• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Arocs 3348 6x4 Tipper Truck Build

.AJ.

That colour looks really good. How do they get it to look so good? Must be many many coats of paint...I've seen some trucks that the paint work makes the plastics look like, well not plastic underneath...is this from lots of coats?

Hi guys, been following this forum for quite a while but figured it's time I joined in! I've had an Actros for a couple of years now part built - like AJ I like upgrading as I go along - and it's been untouched for about 6 months but seeing this has made me want to reach for the box wrench again. I'll get some pics up asap and given I'm not great with electronics I may well be asking some questions along the way. Any help will be much appreciated. 

(And I still can't decide on the colour either!) 

• Thanks 1

On 16/08/2018 at 10:47, .AJ. said:

Paint it exactly the same way as you would a car, the shine is from loads of lacquer coats and hours and hours of cut and buffing, looks awesome till it’s scratched and then it’s nearly impossible to fix 

I'm going to have to try this, I really want that showroom finish shine...it's going to be a show truck, hopefully, maybe ;)

So for the electronics you went with the IB2U? They have a new more updated one now IB2UM2 or something, I forget. Which did you go for again? Does this do the same thing as the Tamiya MFC-03 which is what I have now, but I'm considering other options for the next truck. I'd like to be able to control lots of different lights via the tx.

I didn’t bother with the IBU in the end, I’ve got a Hobbywing 1060 esc, OB1 RC V3.1m light controller and will get a Servonaut style sound module. The IBU looks awesome, but the crazy flashing modes of OB1 steered me in a different direction 

I noticed that is from rigidrc. I've been Googleing them to find reviews, but I came up with nothing. Also emailed them but no reply. Where are these guys based? Good service? I like a lot of their stuff...under their contact area there is no info about location whatsoever. 

I've had a couple of items from rigid, they're Hong Kong based I think. Got stung for a large amount of import duties on the first shipment as it was a large parcel. Subsequent orders came in envelopes and missed any duties. Parcel took a fortnight, envelopes about a week on average. 

Neither will I. They have a very impressive range but a lot of it seems quite pricey for what you get. 

AsTec Models and Truescale Trucks seem to be building up their ranges quite nicely though, have had quite a bit from both and can't fault the service. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah astec has some nice stuff too. Rigidrc has things both of them don't though...I had a feeling about rigidrc. Lol they're on the other end of the scale to the likes of Stella and rcmart where they mark the value over!? A bit spasticated

Edited by Mo.

• 1 year later...