• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo thread question - and general Lipo panicing

Russ528

Must admit, having spoken to a few model shops and generally caught up a bit with how and why lipo fires start, I feel a bit happier about the situation.

I took the car out for it's first proper run in some open space on Wednesday evening, and it's such a hoot - smashed it around for a good 40 mins or so, most of which was flat out speed runs and high speed cornering) before the pinion gear decided to come loose (and I didn't take that size allen key with me!) - but no major dramas.

Anyway, checked the battery during use and it was fine - didn't get hot or anything (slightly warmer than when I connected it initially, but that's to be expected). Checked it when I took it out at the end of the run, and it was fine. Still not hot, no signs of puffing or anything.  I checked it when I got home and it was at 3.81v,

So, still a tad concerned about storing the batteries in the summerhouse (which I'd really rather not burn to the ground), I was investigating what I could keep the lipo bagged batteries in.

Found this for what seemed a reasonable price 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-5ltr-fire-chest-352-x-284-x-156mm/1567j

Granted it is supposed to protect the contents inside from fire and heat, but the construction is simply a highly fire and temperature resistant compound encased in a plastic shell (plastic inside and out)- so i kind figured that if the hot stuff was ever to be on the inside, it'd do just as good a job of keeping the outside safe! 

It's pretty heavy and will also protect the batteries from getting accidentally knocked/bashed.

It does say not to store ammunition, handguns, explosive or combustible materials in it - presumably because storage of such things would need various different certifications which this does not have, as it's only meant to be a fire chest.   I was going to look at drilling some vent holes in it as I'd envisaged it being a well sealed thing, however having had a look at it, there's no rubber seal and it's not airtight as such, so if it's left unlocked, should the pressure generated be that great in the event of a lipo fire, the lid will just lift  (and probably in a controlled fashion, as the lid itself is pretty weighty too). and pressure will be released. 

I know, I was thinking the same. 

Yet everyone who says "don't worry about it" then explains how they keep them buried in a pile of breeze blocks, or always stores them outside in a bbq or something, so I didn't know what to think or believe...... which is probably what everyone does after they Google "lipo storage" which then brings up countless videos and websites explaining how these are in fact the most lethal consumer product in the world.....and then just end up doing the same "lipo bunker" route everyone else appears to do., just becuase it seems like the done thing. 

Edited by Russ528

Batsafe storage seem to be the safest option for those who are really concerned and want something that you don’t need to faff about. They are on the expensive side though. I got mine from Germany.

On 14/07/2020 at 09:41, Jumper said:

Its pretty simple, charge it before you go out. Dont leave it plugged in after a run. When you get home storage charge it.

You dont need a bag, most of them are fairly rubbish and last about 2 seconds if it actually catches fire. Just get a decent metal container that is sealed and dont put it next to a can of petrol XD 

Pretty much it. I'd only add to that charge/storage charge them outside or on a concrete garage floor but other than that it's quite simple really. Putting faith in those bags when they've proven to be next to useless at doing anything than buying a few seconds is probably what has caused some of the damage you see on the internet. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Tadas said:

Hello,

I bought Batsafe, but my traxxas battery wires are too short to charge them in there - any solutions on extending battery wires?

download.jpg

422997G_1.jpg

Tricky one, but maybe you can purchase the parts to make extensions?

Or contact Modelsport, they offer soldering services.