• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Km002

master farter

Evening all, just got a new km002(orange one with pink!) haven't even had a chance to run it in yet....but is there any mods that need doing straight away? I've got s kill switch to fit before I even start it so that's covered. I've checked tightening of screws, bolts etc..

One I can certainly recommend is to wrap a couple of layers of gaffa tape around the wheel extenders on the rear, only on the part where the drive pin goes through though. Reason being the drive pins are notorious for falling out when the allen bolt works loose so the gaffa tape will stop the pin falling out even if the bolt backs out. A lost drive pin can ruin a days bashing as I have discovered lol.

• Like 1

I use gaffa tape and a cable tie as the pins still came out with the gaffa tape.

37 minutes ago, mike1980 said:

One I can certainly recommend is to wrap a couple of layers of gaffa tape around the wheel extenders 

Also any metal on metal bolts will probably need a drop of thread lock.

• Like 2

I got one for xmas! Go through it with loctite as iv had loose exhaust, lost brake screw,throttle/brake servo replaced, hub pins lost replaced with nut and bolt, rear tyres ripped, apart from that its been good. Just upgrade as things break! Thats what i do.

Edited by n3il
  • Like 1

DEpends how fussy you want to be....

The KM I had came with some horrid thin goo in the diff in place of good quality silicon diff oil. There was also very little grease in the gearbox itself.

I sorted all that before I ran it, and made sure all metal in metal fixings got a dab of threadlock. I think they fit better servos now, but when I got mine....the stock servos were toytown specials and I swapped both out. I also refilled the shocks with good quality oil.

It's been rock solid reliable ever since. Oh...and I did change the engine for a 4 bolt CY 27.2cc unit.

• Like 2

I use 10K silicon diff oil too....for 'normal' petrol motors, it's fine. Mental motors might benefit from thicker....

10K is a good compromise for most surfaces.

this:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-cml-racing-pure-silicone-diff-oil-10-000-wt-/rc-car-products/28538

is what I use.

If you want the back end 'looser' use thicker oil. That reduces the slip in the diff and makes the rear axle more solid. Great for donuts. Less good for turning. On loose surfaces it would help with traction. It's really down to feel and how you like it.....but 10K is a good start point.

CV grease for the gearbox.