• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to crawling

Briclimb

Hi all I’ve just got a losi comp crawler rolling chassis and am looking for advice on what esc/motor combo to use and also what transmitter/receiver to use so I can use the dig?  Thanks

• Like 1

Losi comp Crawler!! Loved mine ❤️

Post a pic and I’ll help ya!! 🤪

These Losis are less fussy regarding ESCs as they have natural ‘drag brake ‘ built into them with the worm gear axles - if that’s what yours has fitted still? Due to the friction within that type of gear they often need no drag brake setting at all!... 

As to set up, really will depend upon what you want to spend and how light you want to go?. 

From there we can advise.... 

But only for pics!! Hehe

• Like 1

Hi thanks for your help

It’s completely standard and almost new so it has the original axels on it.

im not bothered yet about weight because I just want to get it going and hopefully understand more about what I need to make it better later on. I don’t want to spend much I know very little about the differences in motors turns etc.  It’s a bit confusing really 😂 

Ok , so I would get;

Esc - Hobbywing 1080 - cheapest bestest - else get the 1060 if budget is tight 

Motor - 16-20t motor in a 5 slot else a 35/45t in a 3 slot. Budget will guide choice.

Steering Servo - Power HD or JX 20 - 30kg options

Radio - I use a Sanwa and an old Spektrum but any 3 channel plus radio will do - ask in the electronics bit , there’s some uber set that’s cheap that many folk use, can’t remember the name right now... 

I assume you have the dig servo? 

let me know budget bee motor and I can suggest some options ( £15 - £150 options!!)... 

Now get them pics!! 🤪

Brilliant thanks I will probably go with the 1080 esc as it’s quite cheep

i have some servos off my summit that will do for a bit until I can afford to get a better one and a 4 channel tq transmitter that I can rewire to make the dig work again until I can get something better. 

I just have to sort a body for it now
Can’t wait to pick it up Friday 

• Like 1

Cool man!! 

So body and motor then 👍 

Personally I loved the body that came with it.... Or are you planning to put a more scale

body on it?... 

Re esc and motor, iirc a 1080 is around £40ish....  I run Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Pro motors - but they’re around £80 when in stock or it’s a foreign order. I have heard a lot of good things about the reedy radion 5 slot and have had one on order a while now so not tried it yet but they’re £30, then there’s the Konect RC 5 slot crawler motor and Surpass hobby crawler 5 slot - think they’re around £15 but I’ve never tried one.... 

A 5 slot will give you smoother low down torque and start up control 👍

Edited by stimpy

11 minutes ago, Briclimb said:

I want the original body if I can find one and a mate has a 55t motor for me to try so we shall see how it goes with that. 

It will work with the 55 but proper slow and crawl only... we used to run 55 all the time back in the day!! Even more sometimes!.. But lower turns is much more useable now 👍.

I may have an old 35T 3 slot rc4wd motor if you get stuck....  Pretty average but turns... 

The original bodies are hard to find I believe but plenty others pretty close... You can’t beat some

of the crawler beetle bodies for roll over either.... 

Was going to say try Kamtec - they’ll have something beetle- I have an abs lightweight vac moulded beetle body from them but I’m sure they do lexan too which would be slightly lighter.... 

However just looked and they’re closed for May now due to covid!

I definitely got that abs one in stock otherwise I could sell...  Or actually now I remember I have a Tamiya lexan classic beetle body also you could cut the motor and arches off and just warm the sides in.... 

Your choice, no pressure and definitely other cool bodies around 👍

All you want is something you can cut on low to the chassis that will help you get to the wheels easier on a roll over and also being low not get in the way when crawling at angles through gaps... 

2 minutes ago, Briclimb said:

I’m interested in either how much do you want for them 

Hehe, I’ll dig them out tomorrow and take some pics for you 👍

The Tamiya is £18 ( in the classifieds at the mo), and iirc the Kamtec would be around £14/15... Post is around £4 If they fit in the right box!... 

Cool. I’ll get you the pics anyway in the morning.

The Kamtec one looks great 👍. Only downside as its ABS you paint it on the outside so it will get scratched...  Or just paint the windows and leave it in plastic colour maybe... 

Ill also check to see if I don’t have a spare one of the other lexan shells I mentioned... Pretyy sure I don’t but will check anyway... 

Here’s some pics mate...

Poor pic but next to the tamiya bug..

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

You would trim it further to sit as low as possible and clear all links - the more trimming the cooler they look!!

Weighs in at 120ish g. A lexan would be about 50/70g for reference...