• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX DR8 Desert BuggyThread

9 minutes ago, Admo said:

Hi all, is there a chassis brace that will fit my DR8 i.e. the one that goes from front to back. Bent my rear shock tower on its first outing 😢

Not unless you make one but they do sell upgraded CNC shock towers in red or blue https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-dr8-rear-aluminium-5mm-cnc-shock-tower-blue-1336269

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 21/09/2021 at 21:30, sha1024z said:

Hi,

I ordered the new:-

FTX Dr8 Front Aluminium CNC Chassis Brace 

FTX Dr8 Rear Aluminium CNC Chassis Brace 

The original screws do not seem to fit correctly to the brace underneath the chassis.  They seem too long, is anyone else having this issue?

I'm having a similar issue, I got the exact same braces (also in red) but neither of the new braces actually fit the car - none of the screws line up!

Did you have any difficulty fitting the braces?

On 04/11/2021 at 21:01, Jamjar502 said:

I'm having a similar issue, I got the exact same braces (also in red) but neither of the new braces actually fit the car - none of the screws line up!

Did you have any difficulty fitting the braces?

I haven't fitted mine yet as it's away until Christmas.How far out are the holes?

3 hours ago, martin34 said:

I haven't fitted mine yet as it's away until Christmas.How far out are the holes?

Rather annoyingly they're not that far out,  which made me think it's a production defect.

When I spoke to the manufacturer they said "I'm sure you could get them to fit if you tried", which isn't remotely helpful. 

The below images are in comparison to the original plastic braces. 

PXL_20211008_163925347.jpg

PXL_20211008_163241241.jpg

PXL_20211008_164232779.jpg

Edited by Jamjar502
  • Sad 1

On 06/11/2021 at 10:21, Jamjar502 said:

When I spoke to the manufacturer they said "I'm sure you could get them to fit if you tried"

WTF lol.

Ask them if they desinged any of the parts for the Challenger space shuttle.

• Like 3

On 06/11/2021 at 10:21, Jamjar502 said:

Rather annoyingly they're not that far out,  which made me think it's a production defect.

When I spoke to the manufacturer they said "I'm sure you could get them to fit if you tried", which isn't remotely helpful. 

Yeah and if they'd "tried" they might've managed to make an upgrade part that wasn't worse then useless 😆

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

My new DR8 just arrived in the post, happy days 🙂

I have plugged it all in and steering and drive works great, however the ESC fan isnt on.

Is this normal?

Does it only turn on when needed?

All previous cars I owned the ESC fan is on all the time.

Sorry ignore my post, just spoke with their tech support and its a dead fan.

I got straight through on the phone to the CML tech support, quick convo, emailed them the invoice - 20mins later they email to say a new fan is in the post.

Can't get better service than that!

Edit: New fan arrived already, 20hrs after calling their tech support. Amazing.  Man this car is fast....

Edited by Kyo
  • Like 2

On 21/03/2021 at 10:00, thewootts said:

That looks like an aluminium chassis brace, what vehicle is that from?

Love the paint job!!

It seems the Mojave wheels are a popular upgrade. I did it with mine also. marked improvement over the stock wheels.

Do you have a link to the Mojave wheels please and help me to understand what they bring that the current wheels do not? Beginner here but trying to learn quickly. Son has the dr8 and is always looking for upgrades, wheels is his current ask 😃

1 hour ago, Sol Broadbent said:

Can someone please tell me, can the Dr8 be run on 3s? Let's say 5000mah, how much run time do you get? I'm looking at purchasing the Dr8 for robustness and eventually going to 6s, but as. I will be new to it all so want something I can grow into. 

It'll take a 2 x 2S Combo or 3 x 3S to make the 6S max capacity.

Here's a nice little article from RCGeeks; worth a read:

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blogs/news/ftx-dr8-desert-racer-review-60mph

Hello all

I'm having a steering issue with my DR8, the last owner swapped in a Feetech 35kgs servo, which always seemed to turn one way better than the other and upon some investigating I noticed the arm from the horn to the steering linkage hits the metal brace befoe it's fully open, hence the restriction.  Looks like I need to lower the whole arm under the brace but I also wondered if the arm was put back on straight?

Before I start pulling that apart, is there anything i can check to see where the problem actually is?

and my front LED isn't working, is that a common fault?

It's now running a 15t pinion, it's ripping up fields, tires are like discs at full chat,  can't wait for the grass to be cut and dry, the roads are destroying the tires 😞

That does look he same, does yous hit before it fully opens the steering?

Have you noticed a lack steering in one direction? 

and it looks like the arm on mine has been lengthened, so maybe that's the issue.

I don't have any end pint adjustments unless I start using my flysky gt3b, that mauybe worth a look too.

I've also go the a 16 + 17t pinions to try 🙂

It only just touches at the end of travel and I haven't noticed any lack of steering at all. A lengthened arm would definitely cause issues with the standard servo.

Took it for a blast at the park today, bit wet so proper roosters from the wheels. So much fun...the cleaning after not so much!

How's the heat with the 15T? Everything still cool?

I did keep checking it and it got warm after 10mins and was ok to touch when the batteries ran out.

I think it will handle the 17t 🙂 I'll find out in a couple of days!

Need belted tires as the stock ones turn into discs at full chat, I think I need to tighten the diffs as I get a lot more balloning at the front.

On the road is silly. no grip at all.

Finally got mine out of the box after buying it around 2 months ago.First impressions are its good quality for the money and we'll built.I have a few hop ups to fit and going to do the diff oils 60k,500k,30k and then take it for a run🙂

20211225_164913.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, martin34 said:

Finally got mine out of the box after buying it around 2 months ago.First impressions are its good quality for the money and we'll built.I have a few hop ups to fit and going to do the diff oils 60k,500k,30k and then take it for a run🙂

20211225_164913.jpg

Congrats mate 👍

• Like 1