• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Got my Carisma SCA-1E

peter2117

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, i finaly got round to change all of the bearings (including the 2 in gearbox) and man, what a difference it makes. So much smoother and quiter. I was suprised at how much some of tbe bushings have worn over such a short period of time and only a few hours of drive time though. Anyway it is well worth it to change for bearings and having a piece of mind that its all sorted. :good:

• Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 11:47, Wabom1981 said:

Have you got the dimensions for the bearings in the gearbox please peter?

my manual is in the loft :boredlook:

Sorry for late reply mate. You will need the following 12 bearings 5x10x4 and 4 bearings 10x15x4 :good:

• Like 1

On 10/12/2017 at 17:22, Wabom1981 said:

Thought I’d share my most recent video, newly built stainless steering links, new ropes and some boom racing suspension fitted. 

Grat video mate. She looks good. 

Did you made the steering link yourself? 

I bought an aluminium one which arrived today. 

Thanks peter, yeah made them myself with marine grade stainless steel rod and rc4wd rod ends. 

Truth be told they were a right pain in the butt as I had to cut the threads myself without a bench vice told hold them. 

Turned out ok though. 

Which ones did you go for??

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I've come here looking for advice please. Particularly from Wabom but from anyone else who owns either of the two cars I'm interested in?

Let me start by saying, I owned a couple of Tamiyas in the 80s when I was a kid but since then, there's been a long long gap of RC ownership. I understand, things have moved on somewhat ?. Now we come to the present day. I'm now a  40+ year old man whose son has asked for an RC offroader with rechargable batteries from Father Christmas! Now let me explain, up until now, my son has had a couple of those crappy kiddy RCs that use AAs and work to a certain extent but.... Are not up to much, really. The last one he had was a £25 reduced rock crawler which got him interested in the idea of taking things slowly and controlling the car over mixed terrain, rather than a point and squirt type machine.

So we come to now. My son doesn't ask for much, he's a good boy and he isn't spoilt. This Christmas, I want to get him something special. So, I did some research and eventually came across this forum, and this thread.....and you guys.

It comes down to this: FTX Outback vs. Carisma Coyote.

I do realise there's circa a £70 price difference between the two trucks, so it's not exactly a fair comparison. And, I do realise both these trucks are aimed primarily at Adults and Teens, not at children. But, I would like to get a truck that my son could grow into so to speak. I haven't got unlimited funds, this truck will need to last. It will have to be something my son grows into and has potential for improvements. I will have to maintain it and make improvements along the way with my young son (I'm pretty handy and can follow instructions and use a screwdriver!?).

We ask for this: superb ability off road, reasonably strong parts that are available to replace if needs be, options for lithium battery, drag break, looks. We like the looks of both Trucks to be sure, all three Outbacks are cool, but the Coyote wins in terms of detail of the shell and sheer awesome looks!

So, it's the FTX Outback version 2 at £160, with eventually a separate ESC for drag break (Hobbywing 1060) and servo adding another £40 or the Coyote as is at £229?

Now Wabom, you own both, and I noticed you made a comment about how in some ways, you prefer the Outback in some situations over the Coyote.

Is the Coyote worth £70 over the Outback in your opinion? Obviously, I would like to save money as much as possible, but I want something for my son and ( let's face it!) Me, that we can work on and grow with and will allow us options in the future??

• Like 2

Evening @Shovon let’s see if I can be of some help? 

Its probably best for me to start by mentioning that I’m no expert in this area of RC having only been hitting the trails and rocks for around 18mths but will hopefully be of some use to you. 

I have the MK1 outback which has taken a fair amount of modification to get to a stage that I was happy with. The 3 bodies on the original outbacks look good from a distance but really do lack detail (if scale looks is part of what you want?) I ended up fitting a vintage tamiya body to mine. 

The MK2 outback appears to have had many of the mods carried out that us owners made to the MK1, metal steering links, out boarded shocks, wider stance. 

But I haven’t had any experience of the latest incarnation so couldn’t give you a real world opinion if I’m honest. I do like what they have done though and they have slightly stepped up they’re game with the new ranger body.

Should you want to upgrade the ESC on the outback you would also need to install new radio gear as FTX use a combined ESC and receiver unit, so that is another future expense to consider. Replacing these on my MK1 really did transform the driving experience. 

Now, the Carisma Coyote......    

im a little bit in love with this truck! 

Im sure you have been doing plenty of research into these trucks so you don’t need me to tell you how good looking it is!

when I was looking to get one, the point that stuck out for me was the Recon G6 certification it has recieved. 

A stock model was unboxed fitted with a lipo battery and driven for 12 hours on an off-road course/trail. No breakages I believe. (Pretty good example of how robust it is)

I have made some changes to mine as you may have seen, steering links, front shock brace, changed the radio system, wheels and tyres, shocks. 

