• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to rc and need help please

Damo88

Hello all I'm Damo 

im very very new like 2nd day into the hobby. 

i recently brought a kyosho pureten gp alpha 2 off some one on eBay. It was advertised as full working order but it seems this isn't true.

So the issue steering right is fine turns correct amount and returns to front facing but turning left is very slack hardly movement and does not return to front facing at all. I've looked to see if something was obstructing anything but it seems all ok

I've braved into the "I have no idea" and took off the entire power box that contains the servos by removing the horns from the actual servo

i really don't know what's what and how to fix the issue any help would be appreciated 

eBay seller has left me hanging no refund offer so I'm stuck with this and not knowing enough to fix it myself

thanks in advance

Hello.

I know not of this pureten gp alpha 2 .  But others will :)

At a guess

• it could be a simple matter of the servo saver not functioning correctly
  • Maybe the linkages are binding on the offending side.  Is the steering free and smooth with the servo horn off?
  • Perhaps the servo is naffed.  Does it function correctly with the horn off?

Got any pics? or a small vid would be useful  ;)

Welcome to the madness btw :lol:

Drafty thank you for replying , my knowledge of everything rc is very very small so i didn't understand everything you mentioned I'm sorry I'm a noob ?

with the horns disconnected they work just fine move same distance and return to center position so I'm thinking these are working right so I think it's the actual bit the steering rod is attached too 

ill try try post a picture from my phone now 

thanks for your input so far !

That be the servo saver, is it spring loaded, is it loose.

Don't know about these but when my steering was a bit stiff it was my top plate acting like a clamp when put back on the steering posts.

I had to put some washers in place to act as spacers and free it.

It feels fairly easy to move the wheels right but left is tight and even tighter trying to put it back in the center after moving it left so yeah stiff left loose right , thanks for the advice I'll have a fiddle and see if I can do anything as a fix here and thank you for educating me ?

Okay so by moving the horn on the actual connector but of the servo tooth by tooth I managed to get the flat spot in the middle 

So turn left then release and it retracts same with the right so basically the the problem is equally spread between left and right so either way when I let off steering it retracts back just not far enough for it to be facing straight.

i guess you could say it's a flat spot I don't know how to word this I'm sorry lol 

Okay so by moving the horn on the actual connector but of the servo tooth by tooth I managed to get the flat spot in the middle 

So turn left then release and it retracts same with the right so basically the the problem is equally spread between left and right so either way when I let off steering it retracts back just not far enough for it to be facing straight.

i guess you could say it's a flat spot I don't know how to word this I'm sorry lol 

Im not entirely sure how yours works but my guess is the servo saver has unscrewed too much, and is hitting the chassis plate.

You would need to tighten this back up

It would also give you loose steering in the centre

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that you may well have it right there mate ! I put the car back together last night .. First time I ever took one apart at all so was slow process lol but I'm going to pick some fuel and new glow starter up today as eBay seller supplied me with a duff one and give the car a run to see how it reacts to the steering 

if it won't ride straight I'm going to take the servo saver and have a closer look 

thanks fir for the help so far guys !!

I think that you may well have it right there mate ! I put the car back together last night .. First time I ever took one apart at all so was slow process lol but I'm going to pick some fuel and new glow starter up today as eBay seller supplied me with a duff one and give the car a run to see how it reacts to the steering 

if it won't ride straight I'm going to take the servo saver and have a closer look 

thanks fir for the help so far guys !!

Its good to take it apart and put it back together, gives you a much greater idea of how things work, also how they might break.

• Like 1

Not sure what my phone did there but ok lol , so went to model sport today one just down the road from me wahey :) but sadly there closed on Wednesdays ... What ?!! 

Just outta curiosity after I've got the steering sorted what's my chances finding some one with a hpi branded car to swap with ? 

Update : so today new glow starter and fresh fuel and it turned over running like a dog but it turned over ! 

Steering test no trim pulls heavily to one side , trim all the way right bias it almost drives straight 

but at least it's some what returning to neutral

tonight I'll pull it apart and do more tweaking see if I can fix this issue on the upside a friend has same car sat in his she'd been sat for long time wants to much for whole car but few beers maybe he will let me buy parts ;) 

getting there ...

Update : so today new glow starter and fresh fuel and it turned over running like a dog but it turned over ! 

Steering test no trim pulls heavily to one side , trim all the way right bias it almost drives straight 

but at least it's some what returning to neutral

tonight I'll pull it apart and do more tweaking see if I can fix this issue on the upside a friend has same car sat in his she'd been sat for long time wants to much for whole car but few beers maybe he will let me buy parts [emoji6] 

getting there ...

To set this straight you want to take off the servo horn, turn on your electronics.

Have the trim on 0 or neutral then make sure the wheels are straight and put the servo horn back on.

You may have to adjust the trim slightly but you shouldn't have to adjust it much

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sayce97 said:

To set this straight you want to take off the servo horn, turn on your electronics.

Have the trim on 0 or neutral then make sure the wheels are straight and put the servo horn back on.

You may have to adjust the trim slightly but you shouldn't have to adjust it much

Cheers buddy ! Seems the servo saver has gone back to being tight again and not returning to neutral so I'm going to see if I permanently free that up then I'll do what you said with servo horn and that and I'll update 

thanks to all who've helped so far

So new servo is in took the entire front apart and nothing looks bent or broken the servo saver seems to be fine .. Car still not steering right tho it's not pulling to one specific side like it was its now .. If I steer left and release it pulls left if I steer right and release it pulls right ... ?? I double checked for damage and servo saver and nothing appears to be at fault 

outta ideas ...

What radio system are you using?

try swapping channels ie: plug the throttle servo into the steering channel and see if it still does it

is your receiver battery fully charged or if you are using AA try changing them

Any chance of getting a video up so we can see what is happening

• Like 1

Problem solved ! New servo saver and handles fine .. Got the car started went for a little run and wahey new issue :( throttle but car moves dead slow even full throttle still slow moving it will pick up speed eventually but I cut it off and went back in the house as something is for sure wrong