• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTx cvd keep bending!!

D.griff

Hi, 

I’m new to the site and the rc hobby. I got my son a ftx outlaw brushed which he loves. Only had a few issues so far chassis plate rear arm holder front cvd and front suspension arm holders. As the brushed motor has dies I’ve upgraded to a Absima brushless motor and esc system with a 2s lipo and locked front and rear diffs with diff blocks. First run out snapped right rear arm and left arm holder, changed them and next day just driving round a rugby field both front cvd’s are bent like bananas. Really confused 🤷‍♂️ any ideas what can cause this?

If you are hurtling around your rugby field at full speed, turning your buggy around the place, you are putting huge forces through the driveshafts - having working diffs allows for some of those forces to "diff out" and allows the car to rotate better.

Unlock your diffs, fill them with grease (or tune them with oil if the diffs are sealed) and that should help the CVD issue.

I locked the diffs because when we take it on rocky or steep ground it wasn’t very good on the brushed system. When I locked them it climbs so much better, like I said I’m new to all this so any advise is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, D.griff said:

I locked the diffs because when we take it on rocky or steep ground it wasn’t very good on the brushed system. When I locked them it climbs so much better, like I said I’m new to all this so any advise is appreciated. Thanks

No worries, every single one of us was new to the hobby at one point!

If you want to keep the rear locked to help drive up the rocks then fine, but I would recommend unlocking the front.

You can still pack the front with grease to give you better drive, but at least it'll allow you to diff out when it needs to

• Like 1

I'm a so called veteran member and I still make silly mistakes lol all the time. 

I would also pop a shock screw out and test the range of the arm/cvd just to make sure it has smooth operation up and down nothing knocking just to rule it out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D.griff said:

The brushed system should be better than the brushless system if climbing over steep rocky ground. The brushed motor doesn’t cog and handles slower speeds better. 

I’ve noticed the slow speed control isn’t as good with the brushless setup but my son likes how fast it is. I just need to set it up so it’s a reliable all rounder if that means unlocking one or both diffs so be it

I think that’s going to be an issue. It’s not really going to be able to do everything. It’s a fast brushless or a steady crawler not both, it’s a bit like trying to put a square peg in a round hole and bashing it with a hammer to make it fit. It might go through but damage will occur.

I'm a so called veteran member and I still make silly mistakes lol all the time. 

I would also pop a shock screw out and test the range of the arm/cvd just to make sure it has smooth operation up and down nothing knocking just to rule it out. 

Think I may have found the problem, when I’ve locked the front diff you have to strip everything out to fit the lock block even the c-clip that retains the cvd cups. I noticed they were popping out and were at a bit of an angle so I’ve glued them into to locking block for now. I’ll order a set so I can but it back to open diff if need be. I going to give it a run today see if the cvd’s bend now the cups are secured.

I think that’s going to be an issue. It’s not really going to be able to do everything. It’s a fast brushless or a steady crawler not both, it’s a bit like trying to put a square peg in a round hole and bashing it with a hammer to make it fit. It might go through but damage will occur.

I get what your saying, my sons only 10 and not really into the really rocky tech stuff where I can see the brushless lack of slow speed control would be an issue. Some of the places we go the ground is a bit loose and steep so the locked diffs helped it get up and the faster motor does a good job for what he likes. I found an issue with the front diff cups so I’m going to run it today and if the cvd’s don’t bend I’ll be happy if they do then I’ll unlock the diff and go from there. He enjoys it and I get to fix it it the shed. Thanks for your input, everything helps [emoji106]