• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First post Lunchbox advice please

DeeCee

Hi all 

As I said in my post in the introduction section I am looking to get a lunchbox (Yes I'm one of those that wanted one back in the day but wasn't lucky enough! Lol ).

Anyhoo I see that the choice of options upgrades etc is mindblowing so I have a few in mind that I will be doing. In fact I have already ordered the bearings and aluminium body mounts lol. So my question is and I know this will have been asked to death before but can anyone recommend a good ESC, servo, motor(brushed) battery and radio control. (twin stick is the choice for me). I am opting to just buying the lunchy on its own and so would rather purchase the electronics separately and have it more to my preference rather than buying a bulk kit from a store and having to upgrade later. I know I will end up upgrading a lot of the mechanicals as time goes on but would rather get the electrical side of it done from the start. 

Tia 

Dave 

One thing you need to replace if you're considering a faster-than-supplied motor is the pinion - Tamiya pinions are notoriously naff, a delicate combination of cheese and aluminium dust.

If you buy a kit from the UK, you should get a motor and ESC with it, but it'll be a fairly mild affair.

LB gearboxes are tough though, you can put some pretty silly motors in and you'll wreck the roof before you trash the gearbox 😁
My last build had a Hobbywing EZRun 8.5t in it, the one before had a 19t Fireball brushed - Both with a Towerpro servo (the front wheels don't spend much time on the ground)

Search for 'lunchbox 5th shock' for the best handling tweak

Here's a load of mods I did to one of mine; https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=91642&id=169

img169_01092010232121_2_1100_.jpg

img169_16082009183302_1_1100_.jpg

Edited by TWINSET

1 hour ago, TWINSET said:

One thing you need to replace if you're considering a faster-than-supplied motor is the pinion - Tamiya pinions are notoriously naff, a delicate combination of cheese and aluminium dust.

If you buy a kit from the UK, you should get a motor and ESC with it, but it'll be a fairly mild affair.

LB gearboxes are tough though, you can put some pretty silly motors in and you'll wreck the roof before you trash the gearbox 😁
My last build had a Hobbywing EZRun 8.5t in it, the one before had a 19t Fireball brushed - Both with a Towerpro servo (the front wheels don't spend much time on the ground)

Search for 'lunchbox 5th shock' for the best handling tweak

Here's a load of mods I did to one of mine; https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=91642&id=169

img169_01092010232121_2_1100_.jpg

img169_16082009183302_1_1100_.jpg

I didnt realise the lunchbox could take so much abuse 😮. May just have to invest in one of these !!

39 minutes ago, robo-dude said:

I didnt realise the lunchbox could take so much abuse

They're pretty strong chassis although the bodies get wrecked  easy as the truck doesn't handle great and the first 'mod' is usually more power.

The truck in the first pic is the chassis from the orange pickup with a new shell, wheels and motor - the orange shell and chrome wheels got trashed in a jousting tournament but everything else survived.
By the time the grey version was toast the  shocks were wrecked, as were the wheels and shell, but the chassis was still perfectly useable.

The trucks are a little top heavy (or at least high-centred) because of the ABS body, so they don't corner anything like a buggy or even a monster truck, but they are fun to drive.
There are a few Shapeways mods to get 'decent' handling out of them, but once you've taken all their 'character' away, there's not much point in owning one!

• Like 1

On 10/01/2020 at 14:36, fnknan said:

They look like great fun. All you need is a quicrun 1060 and some 3s lipos to get more power, might have to grab one when I have the money

Would need to change any other components aside from the ESC and battery. I’m interested in getting my LB running on LiPo batteries. Thanks 

49 minutes ago, Wattser said:

Would need to change any other components aside from the ESC and battery. I’m interested in getting my LB running on LiPo batteries. Thanks 

I'm pretty sure that's all you'll need to change. The motors are 27t silver cans if I recall correctly so they shouldn't overheat on 3s. You might have an issue with the motor brushes wearing out quicker than usual due to higher motor speeds, but brushed motors/ motor brushes are so cheap nowadays that it's not much of an issue, you can always replace them.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401804580014 (this is a rebranded 1060)

I'd definitely recommend running this, maybe attach the ESC to the old motor until you burn it out, then throw the new one for some extra speed, and then when that one burns out just replace the brushes

• Thanks 1