• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pinion Gear

neiloid1

Hi all,

Got a package from the States containing a Losi ball diff, slipper clutch & cover which I'm going to install tonight. The question is should I get an aluminium pinion gear for my speed motor and if I do should I also get an aluminium or Ti Slipper clutch gear? Metal on plastic or metal on metal - or is this overkill with a speed motor and 7.2volt battery?

Thoughts, comments and guidance, as always, greatly appreciated !

Cheers, Neil

Just need MIP CVD and I'm done for a while. :ph34r:

Edited by neiloid1

Hi,

Still using push on plastic pinion as I've not seen a need to change it. I'll get aluminium when the plastic spur is worn or I want to experiment with gearing. The most important thing at the moment is getting the steering sorted, it seems to be a bit unpredictable at the moment - will turn left but not right etc. Not sure if it's the servo or the steering links... Also need to get the ball diff working - I fully tightened it (I think) backed off an 8th and whilst the motor turned the slipper the out drives only turned slowly and occasionally. So the stock diff is in at the moment and all is well.

Get aluminium pinions not a spur, the push on ones will start to slip as you up the power. Are you still using the stock electrics? The servo in my mini-t was crap...well worth replacing the electronics in it, although it can end up being expensive.

RS4 is selling some decent brushless set-ups for micros, both the mamba and tekin rage systems are good. Its a great way to get rid of most of the stock electrics and gain some major speed. There are reviews of both on uk-microrc.

Edited by Hpi_matrix_stock

:blink: My mistake, I meant pinion...

Before I do anything I need to get the ball diff sorted and that looks like a trip to the LHS as I'm getting nowhere. I'm waiting for a new carbon chassis that I got off ebay to arrive, then I'm looking to build that up and sell my existing T after using it as a test bed for the bits that I get through for the build. I'm new to all this, only got my T a month ago and I'm addicted.

Thanks for the brushless tip, but they just seem too hairy to me at the moment, though their low maintainance is very appealing. Not going to go Lipo though. Looking at something like a Hitec Aggressor FM radio, with a Novak spy and an Orion Baja.. Steering servo would likely be an HS65MG. Deans plugs throughout.

Edited by neiloid1