• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya M05 Pro Build Thread

Hey :)

Yesterday I bought this M05 Pro on Ebay for £53 including postage. s-l1600.jpg

It comes with all the Mk1 M05 Pro goodies, including full ball bearings, oil filled shocks and various aluminium parts. As well as this is comes with a set of rally tires and a servo. 

s-l1600.jpg

I am going to use this car for mild racing (Not on a track... Yet*) along with my TT01 on concrete and maybe a smooth wood floor. First upgrades:

•Transmitter and reciever

•ESC

•A motor (Around 15-20t I reckon)

-Optional bits-

•New wheels and tyres

•A body (Most likely an HPI Switch body. Probably a Scion xB. Maybe a Tamiya Mini but I'd like a longer wheelbase)

More pictures when I get it in the post :P

Any upgrades I need?

Oli

• Like 1

Those oil shocks look cool, but the transparent plastic is quite brittle. The bodies last okay, but you might want to replace the tops and lower eyelets with the standard black rubbery plastic ones, and attach them with ball connectors rather than step screws for less slop. 

The steering rack is quite sloppy in stock plastic form. Tamiya make a ballraced alloy one that works brilliantly but costs a small fortune, and Yeah Racing make one that is functionally indistinguishable but far more affordable.

That servo looks a bit underwhelming. Is it ballraced? If not, you might want to get one that is. Every bit of slop reduction helps!

The motor doesn't get much airflow and can overheat. An alloy heatsink motor plate helps. Again the Yeah Racing one is functionally indistinguishable from the official Tamiya upgrade but far cheaper.

The stock alloy pinion is nice and light but wears out fast. A steel one lasts far better with minimal weight penalty.

In terms of motors, many clubs still race M- chassis cars on Sport Tuned black cans, and in all honesty the chassis didn't really need more than that. Extra power gives extra wheelspin, but doesn't make for much more in the way of performance. Case in point: one of mine has a 13.5t brushless motor, the other has a 27t brushed Torque Tuned silver can. The brushless one uses up tyres quicker, but is only 0.1 of a second faster around the track.

As for bodyshell options, the Fiat 500 works well on the track, with nice rounded corners that reduce the chances of getting hung up on things. Tamiya make a nicely detailed one, Matrixline do one that isn't quite as detailed but is a fair bit cheaper and fits just as well.

Thanks for the reply with the tips!

I didn't know that about the clear plastic... The only spare shocks I have are friction ones, and I don't expect they'll come in useful here? I was definitely thinking about using ball connectors though :thumbsup:

I heard lots of good things about the Yeah Racing parts. According to some people they are made in the same place? I think I'll wait until I get an income :P (Few months) then buy these parts as they're still £60! I could buy another one of these for that haha

I'm upgrading the servo with a (hopefully) metal geared one at some point

After looking at some other people's recommended motors, I may stick with an HPI Firestorm motor I have in my stores. 27T as you say :D

I quite like scale looks so I'm probably going with Tamiya or HPI for the body

Edit:

As I was writing this, it came in the post! I attached the ESC  and receiver (And motor) and it works well indoors! Steering goes to the left a bit though... To the workshop!

Gave it it's first run. Car handles great- much different to my 4wd chassis'. First part when I get money is probably going to be a bodyshell, followed by a new ESC (I stole this one from my TT01 racer) and TX/RX. Then I can get on to the upgrades ;) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The pro kit is alright, the oil shocks work great and give nice handling, and the aluminium bits look alright too. I got this for a steal too, so the £20 I was gonna spend on shocks can be spent on new electronics. Win-win :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...