• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OHOs 'Mad Max' Axial Yeti RTR

Very nice. Majorly waterpoof I'm guessing!

Am i the only who likes to watch these videos with no music on though? I like to hear the cars and whats going on lol.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Nic01 said:

Very nice. Majorly waterpoof I'm guessing!

Am i the only who likes to watch these videos with no music on though? I like to hear the cars and whats going on lol.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Yep, they're good to go from the box in the water :)

I quite like without music... I add music if there is a lot of wind noise (there was) and if someone swears (he did :lol: )

On 12/12/2016 at 19:09, Oh How Original said:

Both the Yetis out the other week actually, forgot to sort this footage out!
Thankfully got round to it, I think it came out decent, some nice slowmo and water splashing, which I'm a sucker for lol.
Hope you enjoy! :)

Top work enjoyed that, only wish I had somewhere like that to run mine, I have to wait until we go away to get the right terain.

Just now, shaunm said:

Top work enjoyed that, only wish I had somewhere like that to run mine, I have to wait until we go away to get the right terain.

Cheers Shaun :) yeah, pretty luck to have that close.

It's been taken over by horses at the moment, they were very distressed last time we went, so we're avoiding it now, don't want to stress the little ones out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan @Oh How Original

How are you getting on with this?

I have sold my Losi 8IGHT as I want to stick to bashers running 2s lipo's really. I am very tempted by the Yeti, would probably go for the kit over RTR as the motor KV is a little low for just 2s running.

Any input would be appreciated, either this or wait until the Losi RockRey is released, no model is perfect, both the axial and the losi have improvements to be made.

10 minutes ago, ostewart said:

Hi Dan @Oh How Original

How are you getting on with this?

I have sold my Losi 8IGHT as I want to stick to bashers running 2s lipo's really. I am very tempted by the Yeti, would probably go for the kit over RTR as the motor KV is a little low for just 2s running.

Any input would be appreciated, either this or wait until the Losi RockRey is released, no model is perfect, both the axial and the losi have improvements to be made.

I've not run it since the last post... I got a bit fed up of the wheels leaking in, so I'm doing the SSD conversion on it to widen the rear axle and so I don't have to run staggered hubs, it's probably the worst bit about the whole truck is the stupid staggered hubs, they are such a weird design as well.

So I'm switching over to some metal beadlock rims that will seal, I'm just still trying to find a single Axial narrow hex, because I gave one away never thinking I'd use them again and now I need them and don't want to have to spend £17 for 4 :(

I also need to find some 2.2 rims that I like, or some beefy 1.9 tyres, I have some 1.9 SSD D hole rims here off my SCX10, but the tyres are too small.

Overall, it really is one of the very best trucks I've owned and most know, that's alot of trucks to choose from.

I'm most definitely no Axial fanboi, but the SCX10 and Yeti rank 1 and 2 respectively on my favourite overall RCs ever.

My videos honestly don't do justice to what abuse I've given this rig, they also don't do justice to just how capable it is.

I've aimed it at things my SCX10 and Wraith failed to conquer and it just goes.

I opted for the RTR, purely because that's what they had in stock at my local shop and they offered me a good deal as well, so I went with it.

Since I bought mine, I've also bought my Dad one as well and he feels much the same, after years of using his Scout and being very happy with it, he was completely blown away by what this does.

Same with Ray and his Summit, it will do things the Summit won't (usually because the Summit is too wide)

If it lacks in one place, I'd say it's the grip roll on tarmac/concrete.

But use it on loose surfaces or wet surfaces and I doubt there's an RC that does it better.

If there's anything specific you want to know though, just ask.

FYI; I run mine primarily on 2s, so does my Dad and they run really well, you honestly don't want this thing to have too much speed, this design of vehicle just isn't made for it.

It's all well and good seeing the over edited videos the manufacturers make, but in reality, I'm sure most long term owners would agree, you really don't need bags of speed.

I do run mine on 3s as well just because I have some and it's faster, but I wouldn't say it's better.

• Like 2

Yes mate, even stock servo, it's held up really well, it has enough power and speed for any situation I've been in and for a non sensored combo, it's probably one of the nicest brushless systems I've used.

