• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Back to RC after 40 years, with a Talion!

guym1966

My last buggy was over 40 years ago, the Kyosho Elec Peanut buggy, with a Futaba 2 channel twinstick transmitter. Have being toying with the idea of getting another buggy for a while and after a fair bit of googling the Arrma Talion has really taken my eye. It looks like a real beast and I fully appreciate it will be a different kettle of fish from my little peanut buggy. Think i'll be running 3s for a while before jumping to 6s. Are there any words of advice regarding set up, starting out and things to watch out for to reduce the chances of an early disaster? I'm pretty set on the Talion its appears that Arrma have sorted the problems that were rumoured a while back regarding possibility of going bust etc, but if there are any other suggestions let me know, budget around £500-600. I've come across this deal on Metz.com which looks to be about the best bang for buck around. Says they have car in stock and ready to go, has anyone any experience of this website, are they reliable?

Link to deal  https://www.modellbau-metz.com/rc-modellbau/elektroautos-und-zubehoer/spar-sets/arrma-rc-talion-v3-6s-blx-4wd-truggy-24ghz-rtr-1_8

Thanks in advance for any hints and info, looking forward to getting back into RC after all these years!!!

Edited by guym1966

Welcome to MSUK :) 

The Talion is a minimum 4s, and a max of 6s. You wouldn’t be able to run on a single 3s pal.

Where about are you in the world? If it’s the UK try Modelsport - They also do bundles including battery’s etc 

19 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Welcome to MSUK :) 

The Talion is a minimum 4s, and a max of 6s. You wouldn’t be able to run on a single 3s pal.

Where about are you in the world? If it’s the UK try Modelsport - They also do bundles including battery’s etc 

Thanks for pointing that out, I've a lot to learn, will have to add a 4s into the bundle. I live in Limerick Ireland, checked out Modelsport and they get great reviews for customer support but their bundle was coming in at around €150 more than the equivalent form Metz.

Modelsport really lack a good battery choice so it's best to shop around. There's plenty of good places on the continent to buy RCs and parts from anyway. 

The talion will run good on 4S. 6S is fun but most of the time you'll be fighting for grip. 5S is really the sweet spot but there's not that much choice. 

• 3 weeks later...

There was no UK stock (or even an ETA) so I picked up a Talion a few weeks back from another German site. I had been looking at a Kraton but there were no v3s anywhere that I could find. I got mine with 2 x 3s gens ace 5200mah 40/80C batteries with it and use it on 6s. It's been a great buy, the car is really well planted on the stock tyres (Katars) and drives well. I did a lot of skidding around car parks and wore them down already, lol. I picked up a set of dboots Backflips and a set of Sweep Road Crushers. The Backflips are great off road, the Talion wants to wheelie with them though so I can't just give it full throttle from standing. The Road Crushers are poor off road (no surprise given the name) but very good on the road, they barely balloon so offer better control but aren't as fast. I like the Talion so much I'm looking to get another RC, probably a Typhon or Outcast this time. The Kraton is too similar. 

One thing to be aware of, you'll need a decent lipo charger. I went for a SKYRC d400.

On 13/09/2018 at 10:08, mond said:

Modelsport really lack a good battery choice so it's best to shop around. There's plenty of good places on the continent to buy RCs and parts from anyway. 

The talion will run good on 4S. 6S is fun but most of the time you'll be fighting for grip. 5S is really the sweet spot but there's not that much choice. 

The BLX185 in the Talion doesn't support 5S in Lipo mode. It's 4S or 6 only as far as I know. I understand that it will run with 5S in NiMH mode but that avoids the low voltage cut off so an additional low voltage alarm would be needed to prevent the lipo draining too far and becoming damaged.