• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobbyking Basher Rocksta 1/24 Crawler Kit

johninderby

Hobbyking Basher Rocksta 1/24 Crawler Kit

One of these little kits arrived yesterday. Although it's called a kit it is fully assembled and just needs the electrics installing. Not a bad quality crawler kit really for the price. The electrics installed in the RTR leave a bit to be desired so getting the kit lets you upgrade and still save money compared to buying the RTR if you have a suitable radio..

I'm going with the stock motors for now as they're cheap so won't lose much if I do upgrade them. Fitting them is easy enough. Remove a wheel and disconnect the link and the bottom of the shock. Then unscrew the ball connector and remove the small hex bolt just above the ball connector and remove the plate. Slide the motor into place with the wires positioned as per the photo. Then replace the end plate and refit the shock and link. Note that the end plate won't fit down properly if the motor wires are on the wrong side. I did change the wires and connectors on the motors to standard JST ones.

I went with the Turnigy TGY-9025MG metal gear servos as they are a lot stronger and faster than the ones used in the RTR but fit perfectly.

Next to fit the RX and ESC and fit new battery connectors. I'm using a Quicrun 1625 brushed ESC with a Flysky 3ch receiver which just fit.

John

Rocksta-KIT.jpg

Rocksta-2.jpg

Rocksta-3.jpg

Rocksta-4.jpg

Rocksta-4.5.jpg

Rocksta-5.jpg

Rocksta-6.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Apparently you can lock out the rear steering with a couple of screws in the rear steering arms. As the radio I'll be using has the four wheel steering option built in I'll be using it for now. 

Should have better control with upgraded esc and servos. Have the feeling could be fitting faster motors before long though but that would idealy mean putting metal gears in as well.

John

What do do with my two :/  I should have known better really - every other KIT i've had from HK has come pre-built, I really wanted these for the boys to have fun building and not have to worry re issues and the £ invested.  

• 4 weeks later...

johninderby

I'm getting a couple of these for Crimbo but I've read the gears are stripping really quickly and people are replacing with metal ones but I can't seem to get info on them, could you recommend replacement metal gears, also batts that will fit.

Cheers

14 hours ago, johninderby said:

Thanks mate, that's a pity because people are rating this pretty well with the gear change.

12 hours ago, stretch said:

The rtr is currently of offer for £49.05 and the kit £27.34 tempted to get one but the plastic gear problems are putting me off as will be a let down for the kids if it breaks on Christmas day.

My sentiments exactly but i might just go ahead anyway and hope for the best.

• 4 months later...

But... QuicRun 1625 has no option to turn off brake and go fwd/rev like the larger models.  REALLY DUMB on Hobbywings part (even cheap chinese esc's let you configure). I'm also wondering why you went with it, @johninderby?  Gotta have instant reverse! No Brake!  I complained bitterly to Hobbywing that they totally botched the 1625 for no reason whatsoever (costs nothing in size or $ to have allowed a no-brake option just like the others of this product line).

The only suitable ESC I have found for this rig is an unbranded chinese "no-brake" esc from ebay - the green 10A one with a capacitor on the power leads, not the red 20A switchable one with no capacitor.  The red one jitters horribly at slow (i.e. crawling) speed, and the green one is ok.  I've also tried the Hobbywing 1060, but it's unnecessarily overkill at 60A; for 1/10 scale and way too big - leaves no place for the RX (awesome performance though, much quieter and smoother than the unbranded green esc).  Dang Hobbywing.

Why are there no name-brand ESC's for 1/24th or 1/35th scale crawlers?  Sad that this scale is not popular enough to get decent gear, now that several kits have come out over the past few years (Losi, Redcat, Basher, HBX, etc).  Admittedly 1/18 is more popular, but still lacks a decent ESC IMO (doesn't need a 60A+! and again, the 25A Hobbywing is no good!)

Edited by roachslayer

• 1 month later...

I have had one of these for months now, and still running on the plastic gears, all I did was strip them down and greased them well before I even run it for the first time.  I do have 2 sets of the metal gears ready to go in though - but while it aint broke...

rdDSCF1523.jpg