• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HI

SWIV

Hi - I'm Irish and my dad gave an F1 RC car to my son - see pics - There isn't any remote and all I know about it is that it is from 2006. .  One of the photos was taken before I cleaned the internals of the car - had to post it as it's the only photo I have of the top of the board.

I am a total noob and really want to help my young son to get this working.  Does anyone have any advice on what I could buy in order to get it working again?

Thanks in advance.

Car external .jpg

Car internal clean.jpg

car internals 1.png

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Hi and welcome to the forum 🍻

Is there any brand name on the car ?

Hi - thanks for your reply - no there isn't any brand name - I found this darkly lit pic of the same car boxed on google images if that helps.  The battery cover is missing so maybe it was on that.

F1 dad got on adverts pic.jpg

Edited by SWIV

Get me a good well lit photo of the box from every side so I can read all the text.

If it can't be identified and the remote cannot be picked up from ebay,  You Could get it running with some tinkering and DIY,  I can help you there if you have the will for it.

Just be prepare to get handy with a spanner....  

2 hours ago, GorillaZilla said:

Get me a good well lit photo of the box from every side so I can read all the text.

If it can't be identified and the remote cannot be picked up from ebay,  You Could get it running with some tinkering and DIY,  I can help you there if you have the will for it.

Thanks - that's the only pic I could find - I would really appreciate your advice on what to do with it - thanks!

I had a quick look,  and couldn't find anything concrete.     How many batteries does it take?  If the voltage is right you could get hold of a cheap 2 channel transmitter,  and a couple cheap Speed controls and hook them up the the Positive and Negative wires on the motors for forward/backward and the one that does the steering, 

Get me some good photos of the steering area,  looks like it's one of those bang bag full left or right no fine control.  No positional servo.  Just a simple motor pushing the steering left or right.

18 minutes ago, GorillaZilla said:

I had a quick look,  and couldn't find anything concrete.     How many batteries does it take?  If the voltage is right you could get hold of a cheap 2 channel transmitter,  and a couple cheap Speed controls and hook them up the the Positive and Negative wires on the motors for forward/backward and the one that does the steering, 

Get me some good photos of the steering area,  looks like it's one of those bang bag full left or right no fine control.  No positional servo.  Just a simple motor pushing the steering left or right.

Okay - I'll open it back up tomorrow and send you some pics.  It takes a 10AA 12V battery pack that has a tamiya connector on the end.  Thanks so much for your help.

Not mine, just a result of the right google words 🙂 I suspect this was toward the toy end of the market as your first picture shows everything (speed control, receiver etc. ) on one board. Hobby grade cars have them separate so that you can upgrade or replace them.

IMO if this has sentimental value it could be possible to replace the electronics but if you simply want to build a car with your son something well supported like a Tamiya TT02 might be easier.

+1 for a picture of the steering setup.

I actually ordered a WLT 12428 from as a basher for us as both of us are novices but having watched a few vids on converting a toy grade rc to hobyist grade I'd like to rip out all the electrics of the Formula 1 car and work with him on adding a new engine, servo, ESC - just as an interesting project for both of us - so I will try and take a pic of the motor and steering setup this week and post it here.  Thanks.

Having read and watched vids on converting toy cars - I think I’d be better off buying a kit car and building it with my son - I’m interested in learning how to

put a car together and think if we get a kit car then it will likely last longer than an ungraded toy car.  Could anyone recommend a good build for a total

noob?  I know most kits are barebones somI’d appreciate it if you could recommend any extra items that are required so I can order everything together.  Thanks so much for all your help - I think this is the start of a really cool journey with my son.

On 28/07/2020 at 21:31, ukbajadave said:

Not mine, just a result of the right google words 🙂 I suspect this was toward the toy end of the market as your first picture shows everything (speed control, receiver etc. ) on one board. Hobby grade cars have them separate so that you can upgrade or replace them.

IMO if this has sentimental value it could be possible to replace the electronics but if you simply want to build a car with your son something well supported like a Tamiya TT02 might be easier.

Tearing it down today so I'll post a pic later - my son likes the look of it couple that with the fact my dad gave it to him and I'm beginning to think I'll do what I can to get it working .

Hi guys - here are the internals of the toy F1 car - it’s 1/6 scale - forgive the grime - god only knows where it was stored but rest assured I have washed everything and am now just waiting for it all to dry.

My son will not let this go and really wants to see it working - from my part I’d like to learn about putting a RC together.

He just wants to see it working so I’m just after a cheap brushed engine,  ESC, Servo, controller and receiver (might as well get a good one for future projects) and a battery and power supply.

56E36199-EC17-49C8-829A-018512180B07.jpeg

D2968C12-EED3-4C3A-8682-1EAD87F67B38.jpeg

421A6835-C212-49A9-AEC5-9DE7FC1F84B5.jpeg

FEA17779-A04B-4B8E-BD83-25A178DCA1FF.jpeg

31A15B6F-347A-4FFA-A7B9-4AD2D6B1C320.jpeg

On 26/07/2020 at 19:18, GorillaZilla said:

Hi - I stripped it all down and added pics added below - any advice on ESC, Servo, Motor, Controller, batteries and charger - greatly appreciated - Thanks

Hi - added pics of Servo - is it easy to find a F1 TT02 or if F1 isn’t possible then what would you suggest - can run it on tarmac or brass or both / thanks

On 28/07/2020 at 01:38, GorillaZilla said:

No worries.   What's your budget for getting this running?     Might be better saving it towards a new hobby grade car.    Unless there's sentimental value in this one?

I plan on doing both hopefully - cheapest way I can find to get this running and I'd also like to get a hobby grade car.  Which hobby grade car would your recommend for a beginner? Thanks.

Hi - added pics of Servo - is it easy to find a F1 TT02 or if F1 isn’t possible then what would you suggest - can run it on tarmac or brass or both / thanks

All washed and polished now - I actually have 2 of these so I’ll prob use the the second one for parts

521E5FD3-5D9B-4541-945D-51230C64E6A7.jpeg

23431271-1C6F-4FE6-80A8-77D43083191A.jpeg

68E887B4-29B8-4BCE-BB31-70E597E4EE78.jpeg

1 hour ago, GorillaZilla said:

I've got some old 27mhz Kyosho Radio Gear you can have for the cost of postage,   and some old servos knocking about somewhere too.    would be a start.  👍

Wow thanks - can you pm me and I’ll arrange payment

I'll get em boxed up for you and let you know how much postage is when I get around to going out into Scamdemic land,  need to pickup an appropriate Muzzle So I don't get Merked by "Communist Lives Matter"  While I'm out there....

ur,mask_three_quarter,square,1000x1000.j

Then you will just need a Brushed ESC and a battery + charger.     I'll have a dig to see if I have any tucked away somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1