• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dartmoor builds a Capra

DartmoorTrails

1 hour ago, Andy-Roo said:

Performance is rarely cheap, so it proves you get what you pay for.  It’d be interesting to see how the Hyrax predator do. 

These have a great tread. I am very keen to try them 👍... 

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Jconcept Ruptures made 65 degrees. Looks ludicrously steep from where I'm sat!!!
I've some hyrax on my son's wraith but that needs repairing so might have to wait!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

C-rikey!!!! That’s flipping impressive that!! They do look rather useful - and of course have a magic compound 👍

Fixed the Wraith, but she's so damn tall and really not dialled in I could only manage 55 before she flipped [emoji20]
These are the original from about 2 or 3 years ago so probably not with the new compound.
I have to say they were pretty poor when I had them on my scx10 back in the day. My son had ripsaws in his wraith at the time and they consistently performed better!

I read OHOs post from a while ago about the klr's going cheap because of a dispute between ottsix and the manufacturer so I've taken a punt on 4 for the princely sum of £15 delivered! If they're legit I'll be over the moon and will probably invest in another set of SSD wheels, possibly the rugged set... So much choice [emoji16]

Have put the boom's back on so I can give them a fair crack of the whip with getting them properly scrubbed as I really like the style and feel of them so it's fair I give them a proper chance[emoji106]

Tyres can be great at one thing like a ramp but complete poop elsewhere.... 

That KLR myth..... My mate bought some..... And I have to say they felt ab-so-lutely nothing like mine.... 

But for £15 always worth a punt...  And if you’re driving lots on high grip rock, then the compound will matter less tbh... 

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

Great Pics!

Need a holiday down there and quick!!!

Haha. Thanks! So many good crawl locations, it's a fairly regular Sunday thing 😃 Almost makes up for G6 being scrubbed off this year.

Apologies, I've completely hijacked the thread now!

• Like 3

They do when your not looking! [emoji39][emoji1787]

Another local Capra! That makes 4 of us now! [emoji16] 

Check out the FB group 'Dark Side Crawlers'. It was started by a bunch of us in Devon and normally meet ups get planned there. 

I'll drop some pics from meets around the area. Hound Tor, Haytor + quarry/valley, Sheepstor..
087D518D-EB60-4065-91CC-82F8DA7E05E2.thumb.jpeg.5ccd06a0d7481904d2ec3503c91ee1c0.jpeg
45F2472B-F7C4-4A83-944B-D5BB81351E2E.thumb.jpeg.33cd7b24ec2d2b3ed94c3f55b7ef9b83.jpeg
F57E8FF7-3E20-4622-A2CA-B472969E1AB6.thumb.jpeg.758d17775f764d638fba84c9f1fac5f0.jpeg
88D4EF23-C187-4C8E-8F9F-D56D02A796C7.jpeg.f4464ae668d5ecf30ebd7dedbf9406a0.jpeg
17E9A8EE-F172-4F34-8DDE-0E44AA45DD27.jpeg.8600e93df0c53fe951cc5fef81ea6d8f.jpeg
Well now!
Thanks for posting and I shall be definitely taking a look, some nice looking rigs there[emoji106]

Should get my Vitavon portal weights today, going quite cheap / competitive on the bay from Newport.

And because I can't resist ive asked Martin for some SSD Prospects in bronze, http://www.ssd-rc.com/1.9-prospect-wheels-(bronze).html [emoji7]

• Like 2

Took her out Sunday wth some new friends and was really missing knuckle weights but fortunately they arrived yesterday so I can sort that out immediately.

Belly dragged a bit so i've ordered taller Hyrax in Predator but may think about a skid swap out!

The Hyrax looked better than my Rock Beasts and went places I couldn't so all good there.

My constant DIG battle continued, this time the mounts on the servo snapped so I had that pinging around and had random lock outs / free wheels throughout the climb:(

Have decided to make a full size servo mount; can't be that difficult!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Took her out Sunday wth some new friends and was really missing knuckle weights but fortunately they arrived yesterday so I can sort that out immediately.

Belly dragged a bit so i've ordered taller Hyrax in Predator but may think about a skid swap out!

The Hyrax looked better than my Rock Beasts and went places I couldn't so all good there.

My constant DIG battle continued, this time the mounts on the servo snapped so I had that pinging around and had random lock outs / free wheels throughout the climb:(

Have decided to make a full size servo mount; can't be that difficult!

Sounds fun..

yeah the dig can be a pain, hoping to remedy this whilst fitting my flat skid and parts ive had ages....  Wouldn't have thought a mount for a full size servo should be too hard - have fun!!

