. I'll be stripping it for parts and sticking it on ebay, it handles like junk so it can't race around on pavement, it can't race around in gravel or dirt, it just gets clogged up on grass, it can be bashed as it will break into pieces at the first tumble. It says it's rated for 3S but the chassis just can't handle the power.

My daughter, on the other hand, just blipped her little Tamiya Rising Fighter round and had a blast.

On 06/04/2021 at 12:16, Seminole81 said:

Hi! Well, I've purchased one for my son recently and we loved it. Might be purchasing another here shortly as well.

I think the Quantum+ has a few smaller upgrades. Different larger wheels, slightly larger wheelbase, stronger shocks, different body, different motor, center diff., larger wheel hub hexes, etc. I believe the + is also more geared for 3S runs compared to 2S. 2S is plenty for  my son and I I think at the moment, but I think it just all depends. I think someone said their + also shipped with additional arms in the box 😅 I think they may ship with the HD parts as well like the HD driveshafts etc.

As I posted the other night, I did the few mods you've mentioned and no breaks running through 2 LiPos aside from the body posts (which are hard to find at the moment. I just bought some aluminium ones from China so will see how those are) from a front flip 😄

Mods I did:

Washer mod behind hexes

Loctite servo horn screw

Loctite grub screw for rear driveshaft

Extras I bought (haven't used yet) for other mods/future:

Suspension arms (might move to the Metsafil eventually)

HD axles

Shock Oil (first run I figured I'd judge based on that. It was a bit bumpy and I totally get where people say the oil is super thick, will be changing this probably at some point)

Future:

Aluminium body posts (just purchased)

Metsafil

Metal Spur and pinion

More LiPo batteries 😄

Hi,  what D was here did you use?  I have M5 15mm but they are bigger than the wheel bearing and I read somewhere it shouldn’t be, so seems if I have the wrong size?

thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Dazg23 said:

Hi,  what D was here did you use?  I have M5 15mm but they are bigger than the wheel bearing and I read somewhere it shouldn’t be, so seems if I have the wrong size?

thanks in advance

The washers are to stop the hex nut from bending the axle under load. Since the supplied shims are tiny then when you land a heavy jump or anything like that then the hex will bend into the space.  By installing larger washers you are filling the gap and stopping the 14mm hex from bending in and ruining the axles. So the 15mm washers are fine. They should look like the image when installed.

Screenshot_20220416-155327_eBay.jpg

Edited by BaldyMan
Added photo of washer mod

Thanks mate, so it’s more about the thickness than anything else.   I thought I heard it couldn’t be bigger than the bearing.  Tbh I don’t have much of a gap with the 2 supplied but I’m sure there’s a reason people don’t leave these too so will use 2 of the m5 x 15mm I have. 

thank you. 

p.s. 

what about my query on the centre drive shaft above would you mind helping here ?  I know your fed up of the Mavericks so thanks in advance 

You are tightening the grub screw on the flat of the shaft ?

Looking from end on the shaft should look like a D if you tighten grub up on the flat with a drop of thread lock on it it shouldnt come loose

It may be possible the thread has stripped but if you can tighten it that isnt usually the case 

Edited by Stormbringer

Thanks Storm, so it shouldn’t be loose like this?  I have put the grub screw in with lock tie, but I’m guessing its doing nothing if its not on the Centre shaft itself?  

I will take it all back out and have a look, I can’t remember a flat bit only round but will take out and have a look.

don’t suppose anyone has a picture for me to help?

21 hours ago, Dazg23 said:

Thanks mate, so it’s more about the thickness than anything else.   I thought I heard it couldn’t be bigger than the bearing.  Tbh I don’t have much of a gap with the 2 supplied but I’m sure there’s a reason people don’t leave these too so will use 2 of the m5 x 15mm I have. 

thank you. 

p.s. 

what about my query on the centre drive shaft above would you mind helping here ?  I know your fed up of the Mavericks so thanks in advance 

Sorry mate, mine is all packed up and ready for whoever wins the bidding. I haven't had a look at the drive shafts on mine

Thanks Storm, so it shouldn’t be loose like this?  I have put the grub screw in with lock tie, but I’m guessing its doing nothing if its not on the Centre shaft itself?  

I will take it all back out and have a look, I can’t remember a flat bit only round but will take out and have a look.

don’t suppose anyone has a picture for me to help?

arr no problem,  will take a look at what storm said, but I didn’t think the grub screw gripped the shaft as there’s a red o ring between them.  Hopefully someone else can help.

good luck with the sale.

36 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

If grub isnt gripping shaft then theres something stopping the shaft going in so grub can grip it

Thanks Storm, so to be clear for my simple mind, the grub screw when tight should stop any movement in the shaft like above?  It must have not been correct to start with then, as when I had taken the front skid plate off the shaft came out without me moving the grub.

And one of the ends of the shaft (balls) should be flat?

On 16/04/2022 at 14:29, Dazg23 said:

thanks in advance

I have no idea, I just took a few M5s from my work. The idea is just to fill the gap a bit better as someone else said.

Not sure on the grub screw bit as I don't see where you've asked the question. Seems to be a few posts flying about on it though?

Appreciate the reply.  
my question is should the centre drive shaft move as much as it does in my video above? 

storm had suggested the grub screw should hold it in place ,  but as per my picture to me it seems the grub screw isn’t lined up to hold it (as per my picture) 

I have a lot of play with my centre shaft moving and wasn’t sure if this was right or not. 

thanks on the washer info.  

The dogbone should be loose the grub screw secures the drive cup to the output of the dif/gearbox

There should be a corresponding O ring at the other end of the dogbone they are there to limit movement on the dogbone