These mods are down to personal preference and to achieve a look I’m going for. The stock parts and setup is perfectly okay. 

I’m soon to upgrade my coyotes ESC to a fully programmable unit to have more control over drag brake, punch etc etc. 

Nothing wrong with the stock speed controller really, I find the drag brake a tad aggressive in my opinion. 

So how do I sum them up?

Bearing in mind I Have no experience with an actual MK2 outback but my MK1 is modified to a similar standard.......

i prefer the coyote!

that said, I do sometimes miss the shorter wheelbase of the outback in certain situations. 

I think the coyote offers better value for money, better quality parts as standard. 

Both can be run on lipo batteries. 

I only use 7.2v 6 cell packs in my trucks, haven’t felt the need to move onto lipo yet. 

Thinking towards the future you will probably want to consider upgrading the standard battery and getting a fast charger. 

Im sure that there will be plenty of upgrade parts available in the future for the carisma but it’s fairly new to the market at this stage. 

There is a YouTube channel called aceofaxerc and the chap on there is the carisma team driver, he has some decent videos about the coyote that may be of use to you?

i do hope I have been of some help to you?

if you have any more specific questions on these trucks fire away, will do my best to answer them. 

Cheers

Adam. 

Edited by Wabom1981
  • Like 1

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. 

I'm still trying to make up my mind on the purchase. I can't find any reviews on the updated V2 Outbacks to see how they fair given the upgrades but understand where you're coming from when you advise that your upgraded V1 is virtually the same.

So if I wanted a drag break on the Outback, I'm looking at a minimum at buying the Hobbywing 1060 which only offers a 100% drag right? This, I can buy for around £17 but then I'd need another receiver (can you advise me on a cheap one to get that is suitable and approx how much that would be please?) I'd need a servo too right? (any suggestions?) Is there anything else I would need? If it comes down to it and the upgrade cost is nearing £200 for the truck and all upgrades, I might as well buy the Coyote.

My downfall might be the fact that I can't seem to find any Coyotes for purchase in the UK in time for Christmas! So I might end up getting the Outback anyway. I'm sure it wouldn't be the worst truck to end up with!

Thanks for your help so far. I'll be sure to pop in and ask you for more advice, no doubt!

Shovon

If I can butt in with my 2p worth.

My local place has the Coyote showing in stock on their website.

https://www.modelmaniacs.co.uk/cars-vehicles/cars-trucks-ep/cars-trucks-ready-to-run/carisma-scale-adventure-sca-1e-coyote-rtr-ca77768

Also have you considered the ECX Barrage? An FTX Outback under a different name, but comes with a separate Receiver and ESC as standard. So upgrading the ESC does not mean more expense on new RC gear.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/storefronts/water-resistant-cars-and-trucks/ecx-brand/19-4wd-barrage-brushed--rtr-ecx01009

There is also an updated version that includes the features of the V2 Outback which comes in kit form if you fancy building it with your son.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/storefronts/electric-cars-and-trucks/ecx-brand/1-12-19-4wd-barrage-brushed--kit-p-ecx01011

or a horrible looking RTR version https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/storefronts/electric-cars-and-trucks/ecx-brand/1-12-19-4wd-barrage-doomsday-brushed--rtr-p-ecx01010

If the look of the barrage does not suit then any of the Outback bodies would fit.

If it were me I'd go the Barrage Kit route as you get the added fun of building the thing which will get you familiar with it for maintenance etc..

Youtube review of the kit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb4ZYBtdAhY

Anyway, just a few more options.

Graham

Edited by Geehawk

2 hours ago, andrwassht said:

Hi all, had my carisma a few weeks now. I thought the gear box had all bb's but read above it has two bushes?

IMG_1473.JPG

Good looking truck mate :good:

Thats what i thought about the transmission till i opened it up. The 2 bushings are on the idler gear. Its a quick and easy job to swap out :good:

42 minutes ago, peter2117 said:

Good looking truck mate :good:

Thats what i thought about the transmission till i opened it up. The 2 bushings are on the idler gear. Its a quick and easy job to swap out :good:

Do you reckon it could be those bushings in the transmission that’s giving me a clicking during use??

got a full set of bearings on order. 

49 minutes ago, Wabom1981 said:

Do you reckon it could be those bushings in the transmission that’s giving me a clicking during use??

got a full set of bearings on order. 

Defo not the bushings mate. The clicking sound as far as i can tell through process of elimination comes from rear driveshaft due to the angle that its at when the truck is in full lift. If you weight it down a bit or loosen the tension in the springs to let the truck go a bit lower on suspension the clicking sound vanishes (at least on mine) :good:

I think that all it will need to fix this are 6 mm spacers on top rear links to get less of an angle on the driveshaft. 

• Like 1