• Like 1

Fab'd up the servo mount.

Had some 3mm perspex,(or something like that!) in the junk box.

Cut to size - has to be installed when the skid is in place as it protrudes past the cage.

Some long hex bolts cut to size, drilled and tapped and away we go!

I'm surprised it worked as well as it did. I expect someone with machinery would be able to make a very nice aluminium mount in the same fashion!

Picture.

I made a 'running' video but can't figure out how to embed it so you'll have to take my word for it!

RA4JZQZ.jpg

• Like 3

On 05/07/2020 at 13:15, stimpy said:

Yeah but how did you find the weighting man?????

Don't forget I got the HR OD kit in the classifieds... Can't remember think its 13/14% iirc....

Well the Hyrax tyres came, thanks from Wheelspin . They feel great, just waiting on the foams (CI) and SSD Prospects. For a UK company SSD don't half like to make us wait longer than the US:(

I forgot you had the HR OD kit!! I thought it was just the TGH stuff. 

Will take another look now and probably get a PM to you shortly mate👍

21 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Well the Hyrax tyres came, thanks from Wheelspin . They feel great, just waiting on the foams (CI) and SSD Prospects. For a UK company SSD don't half like to make us wait longer than the US:(

I forgot you had the HR OD kit!! I thought it was just the TGH stuff. 

Will take another look now and probably get a PM to you shortly mate👍

No worries mate...

Where are you ordering the SSD from?

And how did you find the weighting?

Re the hyraxes, I actually used the PL dual foams in mine and just scalloped the front inner out a tad... Only 1 mucky drive on them mind so can't comment fully... Then took the truck apart for a few tweaks so hopefully pull my finger out and get down the quarry where ill ne able to comment more on the alterations..

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

No worries mate...

Where are you ordering the SSD from?

And how did you find the weighting?

Re the hyraxes, I actually used the PL dual foams in mine and just scalloped the front inner out a tad... Only 1 mucky drive on them mind so can't comment fully... Then took the truck apart for a few tweaks so hopefully pull my finger out and get down the quarry where ill ne able to comment more on the alterations..

RCbitz for the SSD Prospects. Almost tempted myself into RC4WD Gold Mesh but they're quite tempremental i've heard for mounting up Proline's?

Weight on the rig is now in a very good place as i've got the 85g at each corner, small 1600 lipo up top so all in still quite light. Side hilling is excellent.

Went up the woods last night, very very dusty and ludicrously steep - it's traditionally a downhill mtb scene but it was getting towards dusk so only tyre tracks left.

Anyway she peformed admirably with the Rock Beasts on which aren't brilliant in the loose stuff but there's enough wheel speed to make them count.

Really liking this rig but need to stop ignoring the others!!!!

(Supposed to be getting deliveries today. Where have I heard that from!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks great man, hopefully see you out on the rocks again soon! 

I've ran portal weights on the rear back to back without and found the balance better with just the front fitted. Many others disagree 🤣 Am shooting for 65/35 balance and hopefully once the new chassis and front electrics plate is here It'll be thereabouts, targeting 2.5kg overall.

If your looking for a high clearance skid, I've had good experiences ordering from IntheworksRC (my skid fitted is from them) and Spare Time Hobbies. All the good stuff is in the States right now..

Would be interested in a back to back between your Hyrax's and Rock Beasts. Personally, love to hate the Hyrax's but they've been my go-to choice for dry conditions for years..

Edit, if you want to go a bit further, take a look at the Krazed Alcista comp chassis. Hopefully be able to give you some feedback in a week or two 🙂

Edited by Rtsbasic

7 minutes ago, Rtsbasic said:

Looks great man, hopefully see you out on the rocks again soon! 

I've ran portal weights on the rear back to back without and found the balance better with just the front fitted. Many others disagree 🤣 Am shooting for 65/35 balance and hopefully once the new chassis and front electrics plate is here It'll be thereabouts, targeting 2.5kg overall.

If your looking for a high clearance skid, I've had good experiences ordering from IntheworksRC (my skid fitted is from them) and Spare Time Hobbies. All the good stuff is in the States right now..

Would be interested in a back to back between your Hyrax's and Rock Beasts. Personally, love to hate the Hyrax's but they've been my go-to choice for dry conditions for years..

Edit, if you want to go a bit further, take a look at the Krazed Alcista comp chassis. Hopefully be able to give you some feedback in a week or two 🙂

Best get a build thread, piccies or both on that Alcista!...