• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What do you think I should do?

Squiddy-UK

Hi,

So I'm new to RC and I bought a brushed Arrma granite. I bought it brand new and I also bought some 2s 5200mah 50c batteries.

So the motor failed within a week! But it was draining the lipos really fast I was getting the same run time as the 2400mah NiMH batteries that came with the car, it was just faster.

Anyway I contacted the company I bought it from and because I said I run it full blast most of the time they said it is basicly my fault and that lipos run hotter and probably burnt out the motor.

They said they will send me a new brushed motor as a good will but I can't return the car for a refund.

I think I now want to go brushless as I want longer run times and for it to be abit faster. Do you think a cheap crazehorse ECS and motor will be alright or should I cut my losses and re sell once I get the new motor and just buy the brushless version?

I have bought the motor and ESC on Amazon already but I'm debating cancelling the order if I am just going to get more headaches.

Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Motors don't burn out because of the battery unless its was more voltage than it can handle, but being a 2s pack 7.4v is well within the specs of the motor.

Heat is a motor killer though, gearing on the motor can generate a lot of heat if youre either overgeared or under geared. 

Imagine driving a car on a motorway for miles on end in 1st gear= Undergeared.

Imagine driving a car on town for miles on end in 6th gear = Overgeared.

Where were you driving and how? The style, the type of driving ? Flat out in a park requires very different gearing to  in a garden.

I've first hand experience of motors burning out from switching to lipo. Gearing was stock, but the extra current available was too much for the motors. Of course that current was forced through the motors, but the nimh cells before the lipos were just not in the same league. 

I wouldn't sell the car just because of a dead motor. Sell the freebie and the brushed ESC, that'll off-set what you've spent on the BL combo. 

I've burnt out brushed motors on their first run, it's luck of the draw.

Im running 3 craze horse esc combos on 3 of my touring cars, one is for speed and two are drifters, for this in purpose the esc is excellent, not sure if i would chance it on the granite though.

I bought a surpass 120a brushless motor eBay for about £25, i also have a couple of 120a esc's, a hobbywing quicrun 120 and a hobbyking xcar 120a, both were about £30 but not sure if they are strong enough for the granite.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk