• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First ever use of FTX Outback, vs Ford Bronco scale crawler... and the FTX suffered a technical failure!

PraetoR

Nice vid. :thumbsup:

Yes dump the all in one ESC/RX. I replaced mine with a Quicrun 1060 and Spektrum surface stick radio (now unfortunately discontinued) which does give better slow speed control. On the Barrage they went to a seperate ESC and RX in the first place but went for a much less capable off-road tyre. 

John

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Just something you mentioned in the video, you're probably aware of anyway, but changing to a LiPo generally isn't about the speed gain, it's more about the huge run times you can achieve :) if you didn't know, which you probably did :P

Indeed I did! ;)

Although I was more referring to the extra "urgency" when opening the throttle, vs ni-mh, rather than outright top speed. ^_^

One thing I have found with the various mods I've carried out with the Outback is to keep the overall weight down. It's biggest asset is it's light weight which allows it to perform better than a budget crawler should be able to do. I took the big battery I tried out and replaced it with a Nanotech 2200 mah which suited it much better. Start adding weight and you might as well get an SCX10. :rolleyes:

John

14 hours ago, Praet0r87 said:

Indeed I did! ;)

Although I was more referring to the extra "urgency" when opening the throttle, vs ni-mh, rather than outright top speed. ^_^

A little burst of speed can actually help though... The first bit you got stuck with for example, a tiny flick of the throttle would chuck it straight over first time :P

2 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

A little burst of speed can actually help though... The first bit you got stuck with for example, a tiny flick of the throttle would chuck it straight over first time :P

Very true! Certainly for the lightweight FTX. Maybe Matthew should take that into consideration. :good:

As for my little truck... it's really quite heavy, slow and relies on the weight of the battery over the front wheels. Behaves more like a hard bodied RC4WD, than a lexan bodied Axial SCX10 (but faaaaar inferior to both, don't get me wrong!!). I've spent most of today servicing it, bringing that horrible shudder out of the front end (axle binding). Plus slightly larger wheels/tyres are on the way, which will give just 5mm more clearance for the diff case, but will help, still. ^_^

12 minutes ago, Praet0r87 said:

Very true! Certainly for the lightweight FTX. Maybe Matthew should take that into consideration. :good:

As for my little truck... it's really quite heavy, slow and relies on the weight of the battery over the front wheels. Behaves more like a hard bodied RC4WD, than a lexan bodied Axial SCX10 (but faaaaar inferior to both, don't get me wrong!!). I've spent most of today servicing it, bringing that horrible shudder out of the front end (axle binding). Plus slightly larger wheels/tyres are on the way, which will give just 5mm more clearance for the diff case, but will help, still. ^_^

I was meaning yours chap, the orange one of the two :) my SCX10 used to be very heavy indeed, but that burst of speed helps no end, have to say, I think yours struggled more down to the wrong tyres for the job, based just on that video.

In that kind of terrain, you really need an aggressive tread pattern and a fairly tall tyre.

I'm right in thinking that's the one you made just from your spares box though am I?

Done a damn fine job! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

I was meaning yours chap, the orange one of the two :) my SCX10 used to be very heavy indeed, but that burst of speed helps no end, have to say, I think yours struggled more down to the wrong tyres for the job, based just on that video.

In that kind of terrain, you really need an aggressive tread pattern and a fairly tall tyre.

I'm right in thinking that's the one you made just from your spares box though am I?

Done a damn fine job! :D

Indeed! I am hoping the larger tyres will help, plus I have geared it up, to get a bit more wheel speed. Next time will show if it is any better!... but not the next video I upload, because that was recorded before the changes were made!

These are the wheels/tyres I've gone for... cheapy cheapy, but I think they will help!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Set-5-Spoke-Wheel-Rim-100mm-Tires-for-RC1-10-Off-Road-Climbing-Rock-Crawler-Car-/282094217613?hash=item41ae20298d:g:SOoAAOSwEjFXf3Lz

24 minutes ago, Noj said:

Nice vid, shows how grand the budget crawler is.....new ESC and radio gear will transform it.

