• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dartmoor redesigns a class 1 (possibly)

Looking bright!!

When I read the title "possibly" I wondered if that would be a definite maybe!?? [emoji1787]
Seems to be going that way mate!
Got a friend printing me off a CMS mount with a winch slot so it's all in I think now!

Need to lengthen the rear links by about 10mm which will help no end with approach angles and will still keep within 1/2" rules.

Painted some plastic bumpers up silver which I don't really like but at least they cover the width of the body now.
Really like the look of the CChand Shirya but at over £100 for front and back I may put up with plastic!

Now need to decide on an interior as well [emoji848]9411ba85b4b6a2ecba06a3bc0f837108.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Its so Blingy man!! hehe...

Assume the boy will be driving that at the meet?...
Yep, I'll drive the landy. Then I think we'll swap to the Capra for me and his Wraith.
If the remaining parts for my ar 60s turn up then I'll take the sporty up as well.
May as well take the fleet up!

There's something distinctly 'off' with a scaler wearing a lexan body, just doesn't seem quite right!

Considering another Mojave body now [emoji1787]

Showed my boy the vid and he was a bit more interested but still no commitment....

If I'm completely honest with you..... That body does look wrong on that chassis to me, but that said I have seen some lexan work.... 

14 hours ago, stimpy said:

Showed my boy the vid and he was a bit more interested but still no commitment....

If I'm completely honest with you..... That body does look wrong on that chassis to me, but that said I have seen some lexan work.... 

Plans are afoot to change it, but probably the whole truck!

Trying to figure what chassis I want as there's a few features I want and some not required from the current selection 'off the shelf'!

Defo want a forward motor and transmission so I can get a proper interior.

Want a DIG.

Don't want 2 speed.

Not fussed with portals.

313mm wb.

1.9 wheels need to look good, not 1.55 size.

Having a serious look at the Trail King but not found anyone thats done a DIG.

SCX10.3 has too much going on and I'd probably swap tons out making it uneconomical.

RC4WD TF, long wb was a consideration but not keen on leaf sprung and there's questions around fitting in decent tyres.

Am I missing any?

What do you and Carl have planned?

Hey up...

So it really depends upon use as to how you would ultimately go about it.

The only current off the shelf dig transmissions readily available are the axial ones found in our Capras or the SCX10 3. Or, for better reliability and weight saving use an AX/SCX 3 gear tranny with a VP Hurtz dig. 

As to mine and Carls ventures, we have much planned including; an LCG Angled skid carbon & G10 option chassis - that is going to actually work with all its parts! - designed around the scx10 2 and the element Enduro and will no doubt fit others - blank skids will be available. Then a Portal option LCG Angled skid chassis - this needs more testing yet to confirm if we actually need another chassis or different parts. Then I want to make an option for the Capra axles, undecided if this will be a rail chassis or sporty chassis or maybe do both once the designs are down. Lastly, id also like to make a more modern Ali chassis for leafers 👍.

I will then be working on OD transmissions, have all the options worked out just need to do the modelling. Another thing I am considering is reworking the Capra /scx 3 transmission with dig but in a narrower more ratio friendly options. Then theres another load of ideas yet to be explored!!..

For now, our first prototypes will be cut this weekend around the G10 LCG1 chassis (yet to be named!). From the sounds of it this would be the chassis you'd be looking for. Then for regular axles and Dig I would recommend the AX/SCX 3 gear and VP dig option then OD front axle and UD rear (When these are released by VP).

Currently on straight axles, getting more than around 22% OD and DIG is going to be tricky and certainly an option that is at the end of my design list currently. 

However... There is one more option... And the one that I personally think will be the winner - Straight front axle, rear portal!.. This takes a bit of messing with regards ratios and driveline rotation but all possible. In this direction with the ax / vp dig option on our chassis you could have OD options varying from 62% to 20% and down to 10% when VP releases their under drive.... 

Hope that helps for now - plenty of options 👍

4 hours ago, stimpy said:

Hey up...

So it really depends upon use as to how you would ultimately go about it.

The only current off the shelf dig transmissions readily available are the axial ones found in our Capras or the SCX10 3. Or, for better reliability and weight saving use an AX/SCX 3 gear tranny with a VP Hurtz dig. 

As to mine and Carls ventures, we have much planned including; an LCG Angled skid carbon & G10 option chassis - that is going to actually work with all its parts! - designed around the scx10 2 and the element Enduro and will no doubt fit others - blank skids will be available. Then a Portal option LCG Angled skid chassis - this needs more testing yet to confirm if we actually need another chassis or different parts. Then I want to make an option for the Capra axles, undecided if this will be a rail chassis or sporty chassis or maybe do both once the designs are down. Lastly, id also like to make a more modern Ali chassis for leafers 👍.

I will then be working on OD transmissions, have all the options worked out just need to do the modelling. Another thing I am considering is reworking the Capra /scx 3 transmission with dig but in a narrower more ratio friendly options. Then theres another load of ideas yet to be explored!!..

For now, our first prototypes will be cut this weekend around the G10 LCG1 chassis (yet to be named!). From the sounds of it this would be the chassis you'd be looking for. Then for regular axles and Dig I would recommend the AX/SCX 3 gear and VP dig option then OD front axle and UD rear (When these are released by VP).

Currently on straight axles, getting more than around 22% OD and DIG is going to be tricky and certainly an option that is at the end of my design list currently. 

However... There is one more option... And the one that I personally think will be the winner - Straight front axle, rear portal!.. This takes a bit of messing with regards ratios and driveline rotation but all possible. In this direction with the ax / vp dig option on our chassis you could have OD options varying from 62% to 20% and down to 10% when VP releases their under drive.... 

Hope that helps for now - plenty of options 👍

Cheers mate. Useful to know.

I guess you read Topher's Sherpa build over at RCC with the striaght front and rear portal? Climbs like a beast that thing, very cool indeed.

Just had a successful meeting with Carl.. A bit more CAD work and we'll be moving.

Yes I've seen Topher's Sherpa build - he has built quite a few interesting rigs though he does tend to go for bolt together. I've been thinking about this option for some time, and more seriously since we've been getting options for Portals from larger manufacturers. My buddy Al has been putting one together for a while - he based his original idea on the Ssd axles as they offer the portal drop box, however he has found the join between the portal and axle tube on these to be a weak point so is now moving onto AR44 & AR45 rear. 

I will certainly be building this configuration onto one of our chassis's soon 👍.

• Like 1

Just had a successful meeting with Carl.. A bit more CAD work and we'll be moving.

Yes I've seen Topher's Sherpa build - he has built quite a few interesting rigs though he does tend to go for bolt together. I've been thinking about this option for some time, and more seriously since we've been getting options for Portals from larger manufacturers. My buddy Al has been putting one together for a while - he based his original idea on the Ssd axles as they offer the portal drop box, however he has found the join between the portal and axle tube on these to be a weak point so is now moving onto AR44 & AR45 rear. 

I will certainly be building this configuration onto one of our chassis's soon [emoji106].
Looking forward to seeing what you've got[emoji106]

• Thanks 2