• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Motor & ESC recommendations please

Dirt-540

Looking for recommendations on a brushless motor and esc for my Tamiya Boomerang. It will be used for racing so want something reliable. Am not much cop at soldering so ideally want something thats plug and play. Bear in mind the buggy will be getting quite modified over time, plus Ive driven plenty of powerful set ups that out do the chassis in terms of class and I haven't had any failures due to my careful input.

1 hour ago, Dirt-540 said:

Looking for recommendations on a brushless motor and esc for my Tamiya Boomerang. It will be used for racing so want something reliable. Am not much cop at soldering so ideally want something thats plug and play. Bear in mind the buggy will be getting quite modified over time, plus Ive driven plenty of powerful set ups that out do the chassis in terms of class and I haven't had any failures due to my careful input.

What is the motor size?

A hobbywing sensored system would be great for racing i think. Failing that, or if you wanted to you could grab a castle sensored system. A bit of research is required as to which turn system to get, but once you know that you can purchase accordingly :)

2 hours ago, Ninetiesbeard said:

A hobbywing sensored system would be great for racing i think. Failing that, or if you wanted to you could grab a castle sensored system. A bit of research is required as to which turn system to get, but once you know that you can purchase accordingly :)

From what i can make out i need a 10.5t, just dont know which one to buy. Theres cheap goolrc combo for like 45 or hobbywing combo for 80.

36 minutes ago, Dirt-540 said:

From what i can make out i need a 10.5t, just dont know which one to buy. Theres cheap goolrc combo for like 45 or hobbywing combo for 80.

I had a goolrc combo in a little 1/16th traxxas slash. Goes like hell, and seemed pretty decent. Id probably go hobbywing just for the trust factor, and 10.5 sounds like plenty for the little boomerang

17 minutes ago, Ninetiesbeard said:

I had a goolrc combo in a little 1/16th traxxas slash. Goes like hell, and seemed pretty decent. Id probably go hobbywing just for the trust factor, and 10.5 sounds like plenty for the little boomerang

I agree that the goolrc is a good little fix, but you want something reliable and castle are pretty good if you are using a sensored one. But are you after endurance?

5 hours ago, CARNAGE FROM HELL said:

I agree that the goolrc is a good little fix, but you want something reliable and castle are pretty good if you are using a sensored one. But are you after endurance?

I wouldnt know if i need sensored or not.

As for endurance, I think the races are a balance between time and most laps.

5 hours ago, Ninetiesbeard said:

I am leaning more to the hobbywing but theyre like 90quid for the 10.5t or the KV equivelent.

1 hour ago, Dirt-540 said:

I am leaning more to the hobbywing but theyre like 90quid for the 10.5t or the KV equivelent.

I was always under the impression that sensored is mainly for racing and sensorless for bashing. Im sure you can use either for either but sensored has a smoother more linear power delivery IIRC.