• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hi, totally new and clueless...

TheTwig

Hi, I'm dad to a nine year old who is interested in moving on from lego and into something a bit more exciting. We've never tried this before.

We haven't a clue where to start, so I thought here is as good a place as any. I'm hoping to pick up tips on an ideal electric starter vehicle we can build together and run, possibly upgrade and fix if it breaks, after far too many fatal crashes with cheaper 'toy' remote cars have proved what a waste of money (and too slow!) they can be.

He prefers road-going super cars like ferrari/lambo and we're thinking no bigger than 1/10 scale and sub-£200 all in to begin with. No aspirations to race or anything, we'll just go where it takes us. I'm looking forward to learning the best way forward is and mostly, getting my son away from computer and tv screens!

Hi and welcome to MSUK

I'd go for something from Tamiya personally. They are a great beginner car, come as kits so you and your son can build it together and as you and him progress with it, you can upgrade it to make it faster etc

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-nsx-2016-tt-02/rc-car-products/404141

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-laferrari-tt-02-/rc-car-products/379577

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-porsche-911-carrera-rsr-tt-02/rc-car-products/379576

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-ferrari-458-challenge-tt-02-/rc-car-products/373939

These are all the same car (chassis) but with the super car look you were after. You would get one up and running easily with your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Daveyb84, I can see one those being a hit.

I appreciate the recommendation - with my ignorance you can't be sure if you're looking at something cheap and nasty or actual good value.

It's just to go hacking around sainsburys car park with, and if it goes well we'll get a second one so we can race each other. First things first though...

Cheers, Andy

Might want to upgrade as its being built if they still dont have bearings and stuff you'd expect. 

Do you have plenty of smooth roads for on road to play around. 

rougher roads act like a cheese grater to plastic chassis cars. i had a hpi sprint 2 flux and after one run the under chassis was scuffed up badly. vynal sticker sheet can work as a protector. 

Off road is better theres more choice for models and running areas. jumps ect. 

Jumping an on road look like a wonky dart lol. 

I'd say the same as Davey. Get s Tamiya kit. Build it with your son ( comes with a full manual, easy to do ) but you'll also learn about the parts and when one breaks ( it will ) you'll know how to fix it. I didn't get a tamiya kit till my 3rd RC so, fixing them in the beginning was a pain.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Thanks RCbutcher - that is a big concern about the roads, and I've tried to steer my son towards something that can handle rougher ground, but he knows what he likes, although he knows very little ;) . I blame Forza Horizon 3 for letting him thrash about the countryside in a Lamborghini with the damage turned off!! 

I might have to work on him... If there was a capable off-roader with a more conventional body shell but better clearance that we could leave the stickers off and paint a classy colour then I would hope that might do the job and would give us so many more options for where and how to run it. That could be quite cool, so long as there was enough of a body to paint (just to be awkward, he doesn't like subarus)

He wants to do all the fun stuff, he just doesn't like the look of the stickered-up rally cars and buggies.

I'd say the same as Davey. Get s Tamiya kit. Build it with your son ( comes with a full manual, easy to do ) but you'll also learn about the parts and when one breaks ( it will ) you'll know how to fix it. I didn't get a tamiya kit till my 3rd RC so, fixing them in the beginning was a pain.

• Like 1

Game Change.

My son was talking to his pal from up the street and it transpires he has an RC car already but hasn't used it for ages. He showed him it after school, which is the first proper big fast RC car he's seen - and so now of course he WANTS ONE OF THOSE!!!

To my relief, it seems to be a buggy type car, which will be so much better for us to try and break.

Typical that I spend weeks trying to talk him round and his mate does it in minutes. I intend to strike while I've got him on side.

He still doesn't want stickers tho, but agrees the car is awesome.

So, thanks for the advice so far, I'll now do some investigating in the other forums to find out the way from here

cheers!

Game Change.
My son was talking to his pal from up the street and it transpires he has an RC car already but hasn't used it for ages. He showed him it after school, which is the first proper big fast RC car he's seen - and so now of course he WANTS ONE OF THOSE!!!
To my relief, it seems to be a buggy type car, which will be so much better for us to try and break.
Typical that I spend weeks trying to talk him round and his mate does it in minutes. I intend to strike while I've got him on side.
He still doesn't want stickers tho, but agrees the car is awesome.

So, thanks for the advice so far, I'll now do some investigating in the other forums to find out the way from here
cheers!

Good thing about hobby grade RCs, you can buy clear replacement shells to spray any colour you want. And less the stickers.

Mine came with a green and yellow shell. Now it's just all black with 1 sticker on each side which I sprayed and put on.

On the left.

a94866d1fa5fef20adce886fb05f6f3e.jpg

• Like 1