• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Glow Igniter and Glow Plugs

Spanky5000

Hi all,

Hope everyone's keeping safe and entertained with the current circumstances!

I'm after some pointers regarding a new Glow Igniter and what Glow Plugs to run.

I've got a Hyper ST Pro which I haven't used in around a year and have decided to get it out again. It's running a Hong Nor Force .32 engine and have been using OS No.8 plugs but after doing a little reading, I've seen people recommending to use a slightly cooler plug?

Would anyone be able to point out what other alternatives could be good or even better to use?

Also is there a decent re-chargeable Glow Igniter that anyone could recommend? Currently have a 2100mAh "Nitro" brand one but was curious as to whether there might be a better quality one out there?

Thanks in advance guys! 🤩

I personally run the OS 8 in my nitro car and helicopters without any issues. As for glow starter for me I have an 1800mah and a 2200mah. I reckon having more than 1 will be a bonus more than having a high milliamp one. Do  you use a starter box,   as some have a connection for a remote lead for a glow clip or modify an existing box ?

2 hours ago, Mack1 said:

I personally run the OS 8 in my nitro car and helicopters without any issues. As for glow starter for me I have an 1800mah and a 2200mah. I reckon having more than 1 will be a bonus more than having a high milliamp one. Do  you use a starter box,   as some have a connection for a remote lead for a glow clip or modify an existing box ?

Thanks mate,

I guess I'll stick with the OS 8's then 👍🏽

How long would you expect to get out of a glow plug before it needs to be replaced?

Yeah I was thinking of getting another glow started tbh so I can always have one charged and one charging etc. No I don't use a started box, what's a glow clip?

1 hour ago, 1111 said:

Os#8 (medium-hot) is what I run most but in my t maxx's run LC3 ( hot)  Cooler plugs are for high nitro. Glow plug igniter batteries  I use 3800 mah batteries. Less doesn't last long and I have 3 always charged. And I have a glow plug clip on a power panel ready any time.

So I should be cool running the OS 8 in my force. 32 then? Would there be any benefit or reason for me to run something cooler? 

As in a 3800 mah rechargeable glow igniter?

What's a glow plug clip and power panel? Sorry I'm not all that up on all the gear haha! 😂

I'm running and always have ran Byron Gen 2 Race Fuel 25% so would that mean I need to go to a cooler plug?

What do you mean by c-d size sorry? And will any of the rechargable ones on eBay with a Meter on do the job?

Thanks for clarifying! 

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm best set up for running the truggy well 👍🏽

15 minutes ago, 1111 said:

Byron fuel is crap It doesn't have enough oil lube in race gen 2 fuel. see chart below. You need 14-18% oil lube in the fuel if you're not racing l. You should be fine with Os#8 plugs. Do you add any extra head shims for the % nitro you use?  With  Os you are required to add a shim to the head anything over 20% nitro. Os is all I use as I can get replacement parts easy.

high nitro 30-50%  require a cool burning plug.

sub-c ,c.d are the size of the battery. Only get the bigger sizes on ebay with a meter on top and charger

Glow plug you can get on Ebay. I buy them by the card 12 pcs.

http://www.byronfuels.com/products/compare_byron.html With the price of fuel today !  I only run 15% and now that it has gone even higher!!! I plan on making my own. Buying fuel by the Quarts is a BIG rip off!!!!!

That's worrying to hear that the fuel I'm using is crap 😂😐

I'm based in the UK so is there a particular fuel you'd recommend for my Force .32 engine that it should run decent on? No, I don't use any shims - would these go under the heat sink? As I said, it's only used for bashing so this is all useful new information to me 👍🏽

So for the glow igniter would something like this be decent enough?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-metered-glow-starter-and-charger-purple-alloy/rc-car-products/31059

Cheers 

This is what I was thinking for a starter box  setup, new or secondhand? I bought mine (minus the power panel) second hand for cheapness Entirely upto to you how much you want to spend though as it's only a luxury at the end if the day.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=21060&gclid=CjwKCAjwvZv0BRA8EiwAD9T2VaGb4bJLWn5xhlfO4kr9O6AALoraVGApTZQ6KrRD0FHlDXyrGw-z4RoC3FAQAvD_BwE

Fuel for me is 25% optifuel for nitro cars. 

