• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Problems, problems, problems.....

Grimsson

I have been hard at it today. I have completely striped the baja, degreased/cleaned it and have started to put what I can back together. I must of taken out a fields worth of grass out of it ?

Even the diff didn't have hardly any oil in it, the gears are fine at least. What weight diff oil do you recommend for a Baja? I have got some 50,000 weight Traxxas diff oil already.

Here are some photos so far. I can't really afford anything at the moment so it will be a longer project for me.

Baja.JPG

Diff.JPG

• Like 1

looks great so far mate,

bonus that the diffs fine inside an all,

get yourself a few spare diff seals though, the big square one , they tend to swell and can usually only be used the once, 

there cheap enough to buy though,

baja diffs being almost empty of oil is a common thing as well, it just seems to disappear lol,

I think it just slowly leaks away between the bearings and the cup shafts to be honest when it gets hot then cools multiple times,

diff oil weight is a personal choice mate, a lot of people use 10,000 weight and are happy with it,

I use thicker, I think my baja currently has around the 60,000 weight mark in it, 

all down to how stiff ya want the diff though,

• Thanks 1

I'm going to be replacing every bearing in the buggy and engine and every seal/gasket. I am also going to replace all the odd bolts with the correct ones just for piece of mind. 

I priced it all up and it is going to cost around £366 for the parts to get it running again. I have already ordered the engine parts and a new metal roll cage. So it will cost around £500 for the complete restoration. 

One good thing, I have finished my Losi TLR 4.0 buggy at last, no thanks to the shop messing me about with the servo and delaying the build by two weeks. I just need to do the engine run-in, which I'll probably do tomorrow (weather permitting). 

• 4 weeks later...

looks great mate ?,

only thing i'd suggest is to try and add some strength back to the rear of the cage,

I have the same cage and it was modded to clear the rear shocks better, 

and also fit around an pcse slipper clutch, 

heres how mine was done to add that strength back at the rear of the cage roof ,

GOPR3926.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spents said:

looks great mate ?,

only thing i'd suggest is to try and add some strength back to the rear of the cage,

I have the same cage and it was modded to clear the rear shocks better, 

and also fit around an pcse slipper clutch, 

heres how mine was done to add that strength back at the rear of the cage roof ,

GOPR3926.jpg

Thanks for the tip, I like the way your cage has been modded.

I haven't got access to any welding gear. To be honest I haven't spent a lot on it, so I'm not too bothered if it gets a beating. I want to save up and build a new custom Losi or HPI petrol buggy. Build it with a big engine, something a bit crazy.