• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Ultra-4 & Outlaw SCT Conversion

t2boats

The ali motor mount will reduce any degree of flex between the pinion and spur gears. I'd prefer fitting them (axle parts) as it prevents any slop which develops in the steering and rear axles, caused by general hard cornering and impact from bumps etc.. I've fitted ali hubs/knuckles/arms to my Hooligan and Viper, there's no play at all now. Very precise steering.

And yes, they're nice to have I guess too :D

Quick update: seen as I'm waiting for the ali motor mount to arrive, for the time being I want to get some respectable speed out of this and get the stock brushed motor actually working with some effort, so I've fitted a cheap n cheerful Chinese esc which can handle a 3S Lipo. Used them on 3S before and they work no probs. Knew it would come in handy one day! Braving the elements outside with this storm it's had a quick trial for a minute - and it's not bad to be fair. Going to fit the GPS to it and see what speed it returns.

Also fitted the Turnigy 17kg metal geared servo, works with ease.

IMG_0586.JPG

Edited by t2boats

Used that servo on a few things including the Outback as well as now the Outlaw. Do have a spare 30kg servo handy but don't think it'll be needed. 

Weather is actually looking pretty decent for tomorrow. Bright sunny day according to the weatherman

John.. 

Edit

weatherman just changed his mind. Now just sunny afternoon followed by heavy rain.  :ack:

Edited by johninderby

1 minute ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Really looking forward to seeing this in action, lovely looking rock racer!

I'd best my little tripod out for the phone n make a video. Charged the gps ready over night :good:

• Like 1

Hi chaps, Happy Xmas to you all!

I've ran the Outlaw yesterday on 3S doing a speed test with the GPS, made a short vid so will post it up when I've put it together. For the stock motor and pinion running 3S, it returned a decent lick of speed.. ran it for approx 15mins with no problems, and each run it was becoming slightly faster as the motor was breaking in. will upload the vid link later when I get chance.

• Like 1

Finally got around to uploading a video to YouTube of the Outlaw.. 

Fitted the aluminium FTX hubs/knuckles/steering arms straight away, but while I'm waiting for the ali 23tooth motor mount to arrive I thought it'd be rude not to give the rock racer's brushed motor a blast. So to give it a little bit of serious shoving I replaced the esc with another brushed esc which has a voltage limit of 16v - 3S was being charged while fitting that esc.. Also added the Turnigy waterproof 17kg metal geared servo too. 

Enjoy the video! I had to ease off with the intitial acceleration due to the chassis twist :rolleyes:

I'm certain it'll become quicker the more use that motor has. It's got some serious poke off the line, have to feather the throttle on take off. Was pleasantly surprised anyway by its speed on that pinion, the 23 tooth should return near 40mph, perhaps reach it.

5 hours ago, NOFX said:

Goes well :) . Whats it like where it belongs?  ( up & down & slanty stuff)

Don't know yet, not had chance to get out amongst the more demanding terrain. Judging by how supple the suspension is I think it'll cope just fine. So far I'm liking every aspect of the Outlaw other than one thing: the idea of having a dedicated motor mount to suit only one size pinion :ack:  

though, on the other hand when I fit the brushless motor with the ali 23t motor mount I'll no doubt never change the pinion! Still, the option has been taken away (or severely limited in that respect to just two pinions) by FTX for rc users who would wish to change pinions to suit batteries and kv etc..

• Like 1

Having a slight issue with the drag brake from the brushed ESC I've temporarily fitted to the Outlaw until my brushless mount arrives. At one point on its first run I let go of the throttle to see it suddenly do forward roles at its top speed on 3S :huh:  it's drag brake when the trigger goes to neutral is massive, and not wanted! Made a vid earlier of the difference between 2 and 3S Lipo on the Outlaw - but with sadly no real difference between the performance of the drag brake, it's still harsh on 2S. Surely there's a program card out there which can be used to change the parameters.. Sorry about the poor light, it was still all dark n gloomy where I live at that time of the morning (the youngest had me up early, I think her voice can be heard in the background in the video)  Nice ballooning of the tyres though :D

Just had a thought, I think I'll adjust the throttle trim ever so slightly to ahead, so when the trigger is released it's still sending a forward signal to the receiver. So hopefully, in theory, it won't engage the drag brake to that severe level..

Yeah using the standard stuff, it's alright and does the job. Shame it takes 8x AA's though :huh:  Will try the adjustment later on and let ya know! I'll move the trim just so the wheels start to move forwards and very slightly take it back, it'll be quite finite but it should work hopefully..

That's the way! Perhaps I'll use my other tx in future, for the time being though it can stay where it is.

Quick update - I tried the adjustment....and it's still aggressive but not quite as bad. When using it until the ali mount arrives (not even in stock yet) I'll have to feather the throttle back to help it reduce speed at a more acceptable rate. I couldn't take it any further forwards as the wheels began to twitch, so it's set to just that point before. One other thing - sounds like the top end revs have increased though :D

Already had a new unused Etronix radio so didn't need another one. 

Noticed the Outlaw has been getting faster everytime I run it. Getting a bit fed up of waiting for the 600BB motor to arrive. Has been sitting in the Hermes German hub for 10 days now. They must have a long Xmas break. And I thought Hermes was slow in the UK. :crying:

John

Yeah it'll get faster too as it breaks itself in with use.. there's a clear difference in mine now to when I first used it! Will have to try another speed test soon next time I'm home from work. I think these are a decent motor with some oomph up its backside, impressed with how well it's performed anyway :good: