• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Berserker

babylon

9 minutes ago, WiLLiE said:

Have you used the guards on one of these chassis , and do they make a good fit with the body shell on ?.

Not yet - mines on route - I shall offer up some guards I have first before purchasing some - I like to use HN ones as many have a mud guard built into the front - grest for keeping crud out thrown from the front wheels - sometimes need modding with the dremel to suit (battery trays / servo arm throw etc).  At the end of the day so long as they don't affect the shell fitment they've got to be a plus for keeping crud out.

1 minute ago, capri-boy said:

Not yet - mines on route - I shall offer up some guards I have first before purchasing some - I like to use HN ones as many have a mud guard built into the front - grest for keeping crud out thrown from the front wheels - sometimes need modding with the dremel to suit (battery trays / servo arm throw etc).  At the end of the day so long as they don't affect the shell fitment they've got to be a plus for keeping crud out.

Yes same here on it’s way , keep us all updated on the guards , found them at £5.70 from China delivered , if the hn ones are a better fit then a part number would be good when you have had time to try things out .

Never thought I would ever see this much excitement for the Berserker,  What would be good is that those that have picked one up have a good experience with it, Showing that you don't have to always spend silly money to get a good kit,  And maybe we can stop making judgements on kits or RTR based on hearsay and the odd 1 or 2 negative reviews and give more cars a chance.

Right sure Im not the first to do this, but for the benefit of the forum Ill go fairly detailed. Most of you know my previous experience with R/C so it will be interesting to see how this compares.

First off. I am a self confessed brand snob. Especially with radio gear and servos.... However I had to concede there was no point me paying £300 for a Futaba set up for a £101 Truck. Ive had very good luck with Turnigy Lipos and black can motors, which are fractions of the brand named stuff, so I thought Id go all out budget...... I'm probably going to be intentionally, somewhat unfairly harsh I believe. I intended this tying me over a month or so before I go for a brand £600-900 truck.... 

So far including the charger and some tools, Im still sub £300.... Thats ridiculous for a 1/8th truck

This came today

9se5qk1.jpg

To go with the motor and Charger I already had

Motor 4084 1650kv:

1jyX1CS.jpg

80w Charger:

cResK0p.jpg

Hobbyking 15kg servo. Very impressed with this if Im honest. Reviews are good and it feels decent quality for £13.

e7yhiM4.jpg

The radio gear. I wanted to hate this. I nearly ordered a Futaba before this even came. This cost less than £16. That includes the TX/RX a Lipo for the TX and a Charger (USB). For less than £16. Quite frankly, thats absolutely ridiculous!!! I cannot get my head round that! It looked pretty tacky in the photo, but in the flesh its not too bad. Id prefer no orange sticker. It has D/R too. It feels pretty good to hold. Im EXTREMELY impressed with this for the money. Time will tell how it performs mind. Seriously, Im shocked. Ive paid £16 for a Lipo for my Futaba TX in the past...

osHCaMp.jpg

Lipo. 4s 5000mah 20c. £18. Probably under spec on paper. I ran my Xmaxx V2 on a pair of these no worries so Im sure it'll be ok

ro7z6iM.jpg

The ESC is not here yet, just a trust Quicrun 150a

Lets bear in mind Ive had Alot of R/Cs. And Im a brand snob. However, my last brand new R/C was very similar to this. A Hobao SSTe. I paid £250 for the roller, compared to £101 to this. I remember being utterly underwhelmed when I opened the Hobao.... So how about this, at about 40% of the price....

First of all. The instructions. Short, but full colour and well printed. Looking good so far

kBzZDB2.jpg

Bodyshell. Well finished. Has a protective case which makes it appear matt in the photo. Its a strange shape, VERY high on the sides. Quite thin, but Truggy shells get battered. It comes without stickers, but the stickers are pre cut which is a nice touch. I also like the aluminium body post washers. to stop the pin pulling through. We are doing ok here...

xBnVQRF.jpg

Spares/Tools/Misc. Comes with a complete optional 6s Centre diff, a sway bar kit and a pair of pinions for 4s/6s. Come on. Thats insane! On a Losi for example, those parts alone would probably cost more than the kits cost....

3was97C.jpg

Wheels and Tyres. I heard they were terrible. They are a real let down. The moulding is poor on the wheels. Theres marks, they look stressed already. They feel brittle. The feel matt in areas and glossy in others. Tyres don't seem too bad actually, and they're glued well, cant really judge them until I use it. They're probably slightly worse than the one on my Hyper Site, which lasted two runs. I did know this, but you must consider a set of top end Proline Badlands cost £84.... thats 80% of what the kit cost!

