• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Candy Green Grasshopper. build

johninderby

Recently picked up one of the now hard to find Tamiya Candy Green Grasshopper kits before they're all gone. Old school primitive you might call it but still like it. Will look nice sitting on a shelf. :thumbsup:

Will be mostly stock with a Tamiya Sport Tuned 540 motor, Quicrun 1060 ESC and a set of purpose made Grasshopper alloy oil shocks that will fit with no mods whatsoever. 

John

IMG_1356.jpg

• Like 1

Will be very cool on a shelf mate. Its the first candy tami ive seen. Im looking forward to see the shocks. 

I had to laugh at tamiyas spider gears tho lol. Tamiyas ability to pull you back 30yrs is unbeatable. 

Looking good so far, keep em coming :D

I'd be interested to know where the shocks came from. I managed to decipher the part number from a pic in "what the post bought me thread" and punched it into the web but nothing came up?

The shocks are available from a few Chinese sellers but I bought these. Took about 10 days to come. They're not heavy duty shocks by any means but seem well made.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-4pcs-Aluminum-Oil-Dampers-Shocks-for-TAMIYA-Hornet-Grasshopper/281061157280?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Servo, front suspension and shocks.

Servo just fastened in place with two screws from underneath and kit steering links used. Very basic front suspension only took a couple of minutes to fit. The alloy oil shocks fitted into the stock mounts perfectly. Only difference was the upper shock mount where E-clips were used.

John

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

Edited by johninderby

Can't believe how basic it is :D looking good though, assembly of wheels are far more interesting than just wrestling with a pair of tyres.

Just wondering, iff the pre painted green on the shell is available in a spray can for repairs iff needed?

• 2 months later...