• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why modelsport barely supporting nitro stuff anymore

B4D TEMP3R 303

I've been away from rc for awhile but now im getting back into it I've noticed nitre cars and spares are harder to get or choices are alot more limited than used to. Hpi seem to have hardly any nitro stuff as i was trying to look at spares for my savage and i thought hpi was one of the more popular nitro brands. I know brushless electric car had kinda taken over but didnt realize nitro was going out this much 

HPI has been dead a while. It's currently on it's second Life support machine. Last we heard is they couldn't pay their impounded goods customs fees so the whole lot was sold to another investor.

Hobao still produce nitro RTRs, as does Kyosho and Losi. 

ebay is your best bet now for HPI parts, you might find it better looking for another Savage (not working or damage) to get the parts you need. most cases works out cheaper that way and you have other spares to hold onto.

I'm still running HPI Rush Evo, MT2 and Thunder tiger Ts4n. Most of the parts sourced off ebay when needed..

7 hours ago, mond said:

HPI has been dead a while. It's currently on it's second Life support machine. Last we heard is they couldn't pay their impounded goods customs fees so the whole lot was sold to another investor.

Hobao still produce nitro RTRs, as does Kyosho and Losi. 

Ahh that would make sense then shame really hope they get back on their feet

3 hours ago, Danzaroonie said:

ebay is your best bet now for HPI parts, you might find it better looking for another Savage (not working or damage) to get the parts you need. most cases works out cheaper that way and you have other spares to hold onto.

I'm still running HPI Rush Evo, MT2 and Thunder tiger Ts4n. Most of the parts sourced off ebay when needed..

Yh was thinking i probs will have too and maybe not bash it as hard as i used too as parts may dry up cheers

4 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Nitro isn't what it used to be, with the developement of lithium batteries etc... Most people made the switch to brushless.

Some stuff run nitro and obviously they still race nitro, but it's definitely the most dead part of the hobby it seems.

Yh i know its a shame most people are lazy like that coz even tho nitro more hassle its also more rewarding i think than electric everyone should have at least one nitro in their colection i think it can teach you alot. Shame most people have let it die this much 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, B4D TEMP3R 303 said:

Yh i know its a shame most people are lazy like that coz even tho nitro more hassle its also more rewarding i think than electric everyone should have at least one nitro in their colection i think it can teach you alot. Shame most people have let it die this much 

I guess it's personal opinion, I don't find nitro more rewarding personally, I like the simplicity of taking my model out with no extras, one battery in my SCT can give me a good 30 minute bash, no carrying a fuel bottle, glow starter etc...

If I want noise, I think a proper petrol is the most rewarding.

Nitro for me is a bit of a non starter, I used to have them and enjoyed using them when they worked, but with electrics being so good and cheap these days and petrols also being an option, nitro has become a little bit moot.

The only reason to choose nitro these days is for the noise, which then limits where you can run it. Modern electrics are faster, more powerful and with modern batteries can run as long as you want. From dealing with rtr nitros, owners these days expect them to just work without having to deal with tuning and adjusting the engine before you start running when you can just plug in a battery and go.

Plus you don't have the cost of nitro fuel and with shops closing there's less local shops to buy fuel from, so you have the extra expense of courier postage to get it delivered.

Nitro at 25 quid plus per gallon +postage put a lot of people off nitro.  That, the lack of power, stink & noise put me off.  I had 2 posh women ride their horses  half a mile to scream " turn that f *5&ing thing off!!!"  at me. I couldn't, it was 20 ft away. 😂. I didn't turn it off either. Their horse's didn't seem too impressed. Because the riders rode them over to where I was 🙄. Not my fault, not my problem 😐

Edited by Snfu
Autocadrivel
  • Haha 1

I've never owned a nitro but I wanna  grab a cheap one off nitrotek to see how I like it. The issue is that there are a very limited amount of places I can run the thing in london. I can run electrics wherever and whenever I want for free so it's just a lot more viable for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Hmm strange never had problem with finding somewhere to run them or people complaining and ive always ran them in very public places or even out in my street and even ran them in front of police number of times never once had problem dog walkers tend to love it coz their dog will just chase my rc so saves them the exercise lol and most passerbys will stop and ask me about my nitro car. And as for petrols whenever i look at them there to big for me to store anywhere and too expensive nitro cars can be pretty well priced new or used obviously electric tends to be bit cheaper but nitro not that much more expensive to put me off and i have two nitro two electric and i tend to get bored of electric coz its less involved feels less of a hobby and more of toy coz toys u just pick up n play for the most part and nitros require more work like most real hobbies if you know what i mean requires more attention like building models or restoring a classic car for example where as electric not much too it i only like them for the winter months or if im feeling to lazy to deal with nitro but still wanna run some rc's. Im just surprised its died that much coz its kinda owning a classic car there less reliable but loads people that will prefer them to modern cars which are easier injust thought it would kinda be the same with nitro rc cars obviously theres still some of us out there that do still bother with them but didn't think it would get this little to the point of the actual market for them dying off

