• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ECX Barrage / FTX Outback question.

For my third RC I'm planning on getting one or the other but I have 1 question.

With it's light weight, and 'puny' motor, are they capable of towing a trailer weighing up to 0.75kg? Just over grass, gentle slope up on the return journey.

If not is there any way of improving the pulling power?

Failing that, any other 'scale' models that would have the grunt, but not cost too much more?

Hmm. Thats 3 questions. :lol:

Wouldn't bother changing the motor as you'd then get into new axles and driveshafts etc.

You might consider one of the Tamiya CC-01s. They start at about the same price as the Outback.They aren't as good at crawling as an Outback and are more of a trail runner. They are the same chassis but have a number of different bodies available. Easy to fit a high torque motor for pulling. Tyres would need changing for something with more grip.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

You could consider fitting a pinion with less teeth, that provides more torque, and they can do with slowing down anyway,.  From the box they can pull wheelies, especially if you use lipo. I now have 2 outbacks and i also own a cc01 pajero,. The outback model is far superior across rough ground.   They give my scx a good run for its money.

Just came across this video.

I realise the trailer is light, but the terrain is far more than I need to traverse (and towing duties would be infrequent), so I might just give it a go. After all what's the worse that can happen ?? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided on a Barrage (due mainly to the electronics) and had one in my MS basket yesterday but life got in the way before I could checkout.

Today they don't even list them. Sent a query and got this reply

"With regret due to our supplier's decision to sell direct to the public means we will no longer be stocking Horizon Hobby products. So unfortunately once our stock is sold out we won't be getting any more"

Anyone have any ideas where to get a Barrage at a good price from a decent retailer. I've only ever bought from MS and have got used to their (IMO) superb customer service.

Edited by Geehawk

And arrived about an hour ago via DPD, even though I chose the Free, 4 day service. So far I can't fault Wheelspin's service.

Impressed so far. Out of the box it tackled and cleared a short rock course in my garden that my bog standard Scout faired no better on.