• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HELP! Total newbie just bought this on Ebay...did I get robbed?

PH001

Hi all, total newbie to modern RC cars here but had a few in my youth and fancied getting back into it. So last night after a few beers I took a punt on this and won it ?...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HPI-Trophy-Truggy-Flux-1-8-Scale-Brushless-2-4GHz/202373549963?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2750.l2649

Got it for £200 but not even sure if that's a good deal or not!! Realise I need a battery so this is my first question... will a 4S fit OK, if so what capacity  / physical size will fit? Any links to recommended batteries would be great.

What else do I need to know about these?!?! Sorry for the total newby questions!!!

Hi, youve paid more than I wouldve paid personally but it still seems an okish deal. Look fairly clean and in not too bad  condition. If all works i certainly wouldnt feel ripped off. 

EDIT Ive just read the description. Eac is tempremental and Radio has a broken switch. I certainly wouldnt have paid £200. Can you get out of the deal and we can maybe advise you for something else?

Youre going to need a Lipo compatiable charger and either a single 4S lipo judging by the single connector. Whats your budget for the lipo and charger? Are you comfortable soldering?

Edited by Guns

Sorry guys, I'm not sure my Ebay link is working correctly. It's item no. 202373549963, is that the same as what you see when clicking the link? No mention of broken switch?

Ebay must have gone screwy...maybe it's because it was purchased so not available anymore so was suggesting alternatives. Does the item no. 202373549963 come up OK?

Well...you haven't exactly been ripped off...but...as with many beer fuelled E-Bay sessions, you have not chosen wisely.

It's not as bad a deal as buying new, because they want nearly £400 for a new one. That's daylight robbery for this buggy.

Anyway...

The battery tray adjusts for length, and should take either a single 4S pack or a pair of 2S in series.....which gives you 4S. You would need to either use a single pack or make up a dual lead for  the connector this buggy has. As Guns has said, you will need a compatable charger.

Battery wise...I also used the blue Turnigy Softpacks in 5000Mah size. I have a mix of 2S and 3S packs as I have some cars running 4S and others on 2 or 3S. I mix and match the packs to get hte voltage I want. If this is your only car...then you can go eiother way. Single pack is plug and play though. So probably better for you. If you go on the Hobbyking website, the batteriesd all have dimensions on them...and I would hold off buying packs until you get the car and can check the dimensions of the tray.

Edited by Nitroholic

Thanks! Is the HPI Trophy Truggy Flux not a such a great RC then? I just went for it as I new spares were quite easy to get hold off but don't know much more than that. The battery charger is included....if anybody is struggling to view the Ebay ad, I have posted below....

Used HPI Trophy Truggy Flux in good working condition. Comes with original box and all spare parts that come as standard when purchased new. Battery charger is included however batteries are not.

HPI_Truggy_flux_01.jpg

HPI_Truggy_flux_02.jpg

HPI_Truggy_flux_03.jpg

HPI_Truggy_flux_04.jpg

HPI_Truggy_flux_05.jpg

HPI_Truggy_flux_06.jpg

HPI_Truggy_flux_07.jpg

HPI_Truggy_flux_08.jpg

They're a good beastie. 4s max on the stock electrics, I'm using 2x 2s 5600mah Turnigy Trackstar hard case lipos and they're a perfect fit. Redo the centre diff with 100k silicone oil and it will happily pull wheelies from a standing start.