• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hi!

Geekfest84

Hi everyone! Just stumbled across this forum while looking at rc cars, thought I'd join, hope you don't mind. 

Taken quite a fancy to the traxxas TRX - 4, with the defender 110 body. I'm completely new to rc 4x4's, had a nitro drift car years ago but that's all. My son has taken a shine to his rc car we got him for his birthday, so thinking of doing it together with him kinds thing. 

Any advice/info you guys and girls could give/share would be much appreciated, as there's alot of things in the rc that I don't know/understand ? just seen an article mention hop ups?? What on earth are they? ?

Thanks for reading ?

Ian

Hi and welcome, I’ve only been a member a few months after getting into RC cars with my son, I’ve had boats and trucks for ages.

It’s a great forum with a wealth of knowledge, I think [emoji848] hop up’s came from Tamiya improved parts or mods to improve performance & handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing fancy to be honest, he's only 5 [emoji23] but I'll get him a nicer one soon, he's learning the ropes quickly. He prefers the 4x4's compared to buggys and cars. Not sure what to get him tho, I'd rather not spend £300+ just in case he smashes it/crashes it [emoji23]

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Hi pal

ive just got back into it and managed to bring a work pal with me .

we both have HPI Blitz Flux, I can honestly say I’m really glad I went with it. I pre ordered a Firestorm but they wen on hold last year so got my money back and bought a used Blutz from EBay.

its ace and take a beating, so robust but I’ve been advised the Traxxas Slash is even more so.

I think the Blitz flux is £299 new, it’s a brushless setup and waterproof. I run mine on 2s LIPOs and have a whale of a time with the thing.

• Like 1

Hi pal

ive just got back into it and managed to bring a work pal with me .

we both have HPI Blitz Flux, I can honestly say I’m really glad I went with it. I pre ordered a Firestorm but they wen on hold last year so got my money back and bought a used Blutz from EBay.

its ace and take a beating, so robust but I’ve been advised the Traxxas Slash is even more so.

I think the Blitz flux is £299 new, it’s a brushless setup and waterproof. I run mine on 2s LIPOs and have a whale of a time with the thing.
I'm pretty much now going to Google that whole post because I'm not sure what at least half of it means [emoji23][emoji23]

Have you changed the motor or battery or something in it then?

Yep, I'm a compete noob to be honest [emoji23][emoji23]

Ian [emoji106]

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

LOL

Ive just read it back and it’s the spelling your prob need google for !

Everythings stock mate (default, how it’s shipped from the manufacturer)

When I figure out how to post videos / pics I’ll upload. 

Basically I’m a noob to RC so what I’m about to write is only from my limited experience, the pros on here will correct me / explain anything that I can’t I’m sure as everyone’s really helpful on here.

There are brushed and brushless motors, from what I’ve read / understand brushless are more efficient than brushed as they utilise the power better for the turning of the motor. 

Lipo is a type of battery (lithium polymer) , 2,3,4,5,6S (s stands for Cell). So 2S is 2 cells, each cell has a voltage count. Typicality a 2S battery is 7.4 volts, each cell has its own individual voltage. It’s impkrtant to ensure you don’t run them too low or over charge Lipos as this can ruin them and even cause them to explode / create a fire.

Im on my phone so posting links isnt happening pal but there’s a topic on here which will help you understand far better than my ramblings above.

although Lipos CAN BE dangerous, as long as you understand them and take the correct procausions when using / storing them then there’s nothing to be worried about, they are ace compared to the older style power packs suck as Nimh and Nicad.

Im sure the guys on here will correct me if I’ve missed anything / got something incorrect.

• Like 1