• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pros and cons. Which micro?

A Return

Following and initial discussion of buying the cat a toy -> rc car, ive now looked into it and it seems there is a fair bit of choice out there. my intital thought were of a losi 1/24 scte brushless, but the price is putting me off, i then looked at ECX, which was promising as they look great but none are brushless (initialy this was for the cat, but now im going to make it a worthwhile purchase, otherwise id just get an rc mouse) then i started looking at carisma and wltoys offerings and now im really confused and is there anything else ive missed in 1/36 1/24 scale?, so much choice! Im leaning towards the carisma 1/24 rally, but if anyone has any advice, or horror stories to help steer me in the right direction for something quick, durable, reliable, and nimble in tighter spaces, id like to hear them!

Edited by A Return
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, A Return said:

Following and initial discussion of buying the cat a toy -> rc car, ive now looked into it and it seems there is a fair bit of choice out there. my intital thought were of a losi 1/24 scte brushless, but the price is putting me off, i then looked at ECX, which was promising as they look great but none are brushless (initialy this was for the cat, but now im going to make it a worthwhile purchase, otherwise id just get an rc mouse) then i started looking at carisma and wltoys offerings and now im really confused and is there anything else ive missed in 1/36 1/24 scale?, so much choice! Im leaning towards the carisma 1/24 rally, but if anyone has any advice, or horror stories to help steer me in the right direction for something quick, durable, reliable, and nimble in tighter spaces, id like to hear them!

I can only speak for the Carisma GT24's buggy as i've never had a go with any of the other small scale brands. The Carisma ones though are really good and great fun for the money, i think they are around £75 or £80. There's a few guys i know who have upgraded theirs a bit, you can fit a 2's lipo, alloy shocks etc etc. They have also got them working with sticks instead of the wheel transmitter that's supplied. Spares support seems to be good, Carisma are very good with their spares on their other scale/classes.

I race a Carisma GTB and the quality is extremely good and strong. These are just the same but smaller :D

Edited by MattyV6

I certainly recommend the little GT24MT. I compared it head to head with a much bigger 1/18 Pitbull and it was no contest. The Pitbull was struggling on my back garden pea gravel course and kept getting hung up getting up and over patio slabs but the GT24MT just went over everything with ease. Result...Pitbull now sold. I was surprised at how well it could keep up with a 1/10. Not the equal due to it's size but not embarrassed either. 

John

cheers for the replys guys, a gt24 it is then! That blue and yellow gt looks really smart! Must take some skill to paint something so small so well.Buggy would be my first choice, but not so cat frendly, same goes for the monster truck. So it looks like its going to be the rally hyundai, no shocks or tower sticking out for the cat to chew, and wheels covered so the cat doesnt get tyre burn on its nose when chasing. The more i look at them the more im convinced im going to end up with a collection of them :rolleyes:

Edited by A Return

thats not your cat?!? ours has already destroyed the wallpaper, id imagine the body will need renewing after little time at all. 

The rally i20 looks smart but id rather have an older body on it and im not a fan of the odd colour wheels, but itll do for now. There doesnt seem to be much on the market by way of aftermarket bodies for them yet, i guess that might change or ill be getting a buggy body and painting that. i can see this is going to be a slipery slope.

The Armortek Tiger is the only "cat" in my house at the moment. ;)

1/24 seems to be really taking off lately. Some decent cars coming out now. Do like the i20 but wish the wheels were all the same. Extra wheels are due in February though so easy enough to sort out or maybe just repaint either the front or rear.

John