• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RR10 Bomber torque twist

Estcourt110

Hello all

I'm very new to this and on a steep learning curve. I'm enjoying my SCX10 2 Honcho and after many YouTube hours I'm looking to add a RR10 Bomber kit version, which ticks all my boxes.

Can anyone tell me why the Bomber is so prone to cocking its left front wheel under power? I don't see it so frequently on any comparable trucks. I've searched here and found lots of hints about reducing it (rear anti roll bar, heavier damper oil etc), but nothing about the basic reason.

Any theories anyone?

(I'm not asking you to restate solutions I can dig out from the search function, but I'll welcome them if you want to give them!)

It's just the torque of the motor and drive train doing it. Get a set of roll bars and that will sort most if the problem. Locking the rear diff won't cause this - the YXL has an open rear diff. 

Thanks for the suggested solutions. The RR10 Bomber kit version comes with rear anti roll bar so I'm hoping that should be a good basis to work from.

I'm still interested in why the Bomber seems so prone to torque twist. Perhaps I'm seeing vehicles suffering from the classic boyracer error - power uprated before suspension.

When I was in my teens I was a passionate car racing fan and found suspension fascinating, if only on a "try to understand what DSJ is talking about in Motor Sport" sort of level. This was the mid 60's when life was simple, F1 was 220bhp from 1.5 litres and Colin Chapman was the suspension guru. (I just remembered that he started Lotus building trials cars, the 50's British version of rock crawlers.)

So my new involvement in RC has reawakened that interest and I'm looking forward to playing with suspension set up for real.

Thanks again.

Edited by Estcourt110

It's not just the bomber, it's any solid axle, shaft driven vehicle.  It's the rotation of the drive shafts causing it, along with the pinion gear trying to ride up the sun gear in the rear axle. Check out the Australian super trucks series. They have massive twist. 

Thanks mond. You’re right of course. I think I’ve been watching disproportionately more than my fair share of Bombers on YouTube, giving me the impression that they’re particularly prone to the problem.