I think the only real advantage with the kit, is getting CVDs over dog bones... Even things such as those metal plates for the links and trailing arms bend, so you're better off going with an upgrade solid piece anyway, I'm using Vanquish titanium upper links and SSD trailing arms, solid set up, fit and forget.

The thing I hate most though is the wheels, they can't be sealed, by their own design, so keep that in mind if you plan to get it wet.

FYI; I'm using the cheap Fastrax CVDs in mine and they've held up very well so far, I think they were about £17 when I bought them, so if you did go for the RTR, the fact you need to buy some CVDs isn't the end of the world.

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oh How Original said:

Yes mate, even stock servo, it's held up really well, it has enough power and speed for any situation I've been in and for a non sensored combo, it's probably one of the nicest brushless systems I've used.

I think the only real advantage with the kit, is getting CVDs over dog bones... Even things such as those metal plates for the links and trailing arms bend, so you're better off going with an upgrade solid piece anyway, I'm using Vanquish titanium upper links and SSD trailing arms, solid set up, fit and forget.

The thing I hate most though is the wheels, they can't be sealed, by their own design, so keep that in mind if you plan to get it wet.

FYI; I'm using the cheap Fastrax CVDs in mine and they've held up very well so far, I think they were about £17 when I bought them, so if you did go for the RTR, the fact you need to buy some CVDs isn't the end of the world.

Yeah I know about the trailing arms from the Bomber I had, best to get real solid ones, rather than plates. And CVD's are a must if you want it to turn.

Decisions decisions... Are you not even running HD gears in the rear?

4 minutes ago, ostewart said:

Yeah I know about the trailing arms from the Bomber I had, best to get real solid ones, rather than plates. And CVD's are a must if you want it to turn.

Decisions decisions... Are you not even running HD gears in the rear?

The CVDs I'm running have held up fine so far :) and no, no HD gears, tbh, a lot of it is scaremongering and people upgrading things that don't need it, or I'm just incredibly lucky.

I've run 3s many many times through mine and it's geared up (using the RRP Gen3 slipper and spur you sold me lol) on very rough terrain and it's not really broken anything major.

There gears are still nice and smooth, drivetrain is all smooth to be honest and I'm still on the stock plastic propshaft as well, although I feel that might get upgraded at some point.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

The CVDs I'm running have held up fine so far :) and no, no HD gears, tbh, a lot of it is scaremongering and people upgrading things that don't need it, or I'm just incredibly lucky.

I've run 3s many many times through mine and it's geared up (using the RRP Gen3 slipper and spur you sold me lol) on very rough terrain and it's not really broken anything major.

There gears are still nice and smooth, drivetrain is all smooth to be honest and I'm still on the stock plastic propshaft as well, although I feel that might get upgraded at some point.

Thanks for the input!

Weighing up the options, with a kit + hobbywing max10 combo + SRT waterproof servo (20kg job) = around £420 if I get it all in the UK, about £10 cheaper from china. Then that leaves enough for either trailing arms, or beadlocks... Or upgrade those down the line.

2 minutes ago, ostewart said:

Thanks for the input!

Weighing up the options, with a kit + hobbywing max10 combo + SRT waterproof servo (20kg job) = around £420 if I get it all in the UK, about £10 cheaper from china. Then that leaves enough for either trailing arms, or beadlocks... Or upgrade those down the line.

Worth every penny of it :)

I'd probably be still more inclined to go for the RTR myself, but I suppose if you go for a kit, you can get all the electrics you want from the off, I'm actually happy with the stock Castle electrics myself though.

I keep looking at the Yeti Score, but I know I need to be sensible and save my money for a bike lol.

• Like 1

With the RTR I would probably swap out the servo straight away anyway, sell the Tx/Rx, get CVD's and possibly turnbuckles.

Might as well start off with CVD's and Turnbuckles in the kit, along with HD gears. Also the Max10 ESC has a 6v/7.4v BEC so better than the castle kit, and a 3200kv motor (4000kv will probably be too much). 

Difficult to decide, as I should probably not get another RC, with my E-Firestorm as my basher and Ascender as my scaler. Shall have to think... I really could use the money for better things.

Edited by ostewart

Just note the stock motor is 3150kv anyway, so a 3200 won't give you any advantage.