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snfu said:

Nitro at 25 quid plus per gallon +postage put a lot of people off nitro.  That, the lack of power, stink & noise put me off.  I had 2 posh women ride their horses  half a mile to scream " turn that f *5&ing thing off!!!"  at me. I couldn't, it was 20 ft away. 😂. I didn't turn it off either. Their horse's didn't seem too impressed. Because the riders rode them over to where I was 🙄. Not my fault, not my problem 😐

A good nitro engine will easily match the HP of an 8th scale Brushless motor. It just can't match the instant torque. Noise is the biggest issue. They are even louder and more piercing than silenced 5th scale two stroke. 

19 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Nitro isn't what it used to be, with the developement of lithium batteries etc... Most people made the switch to brushless.

Some stuff run nitro and obviously they still race nitro, but it's definitely the most dead part of the hobby it seems.

i agree, i came into the hobby extremely late. im still learning all the nitro stuff and its hard to get your hands on a decent car now, that and fuel

I'd be happy to bet that the majority of MS customers are bashers and brushless suits 90% of us due to it's simplicity, shear power and the convenience of plug and play. Nitro is still big in the racing scene but most bashers just aren't interested.

On 09/10/2019 at 17:22, fnknan said:

I've never owned a nitro but I wanna  grab a cheap one off nitrotek to see how I like it. The issue is that there are a very limited amount of places I can run the thing in london. I can run electrics wherever and whenever I want for free so it's just a lot more viable for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Personally i'd avoid NItrotek like the plague. Their models are terribly designed and built with zero spares. For a first nitro it'll just frustrate the hell out of you as i doubt it'd ever run right.  If you want to get into bashing nitro, the Hobao Hyper is still the best way to go IMO - it's strong and spares are everywhere! I'd also avoid used nitro off the bay as you just don't know it's history  - i've been bitten a few times!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi troops  I was wondering about the thunder tiger eb4 s3 i bought years ago. Can anybody advise on who can do new shells cheap. Only One on ebay is £60 and yeah i dont think thats cheap i know its a buggy but can it be altered to a flat track car like a bmw sport look or similar? I havent even ran a 2nd tank of fuel through yet due to injury years ago. Any advice be great

3 hours ago, Jeff Chadwick said:

Hi troops  I was wondering about the thunder tiger eb4 s3 i bought years ago. Can anybody advise on who can do new shells cheap. Only One on ebay is £60 and yeah i dont think thats cheap i know its a buggy but can it be altered to a flat track car like a bmw sport look or similar? I havent even ran a 2nd tank of fuel through yet due to injury years ago. Any advice be great

I would just trim a hyper 7 shell or something similar to fit. They're pretty cheap

On 22/10/2019 at 02:29, fnknan said:

I would just trim a hyper 7 shell or something similar to fit. They're pretty cheap

Thats the one i now remember some guy said hyper shell cool. Do you know how much id be looking to strip out nitro to make electric as i heard it can be done but im a newb or would advise just buy new?

59 minutes ago, Chazza69 said:

Thats the one i now remember some guy said hyper shell cool. Do you know how much id be looking to strip out nitro to make electric as i heard it can be done but im a newb or would advise just buy new?

Well I'm not an expert on nitro by any means but I'm pretty sure all you really need is an electric motor mount and battery tray. Have a search around for both and see what you can find. Don't know what prices you'll be looking at though.

In terms of electronics you can grab a racerstar 1/8 ESC and motor combo, a jx ecoboost servo and a zop power 4s lipo for about £110 total which isn't too bad. You can find them all on bangood. 

In total be prepared to spend possibly up to £200 including the shell. 

1/8 scale buggies are expensive 😅

52 minutes ago, Jeff Chadwick said:

Thanks for the advice mate main problem being is i have not got a clue i imagine these things will need drilled and bolted to chassis? 

Nah I'm pretty sure they'll fit the existing chassis holes if it was made for your buggy. If you want to adapt a part for a different buggy then you might need to get drilling