• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Savage flux XS owners thread

Lone-wolf

There is one of these local to me and description is pretty much mint condition with some better wheels and a few bit £309 new price, very fast truck with 4wd, is it worth thinking about and how much would be right for it used but good condition also has a 2s 4000mah lipo

Edited by Jack Reacher

The xs is a real nice truck way over powerd standard it just eats itself inside out. Two choices dial down the power to scale or get the heavy duty drive cups etc which isnt cheap. Slap some traxxas links on it ditch the plastic ones. I think that special edition body looks incredible one of the nicest RTR bodies I've seen. Love the green accents. It comes with the hpi dirt bonz tires im sure and they were some of the most recommended tires for the model. 

If they made it a kit version XS SS but with that painted body and the alloy shocks in green ide be very tempted. No mini scale rc went that well on grass it drove like a bigger scale not much slowed it down due its power and weight. But ultimately there's better bashers in the price range. Imo. But the xs was my fav mini of all. 

Its not nice to work on either getting to the steering or motor is horrible. But hella worth it as a side rc it wouldn't be my main. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just got one of these, thanks for the insight on the drivecups will keep that in mind.
First run was impressed with how it handels, not impressed by the clogging on a light hill launch on 3s.
And motor got pretty hot for a short run. Needs gearing down, cant imagine how the poor motor would do offroad with the high speed gears. 65+ they say.
A sensored system seems to me the way to go, i like the wheel hexes fit my axial wraith 2.2 wheels so can go mad with buying tires that dont fit haha 😄
It was also much smaller than i expected, the outlaw and gatekeeper dwarf it, expected it to be about the same size as an outlaw.
image.thumb.png.5ddb0cc2a73a1c1107103f3483a3d705.png

Seemed to be built like a tank, feels built like a tank. Hope this makes the outlaw get jumped / broken less 😄
Will be back with more thoughts on the XS once its been through some packs and jumped a little.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2021 at 19:45, froggy8 said:

i had the old one, i thought they were brill! 

Did it have a 4000kv brushless motor, the lad took this out today for a first real run. 2s 3200 lipo lasted about 10 min, then moved to a 7000mha that lasted 20-30 min. So 2 packs through the truck, running on long grass, hard sand and roads.
The motor got to hot to touch, Im very particular about my motors and if they get to hot to touch im not happy.  This is supposed to run 3s for 65mph... thats with the high speed gearing the motor is cooking on 2s stock gearing, 3s high speed with no cooling would melt something, has any one had failures with these if so was it the drive cups before the motor died?
The truck handels very nicely, it decently quick on 2s, if we had be running on 3s, i think we would have already cooked the motor. No room for a fan.
Motor can size is limited unless you want to take a big chunck out the chassis, personally i think a lower kv motor on the same gearing. Would be spot on, the high kv motor doesnt have the guts to make it wheely, although for 1/14th it not a light rig.

42 minutes ago, Redback said:

Did it have a 4000kv brushless motor, the lad took this out today for a first real run. 2s 3200 lipo lasted about 10 min, then moved to a 7000mha that lasted 20-30 min. So 2 packs through the truck, running on long grass, hard sand and roads.
The motor got to hot to touch, Im very particular about my motors and if they get to hot to touch im not happy.  This is supposed to run 3s for 65mph... thats with the high speed gearing the motor is cooking on 2s stock gearing, 3s high speed with no cooling would melt something, has any one had failures with these if so was it the drive cups before the motor died?
The truck handels very nicely, it decently quick on 2s, if we had be running on 3s, i think we would have already cooked the motor. No room for a fan.
Motor can size is limited unless you want to take a big chunck out the chassis, personally i think a lower kv motor on the same gearing. Would be spot on, the high kv motor doesnt have the guts to make it wheely, although for 1/14th it not a light rig.

yes if i remembered rightly, it was 4000kv  ( il try find some pics or info, cant remember, been that long) with the flux esc but i have always used 2s lipo for mine and the temp have always been fine with me.

• Lone-wolf changed the title to HPI Savage flux XS owners thread
  • 4 weeks later...