I'm also on the stock turnbuckles, I've kept the steering fairly stock, mainly so theirs some play when I hit something, on the loose terrain it's designed for, a blip of throttle turns you round far quicker than a tight turning circle would do, CVDs are a must, but I've left everything else stock so far, as far as steering goes... I think I may even still be using a plastic horn!

Ohhh, good times ahead, thanks to Oscar, I finally pulled my finger out and got my Yeti fixed, rebuilt the rear axle with the SSD extensions and some new serrated wheel nuts, to hopefully hold them on better.

And also fitted some new alloy knuckles and castor blocks, only eBay China specials, but we'll see how they hold up in comparison to the plastic.

Also ordered Vanquish titanium turnbuckles as I've noticed excessive play and the Vanquish Antirock swaybar :)

I had a little help ;)

2u43hxj.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, James1986 said:

Dan where's best to order Vanquish stuff from nowadays? Still stateside I presume?

I know you didn't ask me, but RCMart is a good place to order from if they have it in stock, as no import fees.

Also used the French shop Fanatic-RC.com but prices will be higher.

• Like 1

I have some snow footage coming up, but it's not finished yet, as for editing, tbh, I'm fairly new to it, but I do have a background in art and graphic design, so maybe it came to me a bit quicker, but honestly, once you learn the basics, it's just a case of using some imagination, I personally don't follow the YouTube form, of just making silly clickbait.. I just make stuff I enjoy watching myself :)

And 9 times out of 10, I'm filming my own cars too, especially with the GoPro, you either need some creative mounts, or learn to drive well single handed :D thankfully, I've got reasonably good at both lol.

1 hour ago, James1986 said:

Dan where's best to order Vanquish stuff from nowadays? Still stateside I presume?

It's never been best to order most stuff from the states James, as Oscar said, RCMart is the best place in terms of avoiding customs and good delivery times, I used to order certain things from the states when the exchange rate was better, because some things worked out much cheaper even after shipping and import fees, but really, not very often.

Places like RRP and Vanquish themselves also charge stupid shipping prices!

I remember getting a $43 shipping quote for something, I can't remember what it was now, but I remember RCMart sent the same items for $6, and the item prices were cheaper too.

Rather annoyingly, I just received an E-Mail from RCMart for the first time, saying the Antirock swaybar is out of stock, so I've asked them to give me a refund for that and just send the turnbuckles as normal, fingers crossed their aren't too many delays!

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 1

I know most of us probably do our own RC maintenance, but I thought I'd take the opportunity while switching from standard AR60 axle, to an SSD extended axle, to video the process and show those who aren't so confident, that it's not hard and you gain experience, it can also be fun.
Just to be clear, in case you don't check the video description, I put the diff in backwards on purpose, I was meant to talk about how easy it is to lose track when you've flipped your RC over and something to watch out for, unfortunately, I completely forgot to talk about it!
I'm only 6 away from 150 subscribers now, which I set as a goal, I'd really really appreciate it if you'd hit the subscribe button and even like/share my content! :)

• Like 1

Why did you go from a metal case back to the plastic? Always found mine to be a little suspect with screw fixings being rounded out after over exuberant tightening. Just curious always interested in others ideas.

1 hour ago, shaunm said:

Why did you go from a metal case back to the plastic? Always found mine to be a little suspect with screw fixings being rounded out after over exuberant tightening. Just curious always interested in others ideas.

The metal one gets hung up on stuff too much and I didn't like how it was black underneath, it was only a cheap one anyway... I was going to fit the tubes, then realised they aren't long enough now lol, might have to custom order some!

Never had a problem with the screws rounding out personally, only reason I originally went from a plastic one to metal was I snapped a plastic one and couldn't find stock of another plastic one.

I was a bit too hard on it, doing silly things, I'll take it a bit easier and hopefully the housing won't snap again lol.

• Like 1

Another install video here on my Yeti, again, I know a lot of us do our own already, but figured if it helps just one person then it was worth the time it took to make it (longer than expected!)
I'd also really like to hear some feedback, for those who watched part 1, which you found easier to follow.
In this one, I don't talk, it's all on screen prompts when I felt they were needed.
I'd love some feedback on it, good or bad, please.

• Like 1