One gripe, I feel Matthew's footwear was highly unsuited to the conditions underfoot.

Thank you, sir! Yes, Matthew is, as I've said many a-time before... a twonk!

12 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I guess he doesn't own a pair of wellies then?  :rolleyes:

Anyone have suggestions as to what wellies he should get. Poka dot, flowers or maybe just plain pink?  :P

John

Yes. This. Absolutely, this!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I doubt they will really help, they are a very small tyre... It looks like they're a copy of Mud Thrashers, which also aren't very good in that kind of terrain lol.

Best of luck with them though fella, you might enjoy them ^_^

Oh.... damn. :boredlook:

I would like to fit bigger tyres, like those seen on other scalers, but my wee truck just doesn't have the available arch clearance! Also, the wheelbase would likely need altered, because the front wheels aren't central to the arch.

To be honest, as long as it isn't USELESS, then I'm relatively happy. In the long run, I want a Komodo, anyway! :P

EDIT: Also, it isn't much, but the new tyres are 10mm bigger than last time, so only 8mm less than the FTX ones.

Edited by Praet0r87

3 minutes ago, Praet0r87 said:

Oh.... damn. :boredlook:

I would like to fit bigger tyres, like those seen on other scalers, but my wee truck just doesn't have the available arch clearance! Also, the wheelbase would likely need altered, because the front wheels aren't central to the arch.

To be honest, as long as it isn't USELESS, then I'm relatively happy. In the long run, I want a Komodo, anyway! :P

EDIT: Also, it isn't much, but the new tyres are 10mm bigger than last time, so only 8mm less than the FTX ones.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so negative to your truck then lol, my bad!

If your old ones were 90mm, no wonder you couldn't get anywhere lol.

96 would be my limit, that's what I had on my Gelande II D110, they fit perfectly, but it took me quite a lot of trial and error of buying the wrong ones :lol: that truck was all about looks... Although, the new owner has informed me it performs very well.

23 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Sorry I didn't mean to sound so negative to your truck then lol, my bad!

If your old ones were 90mm, no wonder you couldn't get anywhere lol.

96 would be my limit, that's what I had on my Gelande II D110, they fit perfectly, but it took me quite a lot of trial and error of buying the wrong ones :lol: that truck was all about looks... Although, the new owner has informed me it performs very well.

Nah, you're alright fella. It's all good stuff!

Yup, from 90mm to 100mm, so given the radius is 5mm bigger, that should offer me 5mm more clearance, no? :P

You... SOLD a Gelande II?? :o You're mad! That's like a dream RC!!

1 hour ago, Praet0r87 said:

Nah, you're alright fella. It's all good stuff!

Yup, from 90mm to 100mm, so given the radius is 5mm bigger, that should offer me 5mm more clearance, no? :P

You... SOLD a Gelande II?? :o You're mad! That's like a dream RC!!

Well, yes it should :) although it also depends on foams and rubber compound ;) lol, I won't get too technical :D

And yes I did... Sadly, I realised I had no chance of really using it, whether it be locally, or further a field, it's not one I'd just put in my bag and it was far too big and heavy to carry it round by hand while using another truck (I always carry two in case one breaks down)

I also had a very good offer from a good friend and I did what I really aimed to do which was repair it all.

First time he took it out, he said nobody could stop complimenting him on it :lol: which feels very rewarding in itself!

23 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Well, yes it should :) although it also depends on foams and rubber compound ;) lol, I won't get too technical :D

And yes I did... Sadly, I realised I had no chance of really using it, whether it be locally, or further a field, it's not one I'd just put in my bag and it was far too big and heavy to carry it round by hand while using another truck (I always carry two in case one breaks down)

I also had a very good offer from a good friend and I did what I really aimed to do which was repair it all.

First time he took it out, he said nobody could stop complimenting him on it :lol: which feels very rewarding in itself!

Ahh, well... good man!