5 hours ago, Mack1 said:

This is what I was thinking for a starter box  setup, new or secondhand? I bought mine (minus the power panel) second hand for cheapness Entirely upto to you how much you want to spend though as it's only a luxury at the end if the day.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=21060&gclid=CjwKCAjwvZv0BRA8EiwAD9T2VaGb4bJLWn5xhlfO4kr9O6AALoraVGApTZQ6KrRD0FHlDXyrGw-z4RoC3FAQAvD_BwE

Ah ok fair enough dude. I'm gonna just stick to the normal pull-start. 

It was more the glow igniter I was querying haha! 

Thanks for the recommendation on fuel, I've seen a few accounts on optifuel 25% and people having decent results TBF!

What engine do you run? 

2 hours ago, 1111 said:

You should run gen 2   20 % or 33% fuel with 16% oil lube. More oil cools the engine and make it last longer.

Look at the chart and see that not all there fuel is crap. You need 14% to 18% oil lube especially for back  yard bashing.

I'm only speaking from experience as my Os engines don't run with Byrone race gen2 fuel. and I run cars and helies. I'm not buying  many  different fuels.

The choice for glow plug igniter is fine. But I suggest a bigger mah  battery later.  3500-4500 mah.

A starter box is nice but I use the hand starter with rubber wheel.

Use a fuel filter if the tank doesn't have one built in.

I'm gonna have to look into options of other fuel brands as Byron isn't all that easy to source or get in the UK tbh.

I might give the Optifuel 20 or 25% a go and see how I get on with that tbh as I've done a fair bit of reading up and have seen a lot of good reviews and accounts of the Optifuel as an easily obtainable fuel in the UK 👍🏽

Ah ok I'll have a look for a higher mAh battery, just trying to find one that size but metered - can you suggest any?

Yeah it's for a fuel filter in the fuel line that came with it which I cleaned out last night 👍🏽 

What does a tank fuel filter look like? I've just got the standard hyper ST tank...

2 hours ago, 1111 said:

When buying fuel you have to read the label for oil lube.  The Opti fuel looks better with 15% oil lube  for cars but it's full synthetic. Get the AERO mix which has 18% oil lube.  I get a mix with castor which keeps the engine clean inside. You could always just add castor to raise the lube%. 5oz per gallon to get 2% more lube.  But with the cost of fuel on the rise I plan next year to start making it myself. I was going to do it this year but due to the pandemic. I can't now.  There is NO difference using Aero fuel in cars both engines are 2 cycle. It's all I have used. Car fuel is just a gimik to get you to buy it.

The igniter glow driver you picked is fine. You won't find one with a bigger mah battery. You will have to get the higher mah  battery separate.

some cars have the fuel filter inside the tank in the pick up tube. Other wise you have to add the fuel filter. One thing always over looked  until it's too late and the engine is ruined.

I'll have to do some more research into the fuel side of it and see what fuel people are using with the engine and what sort of results/how they're getting on with it.

I'm not really one to start messing with adding extra castor etc tbh, I'd rather just buy fuel and run it haha 😂

So I'm guessing I should be able to just change the battery out of that Glow igniter?

Yeah I've got one in my fuel line so all good 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2020 at 11:35, Mack1 said:

Morning, i'm just in the process of rebuilding my car.

Decided to give my starter box a good clean today which is exactly the same as the one in your link, Fastrax King  part no FAST555.  Great bit of kit but i think their discontinued now, mine is about 16 years old and never let me down, its still in good condition so i can definitely recommend them .

Does anyone else have experience with these starter boxes??? I now want to connect up the Q-world front plate and use the Fastrax plug in starter with he banana clips which looking at the spec should be part number FAST47.  My issue is i don't know where to terminate the cables inside, i'm assuming on the back of the banana clips next to the on/off switch 🤷‍♂️. Also looking at the info for this glow plug igniter its states the input voltage needs to be 1.5v but when i touched the ends down to the 12v battery i obviously get 12v between black and red  terminals and 10v between the yellow terminals, the voltage doesn't change when turning the screw from  L  to H.  Does  anyone know if this means the panel is faulty???