• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

shipping used lipos on their own

stupar

Apologies for the thread that is a hot potato subject.

I have 3 Overlander Sport Track lipos that I would like to sell so that I can purchase a shorty pack for my Vaterra Ascender.

from what I have researched there is virtually no carrier that will take these batteries for shipping.

How do you guys ship out your 2nd hand lipos when you sell them?

At the moment I have mine on Gumtree for local collection but obviously the audience is rather narrow than compared to a specific RC audience and the batteries are too good to just go too waste.

Thought are much appreciated!

I no longer sell used LiPos on their own. It's just getting to be too much trouble to ship them legally. I know some people are just sticking them in a Jiffy bag and not declaring what they are . It seems that every day the shipping regs are being tightened up.

Not much help I know but what can you do?

John

It's a shame really.

I would have assumed that a lipo with a storage charge and well packed is of no more risk than any other battery being shipped....maybe I am wrong.

If the worst case scenario ends up being that I need to dispose of them what is the safest method of doing so....is it the salt water bucket way?

As they have no way of telling if a used LiPo is safe to ship they just won't take the risk. Funnily enough some couriers will still accept a used LiPo if it's shipped with an RC. 

The salt water bucket method is fine but I don't bother as the local tip has bins for battery disposal. 

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...