• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

5ive_t won't start

andy and dan

So a few weeks ago I took the 5ive out for a bash and noticed the fuel line had split so replaced it the car hadn't been touched since my last outing about a month ago and was running nice before so was suprised when it wouldn't start 

So today I've changed the plug checked the switchblade replaced the fuel but no spark should I change the coil or am I missing something obvious 

Can the coil gap suddenly change the point being it was running spot on got put away after running it dry of fuel got it out changed return fuel line refueled but wouldn't start So ran my dbxl instead got a new new pull start and fitted it as the original one was a bit notchy but still wouldn't start changed plug as the one in was the original from new checked for spark and nothing 

I've never had engine out or messed with it because I've never had to so don't know how to check coil gap all wires seem ok I've unplugged kill switch from receiver and disconnected push button kill to rule them out I shouldn't really be into this hobby as I'm not too technically minded 

On 16/09/2016 at 20:17, andy and dan said:

Can the coil gap suddenly change the point being it was running spot on got put away after running it dry of fuel got it out changed return fuel line refueled but wouldn't start So ran my dbxl instead got a new new pull start and fitted it as the original one was a bit notchy but still wouldn't start changed plug as the one in was the original from new checked for spark and nothing 

I've never had engine out or messed with it because I've never had to so don't know how to check coil gap all wires seem ok I've unplugged kill switch from receiver and disconnected push button kill to rule them out I shouldn't really be into this hobby as I'm not too technically minded 

Hi,

if you disconnect the Switchblade from the receiver but leave it connected at the coil the engine definitely won't start, however if you completely disconnected the push button and Switchblade from the coil you should have a spark.  Obviously if the engine runs like this you'll have no way of stopping it without pulling the plug cap or restricting fuel running the risk of it running lean.  I would suggest that you concentrate on the spark.

To test the spark remove plug and reconnect the cap.  Hold the threaded section of the cap against the engines head to create a ground connection and pull the engine over.  It helps to be in a dark room for this.

Still no spark?

As suggested try gapping the coil, loosen the coil, take a business card and place it between the coil and flywheel as a spacer and tighten everything up.  Remove card and try again.  If you still get no spark and you have already changed the plug it can only be a bad connection in the plug cap or a duff coil.

I had a coil fail on me around 2 years ago, but it isn't very common on these.

I hope this helps

Lee

Switchblade disconnected from receiver and from kill button 

Yes good strong spark reconnect kill button back to coil without switchblade and boom still good strong blue spark will swap switchblade for a spare I have tonight and should be up and running again I'll check plug joint I have put in the switchblades wires to enable me to remove battery tray or engine separate when I get home tonight thanks joly_Roger