• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Venture - my thoughts

TerryV34

Well, a couple of months ago I took the gamble and brought the long awaited HPI crawler. 

This was mainly try and keep up with my mates (ADH66) Scx10ii kit. 

Firstly, I think the HPI looks great so I was excited during the unboxing to see that the model was put together pretty well. The most impressive being the dual spring shocks and the general damping quality and feel. 

I have made a few mods these being stickers, spot lights and white bead locks with mudslingers on them. 

Ok ok let's get to the nitty gritty of how it runs. The majority of run time has been along side an scx10ii. I had a feeling the hpi would get munched and let's start with the bad things first. Ground clearance, I have found it to be the biggest hurdle with this truck. So much as I think my outback was almost the same if not a bit better. The scx absolutely trounces it in this respect. 

The sterring servo isn't great. It often tends to freeze right in the middle of a tricky section when your stationary. This will be upgraded. 

The good bits. It's a good weight 2.4kg and feels sturdy. It climbs real well and monsters up slopes with ease. It tends to deal with sideways slopes really well and really has to be pushed before it rolls. I have really gone to town putting this thing through it's paces. Big inclines, rocks, sand, clay, mud, very deep puddles. 

I have actually been very surprised at how good it is for a ready run and it most cases I cannot fault it. 

Vs the sxc10ii I would say most of the time the scx is a slightly more capable sturdy rig  but not by much. There have been instances where the very heavily modified and heavy scx10ii 3.1kg at last weigh in hasn't been able to match the hpi and in general they both have different strengths and weaknesses. This makes for a great crawling companion because most of the time you have to use completely different skills to get both trucks over the same terrain. 

My other gripe is that there appears to me no upgrades for the hpi yet but here's hopping. 

Would I recommend this model. Definitely. It is seriously capable and a very good ready to run. 

Here are some

pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158396815@N04/shares/726b7K

Edited by TerryV34
Add link for pics
  • Like 1

I'd second those opinions. Esp those indicating the scx's basic superiority haha. Only kidding.

These are quite dissimilar trucks within the genre, with the scx appearing to be slightly bigger in most respects with the frisky pup (hpi) determined to show the mature hound some new tricks.

For its size I was surprised how heavy the Venture is considering how little of it there is. Clearly some serious chassis rails and a fair amount of metal parts lie within.

It is indeed a great companion, with the 35T 2.4kg Venture bounding around the 55T powered 3ish kg SCXii..

I'd be curious how they compared with similar motor specs, but why bother?

They are great fun and provoke a lot of friendly rivalry and genuine interest with their different characteristics.

Oh and it tumbles well.

Highly recommended esp at the moment because they're different. Do you really need a Jeep derivative? No.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I would possibly hold off until there is some parts and hop-ups back up.

having seen these running at the last scale nationals and having one in hand (franks from hpi) I have to say there is a few neat tricks on these.

bodyshell stinks royally! 

But if the rumours are true, might have to have a punt, but seems we are getting a selection of decent scale trucks to choose from, this is where some companies fall foul.

different licensed shells, wheels and tyres are becoming a important factor on making a decision and for me, jeep is a no go.....