• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

servo's voltage and terror oh my

Madmini

its been a while since i posted and i have a question...

i have some 5v servos that i am planning on running on 12v. my bench test shows the servos as working on my 3s lipo (its for a flying wing with inav) as im running my servos on vbat what are the chances that something terrible will happen? personally if they are working on the bench i cant see there being an issue when its flying but now im not so sure. 

Has anyone done anything similar? if so what happened?

thanks

I wouldn't do it myself, chances are it might work for a little while and then go pop, worse still it will go pop and take out all the connected electrics.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't go that high v with a 5v servo. A short bench test doesn't equate to the stress it will be under when flying. I've got a few of these (5v version) knocking about not doing anything if you want one? I bought a few for fpv setups but then switched mainly to higher voltage cams after forgetting which could handle what and smoking a couple. :whistling:

https://www.banggood.com/DC-DC-Converter-Step-Down-Module-UBEC-3A-5V-12V-BEC-For-RC-Airplane-FPV-p-981978.html?rmmds=search&ID=49553&cur_warehouse=CN

PM me your address and I'll stick one in the post. It's only a cheap one but if you're going to risk double the voltage anyway, it's probably a better gamble.

• Like 1