• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can I pick your brains again folks?

Fat Freddy

Hi folks,

First some background. On an impulse I bought myself a FTX Vantage after some 30 yrs away from RC.

I have to say I’m really enjoying it so far. I only use it for messing about, not racing. Have changed the wheels for larger ones to give myself a bit more ground clearance as I kept grounding out (should prob have thought about it longer and got a truggy or truck instead.. maybe even a crawler.. I just saw “RC CAR” and bought it). So now I’m hooked and want to start modding it. Not for speed (yet), just looks.

I’m crashing less and less as my skills improve but the crashes I do have are getting bigger. As my confidence grows I get faster, so when it all goes wrong......

I will eventually get to the request(s) for advice, honest.....

I want to move away from the buggy look and have a yen to put a truck/truggy, possibly a rally car, or even a crawler type body on it. Not one of those expensive replica jobs. Something cheap that won’t break the bank if (when!) I trash it. Partly because I think it’ll look cool and partly so the body takes the hit rather than the suspension towers.

wheelbase is 28cm and width (inc new larger wheels) is 27.5cm.

So, firstly where is a good place to get body shells from?

Any particular company you favour?

Has anyone else with an FTX Vantage or similar done the same thing? (It’s probably in the vantage thread but that is SO long)

Any advice on how to choose the right shell?

Any advice on what NOT to do?

And once I’ve chosen my shell, any advice on how best to mount it? The FTX  carnage body mounts apparently fit straight on without any need for modifications so I thought that might be a good starting point but obviously they are intended for the carnage body. So any advice on how to do custom body posts? (I notice there is an unused hole in each corner of the base plate that I could maybe use as a fixing point for new body posts?)

finally, I find spring clips really annoying but they are at least pretty foolproof. I like the idea of magnetic mounts for convenience but are they strong enough to hold the body shell on in a crash (multiple rolls for instance?)

Apologies for asking so many questions at once. Hope you can help folks.

Here it is, filthy after a bash in the wet. I know this is pretty low-brow stuff compared to some of the stuff you guys have, but trust me, 30 years ago, this would have been amazing for the price 😋👍

thanks

Fred

image.jpg

Edited by Fat Freddy
I forgot to click the “notify me”button and am hoping if I edit it, I’ll get another chance.
  • Like 1

Firstly, welcome back to the hobby and the forum :) 

There isn't really one cheap place for bodyshells, I tend to check Modelsport for finding the style I want and if I am happy with the price I buy it, if not, put the part number into Google and sometimes you'll find a sale, or even eBay.

The lead up to Christmas is sometimes a good chance to get different shells, just make sure it will fit your chassis.

Measure twice, order once, there's no real hard and fast rules on what to do and what not to do, likewise with mounting, if it's the right size and fit, it should use the stock body posts, if it's going to become a real Frankensteins monster, you might need to look at modifications and/or adding new body posts, but without knowing the shell, it's impossible to suggest how to do it.

I personally wouldn't use magnets for anything remotely fast, in a fast roll they'll come off generally.

• Like 1

Check out Delta plastics Italy.
Not to be confused with the USA store.
They have shells for different scales also showing wheelbase lengths and dimensions.
They have various thicknesses available.
You could end up with a Ralley car or Lemans style LMP.
loads to choose from.
I just bought an Intergralle shell along with decals.
Shell was only 20 quid.
Fast delivery. Had it within about 4-5 days.
Here’s what I’ve bought. ca0a63caa0e8b3812b5a049883c7c328.jpg

Bash, Break, Build, Repeat...

• Like 2

Thanks @Snfu I’ll give em another look. I have already checked em out but not all of them have wheelbase measurements etc. Emailed em for a list of products with 280mm wheelbase but they never replied. 

I’m sure I’ll find something soon.

Anybody else already done this? Maybe even have pics?

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, terry.sc said:
  • The only Kamtec body with 280mm wheelbase is the Kyosho Street Van.

As well as Delta Plastik  there is Team Bluegroove. Stickers for team Bluegroove bodies are available from MCIRacing.

Thanks Terry, that’s massively helpful. Appreciate the tip.