Gf72T7Y.jpg

The chassis. Jesus. IM EXTREMELY impressed. There is Carbon fibre and alloy every where. This really does have the LOOK of a £500+ race kit. Alloy Chassis Braces, Thick CNC towers. The A-Arms etc look very thick. CVD's all round IF I remember rightly. The motor mount is thick allot, an is a sort of cam style twist mount. This genuinely looks the part. I do not feel how I felt when I opened my Hobao SSte, more like the feeling when I finished building me RB ONE R, which would've been a £500 buggy at some point. Im genuinely impressed so far. Criticisms? The hardware doesn't seem top notch, Ive only unscrewed the motor mount a a few times and I can see a little wear on the screw. Also, the countersinking on the chassis isn't perfect. Its not a million miles out, but you can catch your hand on some of the screws underneath which could prove an issue. If Im nit picking, the plastics used on the none important things (like the RX Box, Battery Tray, ESC mount etc doesn't look the same quality as the rest of the plastics, but if they're going to skimp id rather them do that here than on the A-arms. Theres a touch of play in the rear wheels, but nothing Ive not seen on pretty much every R/C. Im confident it'll shim out. It rolls smoothly, even when meshed with a powerful motor. I appreciate shocks are all about performance but they feel (and look) very nice and plush. It genuinely doesn't feel like a £101 truck. IF my Hobao was going rate @ £250, this is worth £300 easily BASED ON LOOKS AND INITIAL IMPRESSIONS. 

G6FCEG0.jpg

250YQJD.jpg

1jzkXSS.jpg

gXfwHNw.jpg

You can sort of see the plastic contrast here. The A-arms look brilliant quality, as does the Carbon and the aluminium. Then there is a noticeable drop in quality around the servo mount. AS I say the plastics here are miles better than on the similar area on my Hobao

1y1yAQ7.jpg

Edited by Guns
  • Like 1

I've put what I could in:

The motor:

aJwxSGH.jpg

Servo and RX:

T7sBrb8.jpg

Awaiting ESC, Servo Horn, Servo tape and some soldering

FPUJ5qc.jpg

cDL4HiI.jpg

As I say, Initial impressions of everything bar the wheels and tyres are incredible. Im over the moon. That could all change when I run it and everything breaks. I looked at doing a major parts order from Hong Kong earlier. I got all the major parts. A Spare chassis, shock towers, all CVD's a diff, shock shafts, a-arms. It wouldve been £60 delivery, thats about the cost of an alloy chassis on an equivalent Truggy... That said, I paid £100 for everything so Im going to pray they come up again.

If it performs and is durable, I can see me upgrading a little, and maybe not bothering with a UDR/E-Revo/Arrma.....

Edited by Guns
  • Like 1

Glad to see you are happy so far mate.

I had the same feelings when opening the Berserker for the first time. At the price it is your expectations aren’t too high but once you are hands on with it it’s a really pleasant suprise!

enjoy!

Dan

Told ya.

In all seriousness, That lipo is great, I have had the 2 cell versions for years, Used them in everything from a Savage to a Hong Nor CRT, You can stick all your C rating were the sun, You know what I'm saying, Never gave me any trouble at all, To the point I'm gonna pick up some more being as there only £15.55 a pack at the moment.

6 minutes ago, babylon said:

Told ya.

In all seriousness, That lipo is great, I have had the 2 cell versions for years, Used them in everything from a Savage to a Hong Nor CRT, You can stick all your C rating were the sun, You know what I'm saying, Never gave me any trouble at all, To the point I'm gonna pick up some more being as there only £15.55 a pack at the moment.

Im waiting before buying more 4s packs, i wanna try 6s though haha

May as well ask here. What diff oils do you all suggest? And any links to decent wheels/tyres? Id rather not buy Badlands again..

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/119316/ ouch

Edited by Guns

Supposedly one of the upgrades to this upgraded V2 edition is the diff oil already, Which should be 100,000 in the front and back, And 300,000 in the centre, So run it first before worrying about changing the diff oil.  

And why would you want to wast your time going 6s, Unless it's a Buggy your gonna spend all you time trying to keep it under control and the front wheels on the ground, You can get 2 4s packs for the price of 1 6s, Go for the the 2 4s and be done with it, Only once or twice have I gone 6s, And swapped it out before it's even half flat, Gets boring pretty quick.

