• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Making Bixlers Go Quicker

I've already admitted it, I have a weird fixation with Bixler 1.1's! 

However, I also want more speed so I'm actively searching for ways to over-stress the airframe and ask of it what it was never designed to suffer.

I might already have mentioned clipping a previous Bix's wings and the improvement that gave, well my twisted logic jumped straight to........................ double the motors = (+/-) double the speed.

Nope, but it has been fun trying! After finding some motor mounts on RC Groups and getting them printed via fleabay, I set about crashing a plane to justify the project.

Not quite that stupid, I chose one of the x3 Bix wrecks currently in rehab. So from this:

RIP%20Bix%205.jpg

To this:

The%20Bix%20Lives%20Again%202.jpg

The%20Bix%20Lives%20Again%203.jpg

The%20Bix%20Lives%20Again%201.jpg

Everything I build gets LED's these days.........

The%20Bix%20Lives%20Again%204.jpg

The wiring inside looks like a spaghetti fight, god only knows what rf interference must be created in flight, on top of the usual wires I have 12v LED's throughout, a 6v BEC feed for rx & fpv gear and all associated esc/battery wires x2 (lengthened). At the moment it's running 2 x factory Bix 1.1 motors thru separate turnigy plush 30a esc's but I'm already wishing I'd used some turnigy 2200's instead. I'll definitely scale up when the stock motors burn. I could do with filtering the FPV power really but it's okay as is.

As I hate packing up before dusk, I gave it a few yards of HK LED's (inside for ease) to extend play time at night. I'm finally starting to concentrate on connectors these days. I now pretty much have it so all FPV and power options are universal. I have leads that have 1 or more black t connectors tapped into the main power between battery and esc. Into those I can plug splitters for LED's/FPV or I connect a BEC to run lower power options (inc rx). Definitely wise to plan everything out before trying to put it all together. The next Bix will probably use the same basic template so handy it's all saved on the laptop.

For this one I embedded a camera right in the nose, next to a flashing LED, I won't need both at once! After checking 3 times that the camera was all good, I glued it in proper, more glue than sense. Later I found my quanum's were in the glove upside down so now all I get is aussie video. I presume if I post to some aussie forums they will see the video correctly, instead of upside down like us? It's amazing how quickly your genius idea can turn to %$£"

Flying video is, well, too lame to post. Static (turnigy 2k on my chest) camera missed most of it and with the onboard camera recording upside down, you'll have to trust me it flies great. Loads more power over standard but room for more I reckon. Flies nicely on 3s but even sweeter on 4s. How long the factory motors will last on 4s is anyone's guess but they do give the battery a kicking, enough to worry me how warm it got.

On the whole, a slight PITA to build but still good fun. Flying it makes it all worth it and making me wonder what I can do to a Bix next to get more out of it. Currently, I have 64mm EDF gear bookmarked. I'm wondering what a Bix would fly like if I can sort the CoG out for twin EDF's.................................:doh:

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, evssv said:

awesome before/after dude.....:good:....so is it like the before pic again now?:lol:?

Happily no! However I've started to get electrical gremlins with motors giving up. Had the same problem with 3 different motors (Inc my P2K) where they judder and wont spin up. Tried numerous esc's and all the same issue. Then they suddenly starting working fine. Except the P2K which set on fire. Waiting for payday then buying new motors then it's going back in the air!

awesome to try these things out lol!! :P sounds like loads of fun, might try something like this on my MX2 foamie, just tired of constant repair bills on helis!!

have you tried an uprated BEC at all?

Foam is brilliant for experimenting, keep the basic shape and wing profile, just try not to overpower it. I am going to push the limits on a bixler frame tho..........

The BEC is only powering the servos and led's, it runs a splitter from the battery into individual 30a esc's for each motor, red wires disconnected. Left motor fine, no issues, right motor suddenly went clunk and stopped working. Having taken it off the plane, I can now get it to spin up but I'm going to replace it anyway, see if that solves the issue.

Tried a heli not so long ago, ended up a mix of destroyed in seconds and does it blend! Blinking dangerous things in my opinion! :D