• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New pinion chewing spur

Picked up a new 16t pinion for my bz-222. I made sure it was 48p, same as the spur. But I'm having real trouble setting it up. Used a piece of paper to set the gap, and tested. Spur starts being stripped.

It's a 16t pinion and a 97t spur. Are some sizes not compatible? Doesn't help hobbyking no longer support the model!

That'll get very noisy!
Paper trick isn't great either though.
Press it up flush then back off a tiny tiny bit, there should be a very small amount of play but you need to test that play all the way round the spur to be sure it's true all the way round.
Sometimes you'll need to try a different spur or pinion to get it A1.
I personally have a box full of gears to play about with before settling on a good combination to make sure it's not too noisy (I'm often near the public so don't want to be obnoxious!) and that it performs.
YouTube gear meshing,. there's a load of informative vids to learn more[emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There was one I had (metal to metal s&p) where the spur was damaging. Turned out the pinion was at fault. Teeth were really sharp and digging in on the spur wrecking it.
I'm kind of thinking this ones doing the same. I tried adjusting it a dozen times but it's still doing it. Ordered replacement spur and will look for a new pinion too.