27 minutes ago, Guns said:

Im waiting before buying more 4s packs, i wanna try 6s though haha

May as well ask here. What diff oils do you all suggest? And any links to decent wheels/tyres? Id rather not buy Badlands again..

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/119316/ ouch

Louise soft/super soft perhaps.

Well, when not on backorder :rolleyes:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?q=louise

I want one now :doh:

Should've sold a Trophy Truggy off ages ago.

Edited by dazp1976

7 hours ago, babylon said:

Supposedly one of the upgrades to this upgraded V2 edition is the diff oil already, Which should be 100,000 in the front and back, And 300,000 in the centre, So run it first before worrying about changing the diff oil.  

And why would you want to wast your time going 6s, Unless it's a Buggy your gonna spend all you time trying to keep it under control and the front wheels on the ground, You can get 2 4s packs for the price of 1 6s, Go for the the 2 4s and be done with it, Only once or twice have I gone 6s, And swapped it out before it's even half flat, Gets boring pretty quick.

Admitedly Ive not ran it yet, but I cant see how its going to be quick enough for me with a 1650kv motor on 4s. Hoping to be proved wrong. I used to run 6s in my Vorza and that was a 2200kv motor. I usually go for a 2350-2650 for 4s. Just hoping the torque of the 82mm can will pull it through. We will see

7 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Louise soft/super soft perhaps.

Well, when not on backorder :rolleyes:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?q=louise

I want one now :doh:

Should've sold a Trophy Truggy off ages ago.

Yes daz they never seem to come in stock when you need them , this is a pic of the berserker and a trophy truggy together , like guns write up about it and would concur with it , the shell is a bit weak on the sides and with no side guards my concern is will it get full of crud .

qJr5BdO.jpg

Well, On the RTR 1450 KV it is very quick on 4s, Thing is, If your gonna run it in the middle of an empty football pitch then it's gonna look slower than running it on a BMX track or something like that, Maybe having a so called Buggy gear set works in it's favour, 4s seems perfectly fast enough. 

Looks good that, but there's something about that shell that I really don't like - it just doesn't look right dimension wise? Maybe it'll look better once it's mounted up! But regardless, minor complaint for the dollar spent!

1 minute ago, James1986 said:

Looks good that, but there's something about that shell that I really don't like - it just doesn't look right dimension wise? Maybe it'll look better once it's mounted up! But regardless, minor complaint for the dollar spent!

The side profile is probably double the height of every other truggy shell. Its very slab sided

Yer, The wheels and the body make it look shorter than the average truggy, But it's not, I've got Thunder Tiger wheels on my Muggy which I love.

20170629_163006_1.jpg

Need to get another set, Just think there a great all around bashing wheel.

20 minutes ago, babylon said:

Yer, The wheels and the body make it look shorter than the average truggy, But it's not, I've got Thunder Tiger wheels on my Muggy which I love.

20170629_163006_1.jpg

Do you run them tyres backwards on purpose?

1 hour ago, babylon said:

20170629_163006_1.jpg

I can't control wheelies at speed with those tyres on my truggy but that's on a 6s one :lol:

They are pretty good off road though.

2 minutes ago, WiLLiE said:

Front mounting posts fit perfect and rear are forward and in on the body .

I assume the Berserkers body mounts are height adjustable?  Trophy one sits a little high.

If it fits right I'd be inclined to drop the posts down a bit and trim the bottom of the berserker body.

5 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

I assume the Berserkers body mounts are height adjustable?  Trophy one sits a little high.

If it fits right I'd be inclined to drop the posts down a bit and trim the bottom of the berserker body.

Yes daz your correct , I was just messing with the body posts and original body , looks better and if I could find some side guards to fit then you could change the shape of the wheel arches to make it look a lot better .

so dropping the body height and trimming the body would make better look in my eyes :@.@:.

Edited by WiLLiE

1 minute ago, WiLLiE said:

Yes daz your correct , I was just messing with the body posts and original body , looks better and if I could find some side guards to fit then you could change the shape of the wheel arches to make it look a lot better .

so dropping the body height and trimming the body would make better look in my eyes :@.@:.

Also.

You know. When they're not on backorder I'm going to get a set of the shock springs.

The suspension geometry looks much better than on my D8T/Trophy bodge. Much more lay down. Might improve it no end and I have a set of shocks the right length Hmmmmmmmmm.

Of my 2 where the shocks are concerned. One is more upright and just lifts all the time, the other is stock (more lay down) and stays planted. Amazing how different angles make a HUGE difference.

Now I REALLY wish I'd got one :crybaby: