• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Buggy Flux issues

TimS

I'm looking for some help please - I'm new to electric and am a little outside my comfort zone.

I recently purchased a used HPI Trophy Buggy Flux to use in my local park, where I'm unable to use my Baja 5t and need an RC fix!

The Trophy is running on 5000 mAh 4s lipos and when running (on grass) seems to cut out quite quickly, even though the batteries have still got a decent charge left in them. If I leave it for a minute of so, It'll go off quite happily again, but not for long before I have the same issue.

Does the problem lie with the ESC overheating and cutting out - especially if I'm running on grass at full throttle, or could it be something else?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your message.

Yes, but not nearly so quickly - I suspect that's because I'm not running it at full throttle for long periods. Could it be a wiring issue and what would I be looking for with the LED's?  

as its a HPI, should be a rebadged Castle esc, you should be able to search for the manual. I don't use Castle so don't have a manual. Or like I said, invest in a temp gun unless you have one for the Baja. Motor protection kicks in around 95 degrees on the esc but ideally you want the motor running 70 degrees or less. Turn the timing down on the esc if you have the pit card or castle link to decrease motor and esc temps.

• Like 1

Is it running the stock electrics? Rage esc and scream 1950 motor?

If so the ESC is a rebadged hobbywing sct and is only 80A rated so most likely a heat issue from too many amps pulled on grass.

Temp guns are a must with these things to be honest.

The ESC can be programmed using the hobbywing led program box too if you break the switch ;) 

Get a smaller size pinion perhaps depending on what's in it now. The stock elecs are borderline using the standard 15T.

A  120a ESC is needed really tbf

Edited by dazp1976
  • Like 1

Thanks for your message dazp1976 - yes, I am running stock electrics and what you and Nutty Professor say re running on grass makes sense, I'm also possibly not letting the ESC cool down enough between runs.

I've ordered a temp gun as you've both suggested.

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TimS said:

One more question if I may, I'm currently running a stock 15t pinion. If I go down to a 13t or 14t pinion, do I need to change the spur gear?

No. As long as the motor gets close enough to mesh correctly.

Anyhoo if you put on a 14t and changed spur to a 47t gearing wouldn't change, same applies to 13/44, 16/53 etc. You only effect real change by changing one or the other.

• Like 1