• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Nitro fuel

DBXL Smithy

6 minutes ago, DBXL Smithy said:

I want to start getting in to Nitro again, but the only problem I had was the fuel cost a bomb! £7.99 for 1 litre.

Is there anywhere that sells the fuel cheap?

Not that I've ever found!  It is really expensive, obviously if you buy 5 litres its a bit cheaper per litre.  Modelsport seems to have the cheapest Byrons fuel that I've found, I think all their fuel prices are competitive.

2 minutes ago, Rory said:

Not that I've ever found!  It is really expensive, obviously if you buy 5 litres its a bit cheaper per litre.  Modelsport seems to have the cheapest Byrons fuel that I've found, I think all their fuel prices are competitive.

Shame the fuel lastas on 5-10 minutes would be awesome if it lasted 30 minutes. I had a nitro car few months back sold it though and was going through a litre of fuel within an hour. :(

A litre of fuel in an hour is a lot!! I've never done in that much.  What size engine was it?

Do you fancy a 1/5th scale baja or something instead? When I had mine 5l petrol would last a summers use easily, could get 30 mins run time from a tank.

Edited by Rory

16 minutes ago, DBXL Smithy said:

Shame the fuel lastas on 5-10 minutes would be awesome if it lasted 30 minutes. I had a nitro car few months back sold it though and was going through a litre of fuel within an hour. :(

I guess it would depend on how the engine was set up and the engine size, although I am a newbie I know that my RC is using a huge amount of fuel as its being broken in, might be worth checking fuel mixtures + temps - you might be able to lean out the mix slightly but it depends on the size of the engine.

• Like 1

Don't run the car on grass. That'll help fuel consumption :lol:

Would be good if they could get the design right to use normal fuel in a nitro size engine. So far it seems a bit of a fail :( 

29 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Don't run the car on grass. That'll help fuel consumption :lol:

Would be good if they could get the design right to use normal fuel in a nitro size engine. So far it seems a bit of a fail :( 

Yeah the hpi and Losi small petrols seem to get pretty poor reviews, it might come one day, just before the oil all runs out lol

• Like 1