• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1.4 or 1.8 civic

vrs55

Hello was looking for some advice do any of you guys own a honda civic in 1.4 or 1.8 I currently own a mk1 soda fabia vrs which I have owned for the past 9 years I am looking at getting a petrol civic as only do about 3600 miles per year and with modern diesels having dpf filters would probably get trouble so my question is would you go for 1.4 or 1.8 the 1.4 looks underpowered on paper 

If you've a Fabia VRS, then I'd have a test drive of both.

I have an 8G 2.2 DERV which I'm not keen to part with - fantastic car - sharp looking, great design features (and annoying faults - rear suspension and lack of wiper).

Mine flies and is economical - that latter they made better in the 9G.

My guess is the 1.4 will be very comfortable but anaemic on an open road - country or motorway - particularly where hills are involved.

The 1.8 is finally starting to fall behind in emissions but has been one of the best for a long time.

Try both of them if you can - also take a look at CIVINFO forum - great info there.

Al.

9G.

Check out CIVINFO - they'll have loads of info.

Take a test drive - 1.4 may not be as slow as suspected.

I do think 1.8 is a better compromise - power, speed, economy ... if asked but I don't own either.

Al.

6 hours ago, atom3624 said:

9G.

Check out CIVINFO - they'll have loads of info.

Take a test drive - 1.4 may not be as slow as suspected.

I do think 1.8 is a better compromise - power, speed, economy ... if asked but I don't own either.

Al.

Thanks I will have a look

5 hours ago, bombercountynick said:

certainly wouldn't opt for a 1400 petrol in one of the newer shape civics. I'd go for the 1800 bit more grunt to pull the weight but personally I'd have the diesel 

Yes I am leaning towards the 1.8 yes the diesel would be great but with me doing only 3600 miles a year a modern diesel would probably give me trouble with the dpf will be buying a 3 to 4 year old civic and looking at keeping for at least 8 years